Portal

Hey gys, i know that it is cliche, but i posted a video of portal. the video quality is kinda bad but, i would like you guys to tell me what you think. and i think that it looks better with the production after the vanish, and not simultaeneusly. but that is just my preference, it kinda of makes it seem like there is an actual portal, lol. but i don't know. here it is.

Portal

Thanks!

I re filmed portal, and so it is now in this thread. please watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 28, 2007
hot damn 2 portal videos in like 24 hrs!

might as well tell you what i thought of it, uhhhhh i didn't like it, i guess it would be fine for laymen but not for me. first off your spreads were hardly spreads try elongating those more maybe by holding it in the DMB position like dan(or dave) says makes everything neater.

and the way you did your double lift just seemed a little awkward you might as well just set it down on the spread i mean you were so close to it :)

next time you make a video please cut it off before you reach for the camera i can't stand that!

so yeah work on it as i said it would work for a spectator but not for me.

ps. what was up with you using a guardian deck while there was a propaganda box right right there?!?!?!?!? :)

hot damn 2 portal videos in like 24 hrs!

might as well tell you what i thought of it, uhhhhh i didn't like it, i guess it would be fine for laymen but not for me. first off your spreads were hardly spreads try elongating those more maybe by holding it in the DMB position like dan(or dave) says makes everything neater.

and the way you did your double lift just seemed a little awkward you might as well just set it down on the spread i mean you were so close to it :)

next time you make a video please cut it off before you reach for the camera i can't stand that!

so yeah work on it as i said it would work for a spectator but not for me.

ps. what was up with you using a guardian deck while there was a propaganda box right right there?!?!?!?!? :)

i have like twenty propaganda boxex lying everywhere... lol

Jul 14, 2008
It may be impressive to laymen, but to tell you the truth, not for me. From what I can tell, you may want to practise the DL a little bit more because you want to make it look convincing. 4/5 from me.

Nov 26, 2008
i know that i didn't do the DL properly, i did that on purpose...

Then why do it?

I really like this trick and can be wonderful for laymen once it is done veryy well.
For magicians... not so much, we are like uber heckers that know where you sleep. But this doesn't mean you shouldn't try to fool them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then why do it?

I really like this trick and can be wonderful for laymen once it is done veryy well.
For magicians... not so much, we are like uber heckers that know where you sleep.

very well put.... the thing is that this trick really isn't even intended for magicains.... i mean it is really easy to follow no matter what. it doesn't really matter about the double lift, cause it will fool the people i showing it too. then don't know the differnence between one card and two cards. and doing a double lift one way, rather than doing it another way isn't going to fool a magician.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I have fooled magicians with my double lifts before.

You were saying?

Anyway. Same problem as with Travel, really. I don't need to be narrated to, my eyes work properly. Also - what happens when you get a tough cookie? The fact that you didn't do the DL properly will ruin it, sooner or later. As with any sleight you don't bother to learn properly. It just feels like excuses not to practice properly to me.

Nov 10, 2007
very well put.... the thing is that this trick really isn't even intended for magicains.... i mean it is really easy to follow no matter what. it doesn't really matter about the double lift, cause it will fool the people i showing it too. then don't know the differnence between one card and two cards. and doing a double lift one way, rather than doing it another way isn't going to fool a magician.

I think you are ust making an excuse because you do not want to learn it properly. The way you did your dl was not very convincing.

Sep 20, 2008
I dont udnerstand why the exact same patter has to be used with the ever Dan and dave trick. Im sure a lot of people have mentioned this. the whole

"We'll take one card from the middle... The King of diamonds. we'll place it in this half, and watch.. as we push it in, it jumps from that side.. to the other. your card... The king.. of... Diamonds. "

What in the Flying F is that? why use that same monotonic tone of voice? Speak normally, is that how you talk in person? Ive used a lot of DnD's material, but ive varied the patter so that it fits my personality. I dont understand that. I really dont.

Oh and, Nice job. Disliked the DL as everyone else mentioned, but it was pretty slick. 0/10 for the patter.

9/10 for the Sleight itself (the double. but it was cool.)

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
I dont udnerstand why the exact same patter has to be used with the ever Dan and dave trick. Im sure a lot of people have mentioned this. the whole

"We'll take one card from the middle... The King of diamonds. we'll place it in this half, and watch.. as we push it in, it jumps from that side.. to the other. your card... The king.. of... Diamonds. "

What in the Flying F is that? why use that same monotonic tone of voice? Speak normally, is that how you talk in person? Ive used a lot of DnD's material, but ive varied the patter so that it fits my personality. I dont understand that. I really dont.

Oh and, Nice job. Disliked the DL as everyone else mentioned, but it was pretty slick. 0/10 for the patter.

9/10 for the Sleight itself (the double. but it was cool.)

I honestly couldn't agree more, and it's a shame because for the most part everyone that does this executes the moves really really well! :(

- Sean

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
It was ok I knew this was goinig to happen know one is going to learn the double properly.

I was thinking the same thing.

Not an attack on Cardistry77, but I feel people are going to not learn it properly, then compromise it by trying to over do the double and try to make it look epic.

oh well :(

-Kevin

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Here's my advice to all portal performers:

SEPARATE YOUR HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all the performances of Portal so far, the two hands are like 1 inch away from each other! Separate them!!!!!!!! Here's why:

When the spectator sees the spread, the left hand packet, and the out jogged card so close together, they see it as ONE IMAGE. And since all the cards are face down, this makes it super confusing and therefore a lot less impressive. But if you were to separate the hands, the spectator will see TWO IMAGES, one of the spread and one of the left hand packet. That way, its much more easy to follow and will seem much more impressive. So when you're about to do the vanish, give a good 2 or 3 feet distance from your left hand to your right hand.

Sep 20, 2008
When the spectator sees the spread, the left hand packet, and the out jogged card so close together, they see it as ONE IMAGE.

How do you know? this is clearly biased. Show this to a layman, as in a stranger in a coffee shop. Not in a forum infested with Flourishers, magicians and 'Card jugglers' (teehee, another jab at flourishers) who have been so exposed to double lifts, that its the second reflex action besides 'Pandora'.

Oh and, i am disgusted by my typographical errors. i apologise :< (cant be arsed to edit them out. Bare with me.)

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
How do you know? this is clearly biased. Show this to a layman, as in a stranger in a coffee shop. Not in a forum infested with Flourishers, magicians and 'Card jugglers' (teehee, another jab at flourishers) who have been so exposed to double lifts, that its the second reflex action besides 'Pandora'.

Oh and, i am disgusted by my typographical errors. i apologise :< (cant be arsed to edit them out. Bare with me.)

No, I'm not talking about the double lift. I'm just saying that you shouldn't your hands so close together when doing the vanish and reproduction.

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
I honestly couldn't agree more, and it's a shame because for the most part everyone that does this executes the moves really really well! :(

- Sean

And I agree too.

I've created my own patter for this trick and I've not even perfected it. Making patter isn't the hard bit, it's just most people don't care about it when it is one of the most parts of a trick.

Nov 26, 2008
And I agree too.

I've created my own patter for this trick and I've not even perfected it. Making patter isn't the hard bit, it's just most people don't care about it when it is one of the most parts of a trick.

ha! Why would we make patter that is such an Oldie thing, we should be monotone and wait for the next Dvd that comes with patter.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results