Practice!

Keep in mind,in magic,performance is the BEST way to practice.
Unless all one does is move monkey card tricks then yeah,practicing independently is just as well.

That is very true, but (not to start an argument) without practicng first performance will bear no fruit.

I'll use the comparison again- Once a student of fine art learns to draw, he must apply his drawing skills along with other skills such as painting to create a finished composition. But, without the basic foundation of drawing, the final piece will sub par. You can be shown a beautiful work of art with one minor flaw, and that flaw will ruin the overall feel of the piece.

Same goes with magic and performing.

But yes I do agree that you must perform to legitimately improve your abilities.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
That is very true, but (not to start an argument) without practicng first performance will bear no fruit.

Its not an argument. Its a discussion.
Well like your analogy,the art student always displays his first work.And it is obviously novice. But through it being displayed the audience,teacher,helps him in improving his art. (in magic,that being the reactions and what/how the audience say what they say)
Which is tons more efficient than the student drawing home alone and just keeps drawing and drawing and will never know what is wrong or how he can improve.

Its not an argument. Its a discussion.
Well like your analogy,the art student always displays his first work.And it is obviously novice. But through it being displayed the audience,teacher,helps him in improving his art. (in magic,that being the reactions and what/how the audience say what they say)
Which is tons more efficient than the student drawing home alone and just keeps drawing and drawing and will never know what is wrong or how he can improve.

Hmm... very good point. Just to continue the discussion, the student must have a basis first. If I saw someone do... the time travel card, and then went out right then (knowing the method but not practicing) and performed it, it wouldnt be pretty. A small basis is needed, then performance hones the skills in the best way possible.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Hmm... very good point. Just to continue the discussion, the student must have a basis first. If I saw someone do... the time travel card, and then went out right then (knowing the method but not practicing) and performed it, it wouldnt be pretty. A small basis is needed, then performance hones the skills in the best way possible.

Oh well of course.
He has to at least get the trick done before performing.
But constant practice of the same trick even though they know how to do it and very little to no performance experience with it is what im against.

Oh yes then i agree whole-heartedly. I think one should practice until he can do the effect smoothly 100% of the time (not necessairly perfectly) and then go out and perform it. perfection will come from re-working flaws that are realized in a live performance.

Altough it is usually a very angle-sensitive environment, I love school becaus I on average perform about 5 tricks a day and i must say it has imprived me greatly in the 2 or so months i've been in school this year.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results