Re-doing a trick...

Oct 1, 2008
earth
I do magic a lot in school, and people always ask me to do a certain trick that is just impossible to them but takes a set up such as stigmata or something. I dont know how to adress this question. Can you guys help?

Mar 20, 2009
Al Wakrah, Qatar
Usually when my friends ask me this, i tell them that I will show them the trick later and that now I will show them another cool trick. By the time this trick finishes, most of them will have probably forgotten and I don't give them a chance to ask me again by talking about other matters just after the trick.

This has helped me a lot. Dunno if it will work for you. But try it. Let me know if you were successful.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
that doesnt always work because they ask right after I do another card effect

I'm guessing you don't have a huge enough repertoire to do several tricks a day, every day, and keep the audience entertained with new stuff. I'm guessing you often repeat tricks - whether it's done in the same day or not.

I would suggest only bringing your "magic stuff" one or two days a week. That would give you a nice break from everyone begging for tricks, and also allow for the audience to see better, different tricks over a spaced out period.

Perhaps this is a total swerve from the point of this thread, but I often worry about kids who "do magic at school all the time". Does magic define you? Are you "the magic guy" or are you just you? I unfortunately know someone locally that is constantly doing magic at their school, it defines them as a person and I feel this is a horrible, horrible thing. Magic should be what you do, not who you are. As Ben said, perhaps only do magic once or twice a week. Let them know YOU as well as the magic.

Okay, end of mini-rant and to the question.

When this happens, I just flat out ignore it. I don't address it, I don't make a funny remark that brings attention to it, I just leave it alone. YOU are the performer, YOU control the situation and what they see. I'll be damned if someone is going to tell me what to perform. If they ask me to do something I just politely say "I'll show you something else". Situation is controlled, they have a good time and no attention is brought to the fact that you left your magnet at home ;)

C

Dec 3, 2008
First off, I'd like to thank C=B for a great comment. When someone asks me to do a trick that requires a set-up, I'll sometimes do it right infront of their face. I've done the set-up for 2 card monte right infront of peoples faces, I talk while i do it so I NEVER get called for setting up the deck. If not, just egnore it.

Ah, thank you man.

I think the kind of setup he is talking about is not just stacking. I cull 4 of a kinds under people's noses all the time. I think he means effects that require a setup that cannot be done in front of them or require a gimmick.

C

Sep 20, 2008
What you do is really simple. Say no.

You're not a performing monkey. you do not have to please your audiences. You are not a jester. You are not a clown. If you are not comfortable performing, dont perform.

Scarcity increases value. if you constantly perform, you're losing perceived value. They'll see you as the local entertainer. there is no 'novelty' and 'Thrill' anymore.

its hard i hav to tell them ill do it later or my teacher is calling me or something.

like i do the trick with the ultra gaff deck were u pull the sword off the king, and stick it in the card.
they still fret about it and i did it 7 months ago. they ask me that question when i pull out a deck of cards.

"will u do the king and the sword trick"
just say no bro and show them a trick that is really good

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
It's not hard to say no. In fact No is a very powerful word. If you say yes to everything you're pretty much setting yourself up to be their puppet. When you say "No" or "Maybe later" most people will either go "OK." or will understand.

Oct 1, 2008
earth
I'm guessing you don't have a huge enough repertoire to do several tricks a day, every day, and keep the audience entertained with new stuff. I'm guessing you often repeat tricks - whether it's done in the same day or not.

I would suggest only bringing your "magic stuff" one or two days a week. That would give you a nice break from everyone begging for tricks, and also allow for the audience to see better, different tricks over a spaced out period.

Actually, I know a handful of tricks, its just some of them leave more of an impression on my audience than others. For example, hedbergs peak wont leave as big of an impression onthe audience as lets say the biddle trick.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Usually
I ask them if they want to see something cooler at which I perform something really lame, such as sticking a finger up, waving the hand side to side, then it becomes 2 fingers! amazing... yea... but usually they get the idea that its a no.

Sep 1, 2007
Say you don't have < item: cards, sponge balls, etc. > on you today.

You give this advice and then you go on to say this?

"I'm guessing you don't have a huge enough repertoire to do several tricks a day, every day, and keep the audience entertained with new stuff. I'm guessing you often repeat tricks - whether it's done in the same day or not."

A magician should never be constrained by what props he has on him. Just because you dont have your cards or your coins on you should never mean you are unable to perform magic. Seems to me to be a fundamental flaw in your advice there about not having a large enough repetoire...

Anyway i dont personally have an answer yet to this question that isnt along the lines of first time is entertainment second time is education/never do a trick twice etc etc.

However im 21 and not in school any more so i dont have the problem in constantly being around the same people i have performed for. Im sure theres plenty of other advice on this subject floating around the forum somewhere.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results