Psychological Subtleties

Apr 1, 2009
California
Just last week I ended up purchasing Psychological Subtleties 2 and 3. Don't think I want to post a review due to the simple fact that even though they're quite popular, I'd rather not draw any more attention to them due to wanting to keeping them for myself. An absolute gold mine. Now to the question. I was reading the introduction and they mentioned reprinting Psychological Subtleties 1. Does any one know if this plan is still going through, or if there is ANY possible way I could buy the version already out for less than a fortune?

From what I understand and through confirmation of some magic buddies of mine last week, it is still happening. He is reprinting and reworking some of the material in it. To be honest though number 1 was a lot of stuff I learned when I first started off 2 and 3 are very amazing for the slightly more advanced material.

Apr 1, 2009
California
Yeah, I don't neeeeed some effect based. I was mostly interested in PS1 for the other aspects. Well then... I look forward to the release!

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Taken from Steve's site:

"We intend to reformat and reprint Psychological Subtleties during 2010 with a release date of February 19, 2010 at the Blackpool convention. The intent is for this book to look more like Psychological Subtleties 2 and 3 in terms of format, layout, dust jacket, illustrations and size. This will take some time to make it right and we know the you will be pleased with the final result.

The contents of the re-formatted book will be the same as the original so those who already have the first book will not have to buy the new book to gain additional knowledge; however, if you want to have an attractive addition to your library so it sits neatly next to PS2 and PS3, then you might want to consider a purchase of this reprint."

DC

Sep 10, 2007
Co.Dublin in Ireland
Care to expand on that?

Well I like the first and third because the first has great tools to use that are psychological and the third has great effects that are psychological. But I didnt like 2 because I didnt enjoy the effects and wanted psychological effects, not trickery with psychological presentation. You know? Is that what you were looking for? Also I know that a lot of people disagree with me but that is just how I feel.

Apr 1, 2009
California
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Too often people make long rants about effects and products being bad, due to the fact that they don't work for them. When more often than not, those same effects can be masterpieces to others. I will say that I like PS3 better. The whole section on Dates alone felt like I just purchased a weapon of mass destruction. Although it's incredibly difficult, it will seriously be powerful once I master it. That effect could easily make you look like Rainman.

Reactions: Karo-K54
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Whaaaat!? The first half of PS2 was ALL psychological effects! TERASABOS! The Book of Lies! Even Red Hammer! The Orchestrated Force! I could go on. Are we reading the same book here? :S

And the value of the book is not in its effects anyway, so I think you missed the point there.

Reactions: SemihV
Sep 10, 2007
Co.Dublin in Ireland
Whaaaat!? The first half of PS2 was ALL psychological effects! TERASABOS! The Book of Lies! Even Red Hammer! The Orchestrated Force! I could go on. Are we reading the same book here? :S

And the value of the book is not in its effects anyway, so I think you missed the point there.

Yes but most of it was not, especially in comparison to PS3 and PS1. Also I didnt like the presentation points, and the fact that it teaches facts about the brain that TO ME was useless. Also some of the psychological effects just weren't new but used ps1 work. I didnt use them. One effect has a description that it is impromptu when it actually has a Massive set up. I forget what the name was.

Anyway that is MY opinion and therefore there is not much point arguing your opinion. I just did not find it useful at all.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Yes but most of it was not, especially in comparison to PS3 and PS1.

You're saying that half of it was, but most of it was not? lol... But I get the comparison thing, that's fair enough.

Also I didnt like the presentation points

I can't see how you wouldn't, but that's fair enough.

and the fact that it teaches facts about the brain that TO ME was useless.

Ok, that, for lack of a better word, just seems ridiculous. You want to learn psychological magic without learning about the brain?! Maybe you should take up sponge balls if you don't want to learn about the brain. If you were a medium, or some other sort of mentalist, that would be a reasonable comment, but it stands to reason that if you want to perform psychological magic, you should understand what you're performing. Maybe a specific fact will never be useful to you in any practical sense, but trying to perform psychological magic without general knowledge of the brain is like trying to perform card magic without knowing what a double lift is - even if you never use a double lift, you should still know it, and knowing it makes you a better card magician.

Also some of the psychological effects just weren't new but used ps1 work. I didnt use them. One effect has a description that it is impromptu when it actually has a Massive set up. I forget what the name was.

Fair enough.

Anyway that is MY opinion and therefore there is not much point arguing your opinion. I just did not find it useful at all.

I find most aspects of your opinion fair enough (bar the obvious one). I don't have any desire at all to argue with your opinion, and I think most of them are reasonable. It's just that opinions are limited by perception, and I felt your perception was, in turn, slightly limited through fallacy.

Sep 10, 2007
Co.Dublin in Ireland
Oh I really would like to snap my fingers and then you would understand what I mean, not agree just understand. But I cant snap my fingers and make tha happen. The reason I want to do that is because I am not explaining it very well.

Ok the first half has only a small bit of psychological things in it but while a few effects make use of a subtletie from ps1 they use trickery, for example (i forget the name of the trick but here is a description) people raise their hands when the magician names numbers to show what number they are thinking of. The magician then takes out a newspaper to show that there is an add showing the number of people that thought of the most popular number. It uses mostly trickery but a small bit of psychology from ps1.

The parts about the brain are not useful for an act FOR ME. I found them interesting (I even have 2 books on the brain because I love the central nervous system but they are not for magic) therefore the parts about the stroop test ect are interesting just not helpful for my magic. I do like to understand why the psychological forces work but the psychological effects ect dont use a principal were we dont notice 2 words in a sentence.

I didnt like the presentation points because I would not use them. Ok now that is my opinion just enjoy your opinion and let me enjoy mine.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Whoa, relax buddy, you're more than entitled to your opinion. All I'm saying is that I think you've missed the point of a couple of things, and you certainly missed the point of my post. But never mind, go ahead and enjoy your opinion. I'm not trying to change that. My posts aren't about opinions, they're about perceptions, as I mentioned.

Sep 10, 2007
Co.Dublin in Ireland
Whoa, relax buddy, you're more than entitled to your opinion. All I'm saying is that I think you've missed the point of a couple of things, and you certainly missed the point of my post. But never mind, go ahead and enjoy your opinion. I'm not trying to change that. My posts aren't about opinions, they're about perceptions, as I mentioned.

Sorry it was definately my fault I am sorry I barked at you. I missed the point of a lot of things thats just me. Sorry for my idiotic behaviour.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results