Ricky Jay 4 Queens

Aug 30, 2012
In Ricky Jay and his 52 assistants he performed the 4 Queens 3 ways. I have been looking for the final trick but am not sure if it has been described. Does anyone know if it can be done and then the cards can be examined?

Sep 23, 2012
that effect is one of my favorites. the cool thing is he used the exact patter that erdnase wrote for the effect in the expert at the card table
i forgot what it is called but it is one of those "easy" tricks you can find at the end of The expert at the card table

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Yes, the basic trick is in Erdnase. However, Ricky changed both the handling and the patter to suit himself. The queens will be examinable, but as Jecoa said, there shouldn't be a need for that. Unless you're fishing for method, if that's the case then good luck.

Also, Ricky Jay has basically made this one of his things. It's something he's known for. Unless you're changing it drastically (including removal of the Erdnase-esque script) you'll just be copying him.

I have wanted to find a way to do a version of this trick as something of a tribute to Jay, since this performance was really the first magic performance that I really enjoyed. But I've never been able to come up with a way to do it that wouldn't just be stealing his material and I can't let myself do that.

Aug 30, 2012
Yes, the basic trick is in Erdnase. However, Ricky changed both the handling and the patter to suit himself. The queens will be examinable, but as Jecoa said, there shouldn't be a need for that. Unless you're fishing for method, if that's the case then good luck.

Also, Ricky Jay has basically made this one of his things. It's something he's known for. Unless you're changing it drastically (including removal of the Erdnase-esque script) you'll just be copying him.

I have wanted to find a way to do a version of this trick as something of a tribute to Jay, since this performance was really the first magic performance that I really enjoyed. But I've never been able to come up with a way to do it that wouldn't just be stealing his material and I can't let myself do that.

I have no intention of stealing his handling or his trick. I have been working on a tabled tribute routine, I have a Triumph for Vernon and was looking at this for Ricky. I cannot and will not steal his t.v.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I like that Ricky Jay lifted whole sections of his script from Erdnase. I wanted to do similar so I learned a couple of the effects from Erdnase and perform them almost exactly as they are written in the book. I think a better tribute to Ricky Jay would be a gambling demonstration or card throwing. Those seem to be more his signature if you wanted to get a script as flowery as his check out Hoffman's books on Google book. They are super flowery :)

Aug 30, 2012
Thank you very much. I really liked the effect and since I am still learning a lot I don't want to try a gambling demo just yet. I'm going to see if there is another handling of the queens that does not involve the method in erdnase since I am not ready for the slights required

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Thank you very much. I really liked the effect and since I am still learning a lot I don't want to try a gambling demo just yet. I'm going to see if there is another handling of the queens that does not involve the method in erdnase since I am not ready for the slights required

Honestly, you could create your own handling pretty easily. The one given in Erdnase is fairly straight forward. The sleight that I am assuming you're not ready for is only used due to the types of cards which were available at the time. You can probably come up with a perfectly workable method which does not use said sleight.

I had an idea for a way to do this trick (visually, not the method yet) which is what I've been toying with for the last 3 years or so. It's much more visual than the method in Erdnase, on par with Ricky Jay's. But I have been discourage from completing it due to feedback I've gotten from certain members of the magic world.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Have you heard of MacDonald's Aces? That might be what you're looking for. And yes, the cards can be examined...after they've been switched.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results