Razor blades and a Death onstage...

Keo

Mar 10, 2011
Texas San Antonio
As the title suggests I would like to be a performer who dies on stage. I don’t mean in reality die, but in the context of the show, dies. You all as people reading this, do you feel that is to over the edge for a performance?

Now before you go writing your opinion on this and that, please understand the context which I’ll explain now. I’d want to be either this year or next, to be a regular performer for a local haunted house. Now I wouldn’t be performing as a normal magician, most likely I’d be performing as a haunt actor. There is a difference. Basically, my character I am designing is going to be over the top goofy and psychotic. He is going to be loud, crack jokes, be dark and sinister, and also have undertones of masochism. In fact most of the effects that he, as a character, would perform start small and end big, possibly a death.

It would probably be a short act I already plan on doing the bean trick (basically a spectator onstage narrating what they see as I snort three beads up the nose and produce two in the mouth, and one through the tear duct.) then I’d probably do something like Saw, Needle or hook through the arm, something to just get the point across that this person has serious issues. Possibly in between effects drink motor oil or bleach, break a bottle and eat it like a piece of candy. Small things that are almost throwaway stunts.

Now all of these effects are only the build up. I’d probably be using these effects to draw attention from the audience, much like how a busker uses smaller tricks to build a crowd. The main effect, which is the part I want your opinion on, is going to be the swallowing of 30-40 razor blades and producing them like a deadly, shimmering with blood and silver, mouth coil. It is also worth noting that this stage will probably be in front of people who are waiting to get into the haunted house. They are in a que line.

Now here is the script I am working on so far for this effect:

The performer moves to center stage. Off to the right of the performer is a table with a white table cloth, facing the audience. On top of the table is a treasure chest like box.

Performer: I remember the days I used to trick or treat. Such fond memories, filled with precautionary tales and urban legends. Poison in candy, and razor blades in apples.

The performer opens the chest and grabs hold of a raffia or hemp cord. He pulls it slowly up and reveals an apple that is skewered with many safety razor blades. Ten or 15 possibly.

Performer: It was customary at our house to attach a cord to the apple stem. Don’t want our handsies to get all cut up. My finger doesn’t need to look like the handle bar tassels of a tricycle, right lady? You know folks, I regret sticking with my family traditions and I dearly apologize if you’ve lost a child from one of our tainted treats. But now, it is to your great satisfaction to watch as I swallow these blades and even more.

The performer then removes a glass bowl that has a mix of small candies and even more razor blades. The blades in the apple are collected one by one and put into a small bundle that is fanned for the audience to see.

Performer: Ladies and gentleman, I feel it is fair to warn you. I’ve only performed this effect once previously. Please kids and kids in adult bodies...do not try this anywhere!

As the performer finishes the short disclaimer, the fan of blades are shoved into his mouth. The performer seems to swallow and gag. A look on the performers face, tells the spectators that the performer is in obvious discomfort. Regardless, the performer continues and weakly says, “The show must go on”. He begins to collect twenty or thirty more blades from the glass bowl. He fans them similarly and shoves the bundle into his mouth. A shutter of pain and a dry heave only lead to a bloody spray from the performers mouth, that stain and spatter the white table cloth.

Gagging and in distress, the performer moves to grab the thread to complete the fairly standard effect. He uncoils the thread, drooling bright red blood from his mouth. Messily he swallows the thread, and a series of dry heaves begin again. After a few moments of this, the performer seems to regain a bit of control over himself. His face contorts as bit of the red stained thread appears at his lips. He grabs hold of it with shaky hands and begins to slide the string out of his mouth. Attached to the long piece of thread are the glimmering razors, swallowed prior. The performer attaches one of the produced razors to an apparatus on one side of the stage, that holds the ribbon, err chainsaw, up and in the air. The performer slowly steps back, spewing more blood until the last of the blades are produced. Unceremoniously, the performer sticks the last razor into the apple on the bloody table and staggers offstage. A hard thud could be heard, then the performers legs flop into view. They remain unmoving throughout the entire rest of the night letting the people who where in the que line to the haunted house to wonder about what they had just witnessed.

Fin

I feel it is a bit heavy on the graphics, but I think I can pull it off with an over the top character.

Anyway, please give me your opinion on faking a death onstage?

Also let me just ask this, what do you feel disturbing? What effects would you like to see? I am not looking for marketed effects, I am looking for ideas, your ideas on what would disturb you to see?

Sep 1, 2007
I don't like the ending. Not because you die (well... not entirely), but because it rather seems to defeat the purpose of the effect: that a seemingly lethal act can not only be survived but produce an impossible result. You obviously want some gallows humor to mitigate the shock. This finale does not accomplish that.

Furthermore, you stay there. That's a mistake. If you kill yourself off in a performance, have a stage hand drag you off and make your reappearance later. Yeah, I know it's a haunted attraction, but there is such a thing as going overboard.

