Put the cards down...

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
There are hobbyist magicians. The only reason you perceive them to be part of the artistic community is because some of them still insist that they're artists when they aren't.

Nothing wrong with being a hobbyist as long as you call yourself what you are. Not everyone goes pro with magic for the same reason not everyone who plays guitar joins a band.

Yeah,your right as always.

I guess I've just never liked the fact that magic is now something under the "hobbies and games" section.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
We are magicians.
To our audiences eyes we can do anything. Read minds,levitate..pull bunnies out of hats.
And the majority of the magic im seeing performed are card tricks.

There is so much more magic that can be done.
For example I produce ice at will whenever I feel like.Or even once when I was hungry I told my friends to take me out to eat.when they refused I simply said "fine" cupped my hands over an empty spot on a table and produced a McDonalds burger.(fully wrapped of course).

So there it is.
You can either choose to start creating miracles.(even with cards)

Or just be the guy that does card tricks all the time.

Just a couple of things I wanted to say. You mentioned things like producing ice at will and making burgers materialize out of thin air. These are the kind of effects that need lots of prior preparation and need you to have the setup ready anywhere and anytime to produce an "instant" miracle. Some people might prefer card magic simply because they can carry a deck around anywhere and there is plenty of good card magic that doesn't need a setup. Some people just don't want to be in "magic mode" and carry around a dozen props all the time.

Of course you are right when you say there is a lot of mediocre magic around.
People could either diversify into other props as you have or they could work harder on making their existing repertoire of tricks more magical. Or they could even aim for some middle ground. I don't see this as strictly a binary issue.

Overall I guess I agree with most of what you say :) Thanks for giving some food for thought.

Feb 21, 2009
He isn't saying give up card magic completley he is just advising people to expand and be more creative with different things

Im also pretty curious on how to make a burger appear

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
Some people might prefer card magic simply because they can carry a deck around anywhere and there is plenty of good card magic that doesn't need a setup. Some people just don't want to be in "magic mode" and carry around a dozen props all the time.

Just to nitpick here, cards aren't the only things you can carry around that you can launch into an impromptu routine with.

Of course you are right when you say there is a lot of mediocre magic around.
People could either diversify into other props as you have or they could work harder on making their existing repertoire of tricks more magical. Or they could even aim for some middle ground. I don't see this as strictly a binary issue.

It's not, really - a middle ground is an attractive option. The thing is, that first option, the diversification? That side of the river is dry and choking, with no one to tend to it.

Though, come to think of it, so is the other side.

Nov 10, 2008
Upstate NY
The way I feel, is that the OP, is just rehashing the same old thing everyone is... that you should expand to other things, just to try them out.
I have, and yet i find my self going back to cards... why, because of my routinizing[Maybe?], and effects that will never go away just like the sleights I know!

I know if someone asks me to preform, I'll be doing Las Vegas leapers more time than not!

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
Put the cards down. If I was forced to do that, I would definitely decide to do some mentalist stuff. I admire mentalism because of the pure "magic" of it. It debatably requires more time and practice then card magic needs, and a great amount of presentation.

I love card magic because I feel that there is a certain elegance to a deck of cards. Something in them I can learn to master, whereas most people can't even do a riffle shuffle with them. They are a mystery to many people, and the magic you can perform with them is endless. I use cards for a lot of mentalism effects, such as psychological forces and my take on Derren Brown's idea of "invisible deal," a mental effect which doesn't involve a real card deck, but one just in the spectator's imagination.

A deck of cards is inherently interesting to people, because of the mystery that comes from it, and I enjoy that. I do try to present my effects in a way that use the cards as a means to an end, instead of the end, which I feel gives the presentation much more power.

Good topic. People- let's get a little more creative then cannibal kings if you don't mind.

kevin

We are magicians.
To our audiences eyes we can do anything.Read minds,levitate..pull bunnies out of hats.
And the majority of the magic im seeing performed are card tricks.And not much else.
Now,dont get me wrong. I have always had an admiration for cards and feel some sort of dark romanticism associated with them. And some card effects can be quite beautiful. But very few. Its only with D+M that I have started purchasing card effects recently.

There is so much more magic that can be done.
For example I produce ice at will whenever I feel like.Or even once when I was hungry I told my friends to take me out to eat.when they refused I simply said "fine" cupped my hands over an empty spot on a table and produced a McDonalds burger.(fully wrapped of course).
And these arent tricks that you buy,or learn on a DVD.But just ideas and inspirations on watching other magicians perform.
This type of thing turns your magic into miracles.
I urge people to go back and read on Max Malini. His devotion to performing miracles is truly inspiring. And I understand that alot of people might not have the same passion,devotion or patience to try and perform this type of magic.But I hope for the most part ya'll do.

