Q: How To Engage People (Street Magic)

Jan 3, 2018
The Netherlands
Hey Guys,

I am trying out some new tricks and except trying it on my friends and family I want to switch over to street magic. I currently have no idea how I should engage people and I truly wouldn't know how to make someone on the street make to watch your trick. The only openings that I know are "hey my friend and I made a bet that..." but that's it.

If you guys could give me any advise about how I could engage crowds at a pub or on the street than except me a lot of different people at the forum could benefit. I hope you guys won't mind me making this thread as I really was out of options.

As Always Have Patientce And A Wonderful day

Sincerly,
Daniel​

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm about to run out the door, so this will be quick, but here's the most simple way to do it -

CIQ - Compliment, Introduction, Question. example: "You look like smart folks. My name is Christopher, I'm a hypnotist. Do you know anything about hypnosis?"

You flatter them a bit, let them know who you are, and then generate interest with the question. You can judge from there whether you should continue performing.

Christopher's recommendation of CIQ is perfect if you are doing guerrilla style (David Blaine style) street magic. If you are looking to open up a street show (i.e. busking) I would recommend some kind of flashy lure. I personally use sword swallowing which you can see the results at the 3:00 minute mark in this video for reference:

I should note that one of the best professional magic buskers out there, Kozmo, didn't really like that I use sword swallowing as a lure. I just feel too awkward to announce a show so I prefer to use it as a lure and then open up a street show.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You can do a lot of different things as a crowd draw. There's a guy in, I think, Sacramento that sweeps his area super clean. Like, he'll spend 5, 6 minutes sweeping. He'll be really enthusiastic about it, too, getting down on his hands and knees to check the ground, checking different light angles and stuff, it draws a lot of attention. Then when he's got enough people paying attention, he hops up and starts his show.

Another fun one I saw was a guy just stared real hard up into the sky, and when someone walked by, he pointed up and said, "What is that?" A few people stopped to see what was going on, he grabbed a couple other people the same way, and suddenly there's like 10 people around him. Then he goes, "Oh. It's a cloud. Hey you guys are just in time for the show!"

It was pretty funny.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
I did a couple videos on the subject if you have time to take a look (saves me from having to the it all.... lol)

The first one is about approaching people in general, whether it be in a gig setting or just while you are out and about. The second is specifically geared towards street magic (Busking Specifically.) May be worth taking a look at maybe? :)

Reactions: DominusDolorum
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results