Pinky Count / Double lift drills to do

Jul 28, 2017
So I am ok at double lifts and practicing the pinky count but wondered if anyone has any advice on practicing it effectively.

The issue I am having is not being able to accurately do a pinky count without looking at the cards as I cannot hear or feel the cards as they riffle off. So I have no idea if I did 1 or 2 or 3 counts. I have motor-sensory neuropathy and CMT so generally my "feelings" aren't great, but I want to keep going to see if I can actually do it anyway. Maybe there is something I am missing and just using my condition as an excuse hehe.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
How long have you been doing a pinky count?

It will be a long long time before you can do it without looking at the deck. You need to just practice it. At first, you wont even be able to tell if you are doing it or not. But after a ton of practice, you should be able to get it down fairly easily. For know, here is probably the practice you want to do:

Look at the deck.
Do a 2 count
Double lift, flip it back over
Repeat

Every few times, give the deck a cut. Remember to take breaks, as the pinky count puts a lot of strain on your hand.

After a lot of practice you'll get it. You will start to hear it first, then feel it.

And there is nothing wrong with riffling the pack to get a break during a performance, as long as there is some motivation to do so (normally I riffle the pack after squaring it, just out of habit, and to make it look clean. When I first started performing, my pinky-count was trash, so I riffled after squaring the pack and got a break. Still do every once in a while, if I end up skipping a card, or feeling unsure)

Good luck!

Reactions: RealityOne
Oct 20, 2016
Oklahoma
So I am ok at double lifts and practicing the pinky count but wondered if anyone has any advice on practicing it effectively.

The issue I am having is not being able to accurately do a pinky count without looking at the cards as I cannot hear or feel the cards as they riffle off. So I have no idea if I did 1 or 2 or 3 counts. I have motor-sensory neuropathy and CMT so generally my "feelings" aren't great, but I want to keep going to see if I can actually do it anyway. Maybe there is something I am missing and just using my condition as an excuse hehe.
Definitely just keep going. I don't have either of the conditions you have so I can't speak to that. It took me a couple months to get the grip how I like it and get the feel and the strength. Like any move in card magic, it takes time. Don't get discouraged!

Jul 28, 2017
Right so I am slowly getting it but my issue is with relaxing after I have counted 2 cards off. I am supposed to relax and unbevel the deck to catch the break so the hand is an natural state and the break is held. But when I try to relax my hand I don't see how my pinky can catch the break without the cards fall back down.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Right so I am slowly getting it but my issue is with relaxing after I have counted 2 cards off. I am supposed to relax and unbevel the deck to catch the break so the hand is an natural state and the break is held. But when I try to relax my hand I don't see how my pinky can catch the break without the cards fall back down.
The pinky is supposed to hold the break as you relax it. Essentially, the cards will square up over the pinky allowing you to hold the break.

How deep do you hold your breaks? With a Pinky count, it is important to have the break not deep. In fact, that goes for pretty much all pinky breaks.

Jul 28, 2017
The pinky break is anywhere between 4 or 5 cards thick and maybe 10 cards. Still practicing it so the variation is quite big but usually not more than 1cm break. But when I relax my hand to let the cards square up over the break they don't actually square up over the break. I have to forcefully move my pinky up more to sort of push the cards I am trying to get a break under further up.

I suppose my hand / brain will get it eventually but just looking for anything I can do to make it happen more consistently to help with the practicing!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
The pinky break is anywhere between 4 or 5 cards thick and maybe 10 cards. Still practicing it so the variation is quite big but usually not more than 1cm break. But when I relax my hand to let the cards square up over the break they don't actually square up over the break. I have to forcefully move my pinky up more to sort of push the cards I am trying to get a break under further up.

I suppose my hand / brain will get it eventually but just looking for anything I can do to make it happen more consistently to help with the practicing!
I think your break may be to big. Try doing it with just the tip or face of the pinky.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results