Questions on Table Hopping

Feb 12, 2009
I think nobody brought this question up. I just wanna ask, for you guys who actually do table hopping, like for example you did a trick and you need to reset it for another table, how do you actually reset it?

What i mean is for example you need the tenth card face up on a face down pack of cards, or you need to re-arrange your sponge bunnies to the specify pockets like maybe 2 sponges on the left and the rest on the right pocket, how and where do you guys actually reset all these to get ready for another table? Do you go to the kitchen and prepare again and come out to perform for the next table or you guys have a better suggestions?

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
Depending on the place and how much privacy I can get depends on the effects I do or gimmicks I bring with me. For the most part I will either go to the restroom or as I am deciding which table to go to next I will set up a deck. Most people are concentrating on their meals or conversations at the table and don't really notice me milling about when I'm not performing. Just find a time to get the focus off of yourself. You don't necessarily need to hide.

Aaron Fisher's blog talks about pocket organization in one of the issues. Check out is website for some advice also.
-cheers!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I find the best effects to perform for table hopping are ones that require no set up at all. Or...effects that when they are finished, are all ready set up for the next performance.

I learned this the hard way after one day of table hopping for 3 hours and even tried pocket management. I was outside and surrounded by audiences. There was nowhere to go and reset and when walking to the next table I had followers who wouldn't leave my side so reset was impossible.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I think you should study some more on table hopping magic. Cuz one of the fundemental rules of table hopping is that the tricks have to have quick, if not instant resets. Cuz you have no time to go by yourself to set-up. If the boss sees you in a corner doing nothing, you're gonna get yelled at, which is not good.

Of course, if you simply need the bottom card face up, or a very small setup then its ok, just do it as you're walking to another table.

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
being a table hopper for the last few years, I've learned it's easier to do impromptu magic. I strive to learn and create only impromptu magic for the last 18 years and it helps out a lot. Every now and again, I'll throw in a gimmick or whatever but not much. I don't spend much time at each table anyway.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Hey fantastic question.

I'm sure everyone is different, however what worked for me was to keep effects that need a reset to a minimum. Or if you choose and effect like sponge balls, and finish with 'two in the pocket, one in the hand' you finish reset with all the balls back in the same pocket (just a side note, I wouldn't recommend using the rabbits in a restaurant, because inevitably a bunch will fall on the ground-not very good in a restaurant).
For effects that need a setup/reset you can set up a bunch before the night (if possible, and on your break, fill a pocket with a bunch of whatever you need, then do it at every third table, (or whatever works best , but you get the idea.) then you only need to get refills twice a night, on your breaks work best.
In the situation you mention, where you need the tenth card face up, I would learn the KM move, and just set it up after you get the spectators to shuffle, or just after the trick finishes if possible.

Back when I worked in a restaurant, I would do some IT work (not usually recommended for restaurant work), and I would set up a few lines to last me the night before hand in the room I kept my things in. If one broke, I could go grab another very easily when I found time.

Hope that answers your question. -impromptu, or finishes reset works best.

Justin

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Just like everybody said. Perform tricks with no reset, or tricks that have instant reset when they are finished. There are a lot of great tricks that have no setup or that have instant reset.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results