Retention Vanish

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Hey,

Recently learn the Retention Vanish and wondering if anybody had any tips for this vanish. I know timing is very important when doing this. Soooo any tips?

Also why this part of this forum so empty?

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I learned it from Justin Miller's Silver Dream. Pick that up if you haven't learned it from there already. It also teaches the Basketball Vanish, Himber Vanish, sleeving, and a gimmicked version. Superb effect as well. [/PLUG]

He goes over retention of vision. As soon as the ball of the hand contacts the coin and the fingers begin to close, move the coin into position. Be sure your hand doesn't "trigger" too much. If you learned it from Bobo's, make sure the hand isn't as dramatically triggered in as it shows.

Justin changed the vanish slightly as well.

Ian

Jan 10, 2008
Hey Nino, here is some quick advice for you on the retention vanish.

Practice it in front of a mirror, if you are not already.
To figure out the timing of it is quite simple. You are trying to mimic the action of placing a coin into an empty hand, so to figure out the timing, practice actually putting the coin in your hand. Then you will realize the timing and the way it should look.
A problem most magicians have when learning the retention vanish is the closing of the fingers of the receiving hand. Either, they do the move too early or they do the move too late and does not coincide with the closing of the hand that is supposed to have the coin.
When you practice it you have to be brutally honest with yourself, if you saw a tip off that a move is taking place. So will your spectator.
All I can say from there is practice practice practice till your fingers feel like they are about to fall off, and then practice so more! :D

Sep 12, 2007
Normandy, FRANCE
I've been practicing this vanish myself lately, and I found that there was one thing, just one little thing that made this vanish ten times more convincing (at least for me) : I drop the hand that "receives" the coin when it's supposed to receive it (doesn't have to be much, 1-2 inches), and break the wrist after the false placement.

I don't know why, maybe the movement draws the eye, but it looks much better when I do it this way ;)

I've been practicing this vanish myself lately, and I found that there was one thing, just one little thing that made this vanish ten times more convincing (at least for me) : I drop the hand that "receives" the coin when it's supposed to receive it (doesn't have to be much, 1-2 inches), and break the wrist after the false placement.

I don't know why, maybe the movement draws the eye, but it looks much better when I do it this way ;)
This is a great tip that you should employ with every coin sleight where necessary. This improves each vanish ten-fold and allows for MASSIVE misdirection.

All the best,
-Chase

Sep 24, 2007
Believe the coin is in your hand- applies with all vanishes. And don't always practice in front of a mirror- you may grow accustomed to seeing the vanish happen in the mirror, but you might forget what it looks like to execute it from the "magicians" poing of view, making it harder in actual performance situations to cover your angles. A video camera is a more powerful tool.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Because most of these members are like "Cards Cards Cards" lol :D

True

Really great tip. It actually says that their more weight in your hand thus making it convincing to the speactor.

Hey Nino, here is some quick advice for you on the retention vanish.

Practice it in front of a mirror, if you are not already.
To figure out the timing of it is quite simple. You are trying to mimic the action of placing a coin into an empty hand, so to figure out the timing, practice actually putting the coin in your hand. Then you will realize the timing and the way it should look.
A problem most magicians have when learning the retention vanish is the closing of the fingers of the receiving hand. Either, they do the move too early or they do the move too late and does not coincide with the closing of the hand that is supposed to have the coin.
When you practice it you have to be brutally honest with yourself, if you saw a tip off that a move is taking place. So will your spectator.
All I can say from there is practice practice practice till your fingers feel like they are about to fall off, and then practice so more! :D

When praticing this I actually put the coin on the left hand and slide my hand naturally so I know what natural should look like. Thanks Child I pratice this in the mirror and will try the timing tip. Also I will pratice until my fingers fall(just when I start to learn the voilion)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results