Release of New Effects?

What is the process magicians go along releasing effects? What would be the best process for someone that is not known, a person who has no name in the magic comminity? I want to make a thread on this not only to help myself but others in the future, so preferable no negative comments?

Thanks very much.

Sep 24, 2007
But why would you release material unless you were good enough to be "known" in the magic community?

Jul 13, 2009
You walk your happy little rear to a magic club meeting and start performing.

Edit

I meant that in the most light hearted way

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
I have some insight on this one.

I am releasing a DVD and some downloads through full52.com - a well known UK magic publisher - this year. I am a complete unknown in the magic community. In my case, the sequence of events went like this:

A couple of years ago I put an idea out on the magic cafe for an interesting concept in card magic. It attracted a certain amount of attention - a few PMs (one rather snotty one from a website owner saying that if I hadn't just given away the idea I could have put it on his website as an instant download) and one in particular from a guy who some of you know - Steve Haynes. At that point, Steve hadn't published anything himself but he loved the idea and we became friends, and have shared a lot of ideas since.

Fast forward a couple of years and Steve, who now has a couple of very successful releases under his belt, keeps on telling me that I should publish my work, and writes an email to Dave Forrest at full52.com introducing me. I get talking to Dave, send him some links to my videos and that was that - we're filming in February.

So, I put something out there into the community, got noticed by someone else, who provided me an introduction to a publisher. However, I do think that it is quite possible just to introduce yourself - for me, it was Steve pushing me onwards that gave me the confidence to get my work out there. I also knew from the start that I didn't want to self publish, or go to one of these sites that will sell just about anything, good or not. I wanted to know that my material was good enough that a respected publisher would take me on.

My advice would be this: decide exactly what you want out of the process so that you can sell that specific concept - I'm doing a DVD with about 10-12 tricks on it, you might want to release a single effect. Write an email that introduces yourself, your background in magic, your effect(s) and includes a link to a performance video. Look at the publishers out there, decide who you think you would want to work with, send out the email and see what happens!

Hope that's helpful.
Cheers,
David.

Sep 7, 2008
Here's what happened to me:

In the middle of 2008, I sent a few movie clips to Kozmo - from Kozmo Magic - because I wanted to publish one of my effects in Reel Magic Magazine. I presented four effects with chewing gum, and I fooled him and his family with all four effects. He decided he wanted to do something more with these effects. He sent the clips to Tim Trono, who was also fooled. He also suggested we move forward with a proper production.

So, in December 2008, I went to a convention in which Kozmo was a main presenter. The production team set up a studio, and I filmed my first Move Monkey, the Thumb Pass. Then, we filmed my Gum DVD. It took a long time, but we were happy with the end result.

I waited months and my project was put on hold as Kozmo had many other productions to release first. This took longer than we had expected, so we decided we wanted to film again. So, in July 2009, I flew to New York to re-film the DVD. This time, it had live performances, better explanations, and a bonus trick. I also filmed one trick for the magazine and another original Move Monkey.

The DVD was in production for a few months, and it took a very long time to get the DVD and demos perfect. It also took a long time to get the cover art completed, but I believe it was worth the wait. I am happy how the production turned out.

That's my story!

Jeff Prace

Here's what happened to me:

In the middle of 2008, I sent a few movie clips to Kozmo - from Kozmo Magic - because I wanted to publish one of my effects in Reel Magic Magazine. I presented four effects with chewing gum, and I fooled him and his family with all four effects. He decided he wanted to do something more with these effects. He sent the clips to Tim Trono, who was also fooled. He also suggested we move forward with a proper production.

So, in December 2008, I went to a convention in which Kozmo was a main presenter. The production team set up a studio, and I filmed my first Move Monkey, the Thumb Pass. Then, we filmed my Gum DVD. It took a long time, but we were happy with the end result.

I waited months and my project was put on hold as Kozmo had many other productions to release first. This took longer than we had expected, so we decided we wanted to film again. So, in July 2009, I flew to New York to re-film the DVD. This time, it had live performances, better explanations, and a bonus trick. I also filmed one trick for the magazine and another original Move Monkey.

The DVD was in production for a few months, and it took a very long time to get the DVD and demos perfect. It also took a long time to get the cover art completed, but I believe it was worth the wait. I am happy how the production turned out.

That's my story!

Jeff Prace
Congrats JP....its really a example of how hard work and dedication rewards itself...i am happy for you and wish you nothing but the best in the magic business....gum from what i saw is really a great piece of magic....kuds to you, kosmo, and everyone involved....i really like it....i'm a fan....

I am releasing a DVD and some downloads through full52.com - a well known UK magic publisher - this year. I am a complete unknown in the magic community. In my case, the sequence of events went like this:

A couple of years ago I put an idea out on the magic cafe for an interesting concept in card magic. It attracted a certain amount of attention - a few PMs (one rather snotty one from a website owner saying that if I hadn't just given away the idea I could have put it on his website as an instant download) and one in particular from a guy who some of you know - Steve Haynes. At that point, Steve hadn't published anything himself but he loved the idea and we became friends, and have shared a lot of ideas since.

Fast forward a couple of years and Steve, who now has a couple of very successful releases under his belt, keeps on telling me that I should publish my work, and writes an email to Dave Forrest at full52.com introducing me. I get talking to Dave, send him some links to my videos and that was that - we're filming in February.

So, I put something out there into the community, got noticed by someone else, who provided me an introduction to a publisher. However, I do think that it is quite possible just to introduce yourself - for me, it was Steve pushing me onwards that gave me the confidence to get my work out there. I also knew from the start that I didn't want to self publish, or go to one of these sites that will sell just about anything, good or not. I wanted to know that my material was good enough that a respected publisher would take me on.

My advice would be this: decide exactly what you want out of the process so that you can sell that specific concept - I'm doing a DVD with about 10-12 tricks on it, you might want to release a single effect. Write an email that introduces yourself, your background in magic, your effect(s) and includes a link to a performance video. Look at the publishers out there, decide who you think you would want to work with, send out the email and see what happens!

Hope that's helpful.
Cheers,
David.
Same goes to you Shodan...really lookin forward to seeing what you are working with as well....hope everything goes well with you.....

Hope that's helpful.
Cheers,
David.

Thanks very much for the info. I check out full52 all the time, hope the best for you. Thanks very much JP, I was hoping that you would comment on this. Thank you all that did, this was very helpful.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results