Routining and Trick Selection

Jan 8, 2009
Hey guys, I'll be doing strolling at an upcoming magicians banquet. I plan to do a lot of commercial card tricks. Mainly simple effects and packet stuff. What do you guys suggest on card stuff on the topic of routining and a trick selection? I also have a bit of trouble interacting with my audience, such as trying to get them more as part of the trick, than me just showing them something that I can do and they can't. Also, I am bad with introducing them.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hey guys, I'll be doing strolling at an upcoming magicians banquet. I plan to do a lot of commercial card tricks. Mainly simple effects and packet stuff. What do you guys suggest on card stuff on the topic of routining and a trick selection?

5 Speed, 5 Speed, 5 Speed! (*Rhythmic chant*)!!!!

Seriously, this whole thing is pretty much a "routine."

Jul 10, 2008
Anything from Gordon Bean will work for packet tricks. Temptation is a very nice effect.

Jan 18, 2009
Doesn't answer his question really. To get a routine you need an opener effect that sets the stage for the rest of the effects, Panic, Witness maybe but any effect that is similar to those where its quick and visual and leaves them stunned and it has a purpose of getting your deck out.

Anything that follows up is pretty good, like Indecent after Witness or Entity (Suffocation) where it also has a purpose of using the prop or follows to a similar effect. My main thing is using This N That with 3 card monte patter and then an invisible palm after.

You also have to find a routine that makes sense, don't do a mind reading trick and then do something like Interlace or some type of highly visual effect. That's about all I can really tell you from my experience, and best of luck.

Drew

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Doesn't answer his question really. To get a routine you need an opener effect that sets the stage for the rest of the effects, Panic, Witness maybe but any effect that is similar to those where its quick and visual and leaves them stunned and it has a purpose of getting your deck out.

Anything that follows up is pretty good, like Indecent after Witness or Entity (Suffocation) where it also has a purpose of using the prop or follows to a similar effect. My main thing is using This N That with 3 card monte patter and then an invisible palm after.

You also have to find a routine that makes sense, don't do a mind reading trick and then do something like Interlace or some type of highly visual effect. That's about all I can really tell you from my experience, and best of luck.

Drew

Just going to add on to the above post (and probably repeat some) as it has a lot of good advice.

Creating an effective routine is pretty simple in concept. Find 2-3 tricks that go together, figure out which one should open and which should close.

I'll toss the trick structure down for a routine I put together.

Opener : Joe Paschall's Ace Cut.
-One handed ace cutting routine. Has a little bit of flare and can be done quickly. Due to the nature of the trick I like to use it as an opener(which is suggested in the 1 on 1)

Middle : I do one of two things. With a table or surface available I re-insert the aces into the deck and then have the spectator go through some motions, cutting to the 4 aces.
No surface, I insert the aces, mix up the deck, and produce the aces one at a time- claiming that I know the location of all 4 aces at all times.
-Either trick fills more time and uses the aces again. I varied this a little, doing impromptu magic instead of another 4ace trick...but not as often as sticking to the routine.

End : I was having fun with my closer. Claiming to know the location of all 4 aces at any given time I would place them on top and then say something absurd. "Your shopping bag." or "They're in your pocket." A laugh...I show the top 4 cards to be indifferent. To which the spectator would then retrieve my lost aces from where I said they were. Abracadabra, as I say I shall create.

-The point of the routine was to get better at loading. Some times I would only load one and say 'Three are now on top of the deck, but the forth has gone forth and settled in your purse." or something like that.

I hope this wasn't just me rambling...:)
In short, routines connect.
All the tricks deal with the same area. Gambling, coins or mentalism. (to name a few good topics.)

Enjoy (don't be afraid to PM)

-Rik

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results