Keo

Mar 10, 2011
Texas San Antonio
I don't like the ending. Not because you die (well... not entirely), but because it rather seems to defeat the purpose of the effect: that a seemingly lethal act can not only be survived but produce an impossible result. You obviously want some gallows humor to mitigate the shock. This finale does not accomplish that.

Furthermore, you stay there. That's a mistake. If you kill yourself off in a performance, have a stage hand drag you off and make your reappearance later. Yeah, I know it's a haunted attraction, but there is such a thing as going overboard.

See I completely agree with you. I was reminded of the clip from Ellen Degenerous where Ellen has her head lopped off and they cut to commercial. The idea I was kind of going for, was first to build up a rapport of being a somewhat approachable maniac, then in one act just sort of tear the walls down. Right now these are kind of just ideas that I right down in google docs and hide them away for later.

Do you think it would be more in taste to make the routine smaller, in dramatic gore (I'm making that phrase up, can you tell?), keep the blood but add in one liners while grimacing in the unpleasantness of the stunt? Dying on stage isn't an absolute, just one of the many twisted ideas I've thought of so far. Heck! I haven't even decided onto whether or not I want to go a more traditional route in this show. I just wanted to hear an opinion after I penned it.

Jan 20, 2009
California
it is a good idea and yes there is a market for this kind of performance many
years ago a magician named richiardi became one of the top earning stage
shows in new york by doing very gory shows.

Sep 1, 2007
Do you think it would be more in taste to make the routine smaller, in dramatic gore (I'm making that phrase up, can you tell?), keep the blood but add in one liners while grimacing in the unpleasantness of the stunt? Dying on stage isn't an absolute, just one of the many twisted ideas I've thought of so far. Heck! I haven't even decided onto whether or not I want to go a more traditional route in this show. I just wanted to hear an opinion after I penned it.

It's difficult to explain in short form. If you can, watch the Roger Corman horror comedies like the original Little Shop of Horrors. Or if you want something more modern, the incredibly tongue-in-cheek Sharktopus.

Don't rely too heavily on one-liners. Make the comedy physical as well. Watching silent movies is one of the best ways to learn more about physical comedy. You don't have to be an acrobat like Buster Keaton, of course. Just learn the essential elements underlying the different styles used by people like Buster, Fattie Arbuckle, Harold Loyd, and Charlie Chaplin.

In defense of one-liners however they can work provided you don't overplay things like corny puns. One or two can work if you do it right. One of my new favorite words is from Indonesia and doesn't have a direct analog in English: jayus. It's a joke told so poorly and so badly that you laugh anyway at its sheer badness. One or two of these done deliberately has a certain timeless appeal, but you don't want to build an act on them. They're not the meal in this type of comedy you're going for, they're the seasoning.

Another example I look toward is Mystery Science Theater 3000. Very witty, timeless and uproariously funny. Here's an example: in the episode "The Giant Spider Invasion" there's a scene with a greasy white trash guy trying to saw or crack open a spherical rock a bit bigger than a baseball. Tom Servo quips in a voice imitating the guy, "No wonder I was constipated." It's a really gross joke, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't one of my favorite riffs from that episode. Hell, just off the top of my head, you can use a similar joke in a psychic surgery routine.

Sep 2, 2007
London
One thing that occurred to me on the production of razors. Like Steerpike says, with your current plot, you lose the effect of surviving a normally lethal ocurrence. However, if you were to produce all the razors clean, with no blood, this would give the audience a moment of relaxation and maybe even applause, if it follows a series of mashochistic stunts, as it signals "It's OK, it's all just a trick." Then, after an elegant and magical production of a stream of razors, the last razor catches in your throat, there's a sudden gush of blood and you die painfully. To my mind, this way you maintain the magic effect, and also increase the impact of the death. I suppose, structurally, it's similar to Penn and Teller's version of "Sawing the Lady in Half".

ok,ive got some input for you but it will need to wait till I can get to a computer. For now I'll say tat there is nothing throw away about eating glass, snorting beans into eye sockets, drinking oil,etc. These are stunts that people make a living doing. Treating these stunts as a throw away gag seriously lessons their impact.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keo

Mar 10, 2011
Texas San Antonio
I acknowledge that Draven. When I wrote the initial post I meant the eating glass and drinking oil stunts would be the bits between the three main acts. When I say throw away, I really mean interchangeable non essential acts that I'll add or takeaway depending on how responsive the crowd is, or if I want to draw out the show a bit more. I have a deep respect for the geek performers and have been studying them and the sideshow as a whole for a long while, before I even became a magician.

I will wait eagerly for your proper response though.

Thanks to everyone for your time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 27, 2010
Just an idea about the death, not sure if possible because i dont know the workings behind the razorblade effect, so im in a more layman place here, but, if u really really messed, i would love to see some organs mixed with the razorblades, that would be more gross and gory and will be a better cause of death than just bloodlose, maybe besides the razorbaldes atached to the string, they are followed up by intestines. But again, not sure if it is possible.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results