And for those who just love to do card effects constantly.Dont make it seem like a card trick. Give the effect more meaning instead of just a 'look what I can do' sort of thing.(I know this wont work for every card trick one does.I refrain from doing those.One can give it more intrigue by saying "heres something a Vegas loungejack once showed me"Not magic,but makes it more interesting I think)
I say things about vodoo,our perception of time,explain a little history of magic,but I dont drown them with a script though.
And its also little things that make a big difference. Most of the time I give the deck to the spectators to hold while im pulling something out to aid in the effect or just if im telling a story.
I dont flourish.

So there it is.
You can either choose to start creating miracles.(even with cards)

Or just be the guy that does card tricks all the time.
Hey Bruh, I'm a magician, i try to do alternate magic or pull off stunts. I want to be a well rounded magician, just plain old card tricks can from time to time get a lil old with people. That why i do stuff like the Voodoo Card, My Consummated, I'm now working on something called Pierced....its a magic/meets stunts. I do very little mentalism. I do card magic and other stuff...I feel if i can do at least one magic trick with something on me or somone else. I can be well rounded and also do magic for hours.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
The way I feel, is that the OP, is just rehashing the same old thing everyone is... that you should expand to other things, just to try them out.
And yet no one has done so.
and
No,not just to try them out.but to perform real magic or magic different than cards.

I have, and yet i find my self going back to cards... why, because of my routinizing[Maybe?], and effects that will never go away just like the sleights I know!
I never said one should stop using cards at all.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
And yet no one has done so.
and
No,not just to try them out.but to perform real magic or magic different than cards.

I never said one should stop using cards at all.

You want real magic? Then I suggest you look up guys like Alistar Crowley or Chaos Magik, or anything of that matter.

I posted something not to terribly long ago, a few hours and visualartist recommended this. Please some new insight into this would be lovely.

READ THE ORIGINAL POST, for it seems many here do not understand what was trying to be conveyed.

To sum it up for those who did not read this or perhaps disagreed foolishly.

Does not believe you should stop doing card magic.
Does not believe anything is wrong with a hobbyist.

These were his words that I read, so don't think I'm putting words in anybody's mouth.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Misinterpretation + Ignorance + Ego = threads like these

While good points are attempting to be drawn out of those who missed the original message and intention of the thread, all that comes from it is bile and well...more bile.

As far as putting the cards down, since April (this threads opening) I've advanced my general sleight of hand (starting with coin sleights, moving into everyday objects of any kind) and have performed (live) with lighters, pens (vanishing pen cap...with a variation), shoestrings (other strings) and rings (occasionally with a 'wand' as well), I learned Ovation Pose (I think that's the name of it) and produced full glasses of liquid from my coat sleeve...and probably some other random stuff.

:)

Those are some of the things I can do if I'm without a deck and with an audience. I actually have a card trick that ends with cards everywhere (on the floor) that I'll do at parties, when done I just ignore them and move into something else. I did it once with someone else's deck and half the cards got stepped on and bent...I still owe him a deck (heh).

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Misinterpretation + Ignorance + Ego = threads like these

While good points are attempting to be drawn out of those who missed the original message and intention of the thread, all that comes from it is bile and well...more bile.

As far as putting the cards down, since April (this threads opening) I've advanced my general sleight of hand (starting with coin sleights, moving into everyday objects of any kind) and have performed (live) with lighters, pens (vanishing pen cap...with a variation), shoestrings (other strings) and rings (occasionally with a 'wand' as well), I learned Ovation Pose (I think that's the name of it) and produced full glasses of liquid from my coat sleeve...and probably some other random stuff.

:)

Those are some of the things I can do if I'm without a deck and with an audience. I actually have a card trick that ends with cards everywhere (on the floor) that I'll do at parties, when done I just ignore them and move into something else. I did it once with someone else's deck and half the cards got stepped on and bent...I still owe him a deck (heh).

Thats fantastic.

(no sarcasm)

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I think cards are fine if you try less to shove them down peoples throats. The same pretty much goes for anything magical. Loops, Bill Switches, magic with everyday item's.

What you really need to do is learn how to connect with your audience. Don't try to force your humor or jokes on people. Don't try to force your "stories" on them either. You need to show people that you care about them (even if you don't). That way they will also care about you as well and will end up enjoying what you do more.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results