Resume'

Nicholas17

Elite Member
May 28, 2008
Kentucky
I've been thinking about this ever since I added an effect to The Wire here on Theory11. As many people are, I'm searching for a job right now without much luck. In my free time, I've been chiseling away at my resume, trying to make it look as nice as possible.

What do you guys think about adding your identity as a Theory11 artist to your resume's? It's certainly an interesting tidbit about myself. I'm not currently looking for a job in magic, but I feel like it might be a nice addition. If it's even appropriate, would it be a job, or an activity?

Anyway, something to think about.

Cheers

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Unless it earns a significant income, it's an activity/hobby.

Thinking about it, I can see an immediate pro and an immediate con to adding something like that to a resume. First the con: The hiring person probably won't know or care what Theory11 is. That means your resume has information that they don't need or want, which is bad, because the next resume they look at could easily have only relevant information. The more work they have to do to read and understand your resume, the more likely it is to be tossed just to sort through the pile they have on their desk.

The pro: Because they won't know what it is, they're more likely to ask about it if you happen to score an interview. Because you'll have something unusual to talk about, you're more likely to be remembered. However, this is only relevant if you actually get the interview.

I think I probably wouldn't include it on every resume, but I would probably add it to some.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I would Only include information that is relevant to the type of work you are
applying for.

Exactly! ALWAYS include information that is ONLY relevant to the type of work you are applying for. If you start adding other stuff, they WILL throw your resume away and go for the next one. It looks unprofessional. Take this advice seriously. On the other note, I don't think you can call yourself a T11 artist, since you are actually not, but you can call yourself an inventor or creator.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Honestly, it depends on what type of jobs you are going for and how much room you have. My rule in resume is 2 pages max, and if you can fit everything into 1 page, even better. Mine is 2 pages long, and I did consider placing my hobbies in there, but I opted against it. At certain professional resume, I deemed it was inappropriate.

I would say unless you have been performing for money, it'd fit into activity/hobby area, more so as magic than actual identity as T11. Reason being that most people can relate easier to word magic than Theory11. Some will argue that it will be catchy, but I would argue some people will just shrug it off as some unnecessary tidbit.

Best of luck with your resume, I know it's a hard work. Good luck.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Resume rules have drastically changed over the past decade.

There are still standards of course, but mostly nothing is set in stone. Remember that being very first-impression-heavy is important, while not seeming "overly done" or "forced".

It is OK to add information that is NOT directly relevant to the industry that you are applying for. A skilled manager looking through a stack of resumes will hopefully know how to see the benefit of "professional magician" when screening applicants for door to door sales. (In this case, comfortability around new people and crowds of people, confident speaker, etc...)

It is however very important in how you add the info to your resume.

GOOD;
"five years professional close-up magician experience,"

BAD;
"i sold 7 downloadable magic tricks for 1.99 USD each this past year on a famous magic website."

May 4, 2008
Think about what aspects of being a magician are applicable to the job you are seeking.

For instance being a magician requires you to develop customer service skills, communication skills, sales skills, writing skills, attention to detail, being a self-directed learner... and so on...

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Not sure how T11 would feel about it, since releasing something on the wire doesn't make you a T11 artist. I would add it to your CV though for the reasons stated above.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Not sure how T11 would feel about it, since releasing something on the wire doesn't make you a T11 artist. I would add it to your CV though for the reasons stated above.

You are a Theory11 Artist if you are on the Wire, just not a featured artist which is a big difference. That was one of the huge things that came with the Wire.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Most Resumes are broken into sections such as Most Recent Work History (usually in the past 18-24 months depending on the number of entries; or highlights of major gigs). This is followed by a general bio composed of 3 or less paragraphs concerning your work and followed by a "What I'm Seeking" section which quite literally states in two or less paragraphs, your idea job position/role.

Within this collection of niche compartments one will find (usually towards the bottom of the list) ASSOCIATIONS and another for CONTRIBUTIONS. . . The Wire is an on-line publication for which you've contributed; these are an honest part of your resume as would be anything you've had featured in other eZine services such as VISIONS, Top Hat, Magic News, etc.

Yes, in these niche bits at the close of your resume it is normal and even expected, for one to list their "social & vocational affiliations" which includes the primary magic clubs like SAM or IBM and likewise, key forums which are essentially an on-line community and in some instances, such as the PEA and other more exclusive groups, an extension to an actual fraternal order.

HOWEVER. . . when seeking employment within our industry IMAGE is the key and it pays to have a professional Image Consultant & Management team to refine your resume and make it one part of the arsenal now required to sell you as an act/talent. The 21st century resume being more to do with a solid web presence over paperwork; the latter typically being part of a Profile download found on your bio page. You need video that allows talent buyers to see you at work which also means that you must have an actual product to sell . . . magicians are a dime a dozen what makes you different? What gives you value?

If you are akin to so many out there and don't have an actual ACT you are seen as being little other than filler -- the lowest paid form of "professional" going. But if you have something substantial and buyers know what they are getting and what to expect, then you move up to a "preferred" status that's worthy of better pay due to novelty, ease to work with and general professionalism.

Everything around your web site, print materials, etc. holds a tailored sense of constant. That is to say there is a consistent sense of appearance and structure to all of it!

There's a plethora of do's & don'ts but we'll not venture down that path for now.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results