Printing and binding purchased ebooks for personal use.

Dec 29, 2017
When it comes to books, I honestly prefer a real copy instead of messing with my tablet. I feel like I don’t absorb what I read as well when it is in a digital format. Of course there are probably more pros to just getting over it... anyways.

I was wondering where this would sit on the legality spectrum. From what i’ve gathered, as long as the arrangement isn’t changed (perfect/wire binding) it technically isn’t mucking in the illegal territories. Of course no plagiarism, altering, selling so on and so forth.

This would mainly be for physical books that are currently too pricey for my current situation or too difficult to get ahold of. Also wire binding on some books would be just downright convenient.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
As long as you have obtained the digital copy from the owner of the copyright or the work is no longer under copyright, you can print a digital copy for your own use.

Dec 29, 2017
As long as you have obtained the digital copy from the owner of the copyright or the work is no longer under copyright, you can print a digital copy for your own use.

So if they’re deceased and I acquired it legally then I imagine it’s safe. Though I’ll obviously put in my due diligence beforehand. IANAL so it’s always good to ask around in case you missed something. Like
how copyrights extend well beyond death.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
If you have obtained a legal copy, you typically are able to print it for your own use. However, check the website of the company you purchased it from because they are able to put in certain restrictions.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results