REF4M :: Complete Review

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
Hi guys!! I've been reading a lot of complaints in the forums about this effect, so I thought it would be a good idea to review the trick since I bought it a couple of days ago. To be honest, I really like every step of this effect, but I woundt talk until the very last one...

THE EFFECT:
This is a very nice effect, as we can see in the trailer... I'm going to describe it: A card is FREELY selected and SIGNED. You show BOTH hands empty (not explicitly) and torn the card into four pieces. They can see the card torn, they can see the corners of the cards, they can see the pieces are separated. You then take two of them and in ONE motion you restore it. The same happens with the other two pieces. You say whatever you want to have a reason to tear it again and you hand all 4 pieces to them. WOW.

THE METHOD:
Even if we can see something in the demo, the method is much more clever than what it seems to be. It's an impromptu method for this classic plot, and it is really convenient when you don't have anything prepared (you know, someone comes and asks you to do a trick...).

THE DVD:
The teaching is very good, a lot of details are given amnd the camera angles are the best ones for a great learning experience. I miss a "tips" section since I think some more advice can be given but you'll discover them easily with practise. The quality of the DVD or download, as always with t11, is amazing. I really want the DLs to have chapters on them, since in QuickTime are really easy to create... That would be great, specially with long DVDs (GENESIS V1!!!). I hope someone from t11 reads this!

THE PROBLEM EVERYBODY HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT:
You have to rip the card in the end. Yes you must do it. Or maybe not...? Force a card and use a dup. It's that simple! That wouldnt be impromptu but well... If you don't want that, just use the idea he gives, or whatever it is. I have liked the idea that has been posted in another thread: make for different spectators sign the cornes and you have a perfect reason to tear it again and give their signature to each spectator... Think about that...

THE PRICE:
Is it overpriced? I don't think so. 16 bucks is not that much. The other TnR sold here costs $25 and it is horrible. The gimmick breaks really esaily and it's not practical at all. This one works better, and it's cheaper. It IS worth buying.

SOME THOUGHTS:
I would do this routine (as I have said earlier) without saying a word from the moment you take the card to fold it, until you have to tear it to give it out. I'd put some music if working in stage or just nothing if it's not accessible.

CONCLUSION:
This looks cool, the method is great, and the price, fair. I know it's not perfect, but it will be my TnR routine. I prefer this to gimmicks or dupes.

JUST IN CASE:
Some people love marks, so here they are:

The Effect: 7/10
The Method: 8/10
The DVD: 9.5/10
The Explanation: 9/10
Practicality: 9.5/10
Audience's reactions: 8/10

OVERALL: 8.5/10

Just one last thing... I don't think this is an intermediate trick, I think it's easier than that... I would give a 4/10 in difficulty terms.

GREAT JOB, BLAKE!

Check out my other reviews!
Cannibal
Genesis :: Double Review
Rizer
Danny Garcia Project (Vol 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6)
Linking Effects :: Double Review
5x Speed
Dresscode
Smoke

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Great review man! I don't even have the dvd yet so I don't know how it's done, yet lol. but I was thinking the same thing. Couldn't you just force a card and use a dup? lol. idk why people are making such a fuss about tearing it back up, it's not that big of a deal. This effect looks awesome and I can't wait to get it! =)

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
well just because you can't give any of the pieces to the spectator before restoring the card... but a 7 is a great mark, isn't it?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results