Professional Magician

Aug 19, 2008
OK, so I've been doing magic for about 6 years now, along with balloon twisting, and I'm picking up fire eating. I've done restaurant work and birthday parties. Now I want to get myself really out there. How do I become a touring magician? How do I get on cruise ships? How do I get on TV shows? How do I get a job at a big magic dealer like Theory11?

Sep 1, 2007
OK, so I've been doing magic for about 6 years now, along with balloon twisting, and I'm picking up fire eating. I've done restaurant work and birthday parties. Now I want to get myself really out there. How do I become a touring magician? How do I get on cruise ships? How do I get on TV shows? How do I get a job at a big magic dealer like Theory11?

Let me answer those with more questions.

1. What's your target market?
2. What time frame are you expecting to complete all of this in?
3. Do you have any experience whatsoever in marketing and copywriting?
4. Why should someone hire you instead of someone else?

Wecome to the working life mate! Let's see if I can't help answer some of these questions for you.

The first question I have for you is what kind of magic do you do? Are you close up? Stage? Mentalism? Balloon twisting says kids parties while fire eating says adult only. So I think you should probably start off by figuring out exactly who or what your image brand is, and begin branding it.

Next, having done three national tours, let me tell you right now get that out of your head. There's absolutely no money in it. You tour to build your resume, to knock a few locations off your bucket list, and to help perpetuate your brand. But with the cost of traveling, and the cost of living while on the road, you'd have to be playing the game on Copperfields level to make any rea money out of touring. That isn't to say you will be in the red, but it's just a rough way to go. You're bread and butter is cock tail parties and corporate events.

TV, and Cruise ships are possible but you'll need demo reels, head shots, and you'll need to know how to sell yourself because you're not the only one wanting to get a piece of that action. It all comes down to networking! Meet peope, know people, and connect with them.

As for working for T11 or E, my question to you is what do you have to offer? Do you have unique tricks? Inventions that are so awesome that they can't do business without you? Again it goes back to networking. Get some video of your work done, and then meet the people who make the decissions and find a way to get infront of them.

Also go to Jamie D Grant's website and buy his book "The Approach." It's exactly what you need right now.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'd like to point out one thing -

There's a difference between "getting a job at a big magic dealer" and "being a creator for a big magic dealer".

One has a steadier paycheck, for instance. That paycheck is often smaller, too.

I assume the procedure is fairly similar, though. Show the people in charge you're good at what you do. For creating, make some videos of your performances of a tricks you've created. Make those videos well, and make them interesting. Show that you can work professionally. For 'jobs', just show that you can do what you're wanting to do for them. In my personal experience, I volunteered on forums and answered people's questions competently, while showing an ability to stay neutral and also communicate my points well.

Good luck.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Firstly, stop being a Jack of All Trades and focus! To be a BRAND you have to offer a set package, something bookers "know". The Great Thomsoni or Mr. Electric and Shimada are brand names of old but they stood out because of what they did day after day, night after night, year after year. While there's always room to mix things in and out, you have to have something that buyers can be comfortable with . . . or uncomfortable with if your like Draven or I.

Video is a must and I do mean top quality professionally planned and produced video not someone's school project. . . I say it that way as someone that' waded through dozens of home-made videos which will get you nowhere. . . put money into it and get something to be proud of. Before you do thsi you must have a product, an image and a target market planned and it must be practical to your location and circumstances.

Richard Webster put a book out some years ago about planning for business, it's a generic presentation with some adjustments for teh magic world, it's inexpensive and you (everyone new to show biz) should have it and work with it. You should also invest some time into getting business classes under your belt as well as some straight theater and comedy improv experience.

Best of luck!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results