Pressure Disclaimer?

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
This is exactly why I like t11-

Input from everyone on a certain topic.

Back on topic-
I dont think your spectator will always speak up. I mean part of the effect is just doing it. Not "i'm going to put your cellphone in this balloon" if you told them what you are about to do surely they would speak up but I think it kills the effect. So I agree with most when a casual mention or joke about allergies would be most appropriate.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Hmmm, that's fair enough.
But don't you think that your spectators are a little smarter than that? If they had an allergy I'm sure they'd speak up about it.

To be fair, I know of some people who just being around the latex can start a reaction. It's a rare case, but it never hurts to ask.

The residue left on the phone from latex can also set off people sensitive to it.

Same applies to the Electric Touch. It may be rare, but make sure they don't have a pace maker.

Never assume spectators will give you disclaimers ;)

-ThrallMind

Jul 26, 2008
NJ
To be fair, I know of some people who just being around the latex can start a reaction. It's a rare case, but it never hurts to ask.

The residue left on the phone from latex can also set off people sensitive to it.

Same applies to the Electric Touch. It may be rare, but make sure they don't have a pace maker.

Never assume spectators will give you disclaimers ;)

-ThrallMind

That's why I only do Electric Touch to people I know will not have a pacemaker. Small children. :D

I know there are latex free condoms. Balloons however, I do not know.

When performing the effect, if someone has an allergy, then they will state it if something appears which can effect them.

If someone pulled out a balloon in front of me and I had the allergy, I would say to them. I am sure people say if they have a allergy if they need to?

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
I know there are latex free condoms. Balloons however, I do not know.

When performing the effect, if someone has an allergy, then they will state it if something appears which can effect them.

If someone pulled out a balloon in front of me and I had the allergy, I would say to them. I am sure people say if they have a allergy if they need to?

But should we really count on that? I'm not so sure

Jan 13, 2008
But should we really count on that? I'm not so sure
For some reason, this reminds me of the case where places that serve coffee now have to put "CAUTION: CONTENTS MAY BE HOT" on their cups.

One would hope that common sense would rein supreme, but apparently that isn't the case in all instances. I suppose the same could be said about this effect.

While I commend those who will be offering a disclaimer, I'll stick to not giving one--just because I'd hope that a spectator who has an allergy to something I am holding and plan to use in conjunction with their item (or, at least, plan to handle while handling the balloon, from their perspective) would have enough common sense to at least comment on their allergy. Or, at the very least, not want to take back the cell phone until it was thoroughly cleaned (which I would gladly do). If not, well, I guess I'll just have to take responsibility for that (although, you can be damn sure I'd be arguing that they didn't take their own safety seriously enough--there has to be a point where one is responsible for their own safety when it comes to an obvious situation; luckily I'm in Canada, where the amount of frivolous cases (against individuals, not corporations) is much less than the U.S., heh). :)

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
Today I showed this effect to a few close friends who are also magicians. Instinctively I offered the bag of balloons asking them to pick one. Thats when it dawned on me that this could be a test of if they allergic or not... just a thought...

have a good one

Here's a thought. When I used to be an event coordenator for Babies R Us it was againt corporate rules to use balloons that were made from latex. Allergy and choking hazard for small kids.

Why not just use latex free balloons? Just seems like such a simple yet over looked thing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results