Pointless by Gregory Wilson

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
Heya, it's Anna and this is my first product review. I wanted it to be something good and this effect sure is in my book.

This effect was recommended to me by a very close friend and excellent performer all the way from Colombia who is staying here in LA. He was also one of the few stage performers that passed the September 2010 auditions for the Magic Castle Junior Program. I took him to the Castle last Saturday and he made 80$ for his performances which he VERY nicely shared with me and two of our other friends who performed. This effect was one of the tricks he did just before we got paid. I happily used the twenty along with my money to buy the effect. This effect is Pointless. The effect has a point, it is just named "Pointless". :p

–Effect:
This is Gregory Wilson performing Pointless:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0gArqhzxk0
BE IN MIND THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO IT THIS WAY. I DON'T, THIS TRICK IS VERY NICE IN THE WAY THAT YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN ROUTINE. AND YOU END PERFECTLY CLEAN FOR THE SPECTATOR TO SEE, IT IS A REAL BIC PEN.

–Price:

I paid $39.99 for my version of Pointless however I am sure it will depend on who you buy it from.
If you buy it from his website http://www.gregorywilsonfx.com/ it will be about 40$ plus shipping and tax. Haha, I saved a penny :cool: on my copy which I purchased at a magic shop in Studio City, CA.

–What's in the box?:

Hopefully you will be smiling when you open the box and if not then you are smiling on the inside like me.

Pointless is a DVD and inside is the actual pointless pen which you perform with. This pen is a Bic pen which is either blue or black. Mine was blue however as you can see in the video above I think Mr. Wilson uses a black Pointless pen.

–Pop in that DVD:

Menu:
The DVD is an average magic DVD. Nothing special with the DVD menu but the music did start to scare me last night at about 3 am. Hopefully you won't get that experience.
Sections:
1. Promo Clip
2. Intro
3. Performances
4. Explanation
5. Gimmick
6. Special Features
7. Pen Tips
8. Cutting Room Floor

The Promo Clip is what I linked to above.

The Intro is a bit of history on the effect and a thanks for purchasing the DVD.

There are 7 different performances of the effect in the performance section which I think is good because you can watch someone who has been performing it for a long period of time.

The explanation section is what you expect. The quality of teaching is… Eh, they could have done better. For example in the second phase Mr. Wilson flies by what you should do and for the last phase which is the most difficult which raises a problem. I would give it a 6 or so out of 10. Which in my high school translates to 60% and you all know what that is worth. However, it is still fine to understand. It is not like he is speaking starwars. You can understand what to do fine it is that he just doesn't go into perfect detail.

For the gimmick section they explain the gimmick and if you get the gimmick stuck in the cap it says how to get it out which is helpful if you reach that problem. Thank god I haven't. Do I knock on wood or something? Really…I don't understand when to knock on wood or not.

The Special Features were my FAVORITE part because they got the creative juices flowing. My juices are grape flavored :p. When I first opened up the box and popped the DVD in I was a bit disappointed in the first performance because I love exciting performances with grape flavored juices and not a bland magician which is what I felt I got. The Special Features section is where you get to see 4 other performances of different people who have made their own routines with this and that really helped me in the way that I instantly was hooked on this trick and I was able to have a little road map to see which moves I want to do and construct my own routine. The 4 performances are:

Christian Grisier, which was the most entertaining for me because he had a more of a I am twenty and not fifty style (no offense to anyone). In his performance in the end he tosses the pen on the ground for the tip to switch places which I thought was unique compared to the original handling.

Carl Andrews

Garrett Thomas

Grip & Greg

In the Pen Tips section Mr. Wilson gives 6 tips which he did not in the explanation portion so if you are confused in any way you might find a solution here.

Cutting Room Floor is just Mr. Wilson playing around and performing for a couple spectators. As well as a yoga kid who is damn good and flexible. With some other things that were shot while getting footage for the DVD.

OVERALL:

For DVD quality if you care about that stuff I'll give a 7.5/10

Bang for your buck is probably 8/10 but for me it is a 9/10.

Teaching quality is a 6.5/10

The trick itself is a 9.5/10

For me I made my own routine which I LOVE. I think there is something everyone can get out of this. Heck my friend from Colombia got a whole bunch of CA$H. This is an effect that is both fun and good looking. YOU WILL PERFORM THIS and you will get good reactions.

***If someone guesses something is up there is such an easy out in the face that you can remove the easy gimmick and boom, your clean and you can hand the pen to them. It is a normal Bic pen and it even writes.

It is a buy for me and I am very picky.

Thanks guys, have fun with this one.

Nov 8, 2007
Really nice review. Very thorough.

I have a question though. You said:
This effect is Pointless. The effect has a point, it is just named "Pointless".

What do you believe is the point of the effect? I agree it's visually very impressive, but I really don't think it's much more than eye candy. As Jon Allen says, how does the effect answer the question "So your point is...(SYPI)?" When the effect is over, they'll say "Well done." You did a piece of magic, yes, but what was your point?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
Really nice review. Very thorough.

I have a question though. You said:

What do you believe is the point of the effect? I agree it's visually very impressive, but I really don't think it's much more than eye candy. As Jon Allen says, how does the effect answer the question "So your point is...(SYPI)?" When the effect is over, they'll say "Well done." You did a piece of magic, yes, but what was your point?

Hmm…My point? Well the point in this trick is to take an ordinary object, ie, the most ordinary brand pen in the world and do something amazing with it like most magic. It is to entertain.

I like magic with stories. My routine is that I keep two caps on my pen and explain it because the pen gets confused and disorientated. I continue further that it is because I spin my pen around my thumb and say it doesn't know which way to go and so we try to fix this and then when it is fixed the pen is already in the spectators hand and I ask if the pen is fixed. They see it is totally normal and so all is well. Oh, and I worked very hard on this routine so please no one take this idea. I strive to be original in ALL of my performances.

Oh, and for difficulty of course it will depend on what moves you want to use. This DVD is jam packed with them. ;) I would say difficulty is a 4/10.

It does require some work to make it smooth in a way that you don't make any noise with the gimmick. It is a fun trick so of course like most magic you won't see it as work. Just the way we like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 8, 2007
Hmm…My point? Well the point in this trick is to take an ordinary object, ie, the most ordinary brand pen in the world and do something amazing with it like most magic. It is to entertain.
That's what you're doing, but the question is why are you doing it? What's in it for the spectator?

I'm not trying to say the effect doesn't or can't serve a purpose in your repertoire. It sounds like you have a nice routine worked out. I'm just trying to figure out what purpose do you see the effect fulfilling for you and your spectators in your magic?

Nov 8, 2007
I isn't like I can give them the pen in the end. I am not sure that I understand you quite well. What is in it for the spectator? Um, entertainment through magic perhaps????
I don't want to hijack your thread and take it of course with a longwinded explanation, as this isn't the place for it, and doing so would be rude. Perhaps I'll start a separate thread on what I'm getting at some time.

You wrote an excellent review and it seems like you have come up with a cool presentation. Glad you're enjoying the effect. Keep up the good work, Pikachu!

Jun 10, 2010
I don't want to hijack your thread and take it of course with a longwinded explanation, as this isn't the place for it, and doing so would be rude. Perhaps I'll start a separate thread on what I'm getting at some time.

You wrote an excellent review and it seems like you have come up with a cool presentation. Glad you're enjoying the effect. Keep up the good work, Pikachu!

We can easily make the "gimmick" with a papermate pen, right? I have a very good idea of how it's done, but still...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results