S.W. Erdnase's True Identity

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
I've always been interested in the story of S.W. Erdnase. No one knows who he really was even after immense research into the subject. There's an element of theatre invovled in Erdnase's story. It reminds me of the old saying: Satan's greatest trick was convincing the world that God didn't exist. I believe that the greatest trick ever conceived was hiding the identity of one of the greatest minds in the history of card magic. Here are a couple of really interesting articles I found.

http://www.miraclefactory.net/mpt/view.php?id=194&type=articles

http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/2001/3/2001_3_56.shtml

Hope you find it as interesting as I did.

Zack

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I have just been reading this. Some theorys say the S. W. Erdnase was actually E. S. Andrews. Which is S. W. Erdnase spelt backwards.

Its really a pity that he died so young, and took his greatest sleights to the grave.

JDEN

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 17, 2008
Richard Hatch of H&R Magic Books and Martin Gardner are probably the two foremost authorities on who Erdnase may really have been. Try to find their thoughts on the subject, which have been published in "The Man who Was Erdnase" among other places.

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
Thanks MGordon for the reference. I have read Martin Gardner's work but used Mr. Karr's article since Mr. Karr took Gardner's research and furthered it. Mr. Karr shares the same theory as Mr. Gardner that E.S. Andrews(S.W. Erdnase spelled backwards) is the REAL Erdnase. Mr. Karr took Gardners work and advanced the research even further as cited in the article.

Sep 2, 2007
London
There are a few candiates for the identity of Erdnase. Martin Gardner's guy is Milton Franklin Andrews, who, for several reasons, seems to not fit the bill as far as I can see. Richard Hatch's proposed Erdnase is Edwin Sumner Andrews, who seems to be a better bet, but there are still some reservations.

If you want to look at this subject more, apart from The Man Who Was Erdnase, definitely have a look at the Allan Ackerman/Geno Munari Erdnase DVD set. There's a huge amount of information on there about possible Erdnases. Also check out the Genii magazine forum. There's a huge thread on there that's been running for years where some of the top Erdnase researchers contribute.

Oct 6, 2007
my world of magic
all i know, E. S. Andrews s a bad person
he gamble alot, diged up with lot of chick, always drunk, etc
you know...just like a life of a gambler

he died beeing shot by one of police back then...

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
Don't we already know who he is? He was a man who was a master of card cheating. He published his knowledge in a book now known as the bible for card magic.

Dan and Dave are guys who popularized modern card flourishing.

Harry Houdini was a great escape artist.

So if his name really is E.S. Andrews, what more do we need to know about him?

Sep 2, 2007
London
all i know, E. S. Andrews s a bad person
he gamble alot, diged up with lot of chick, always drunk, etc
you know...just like a life of a gambler

he died beeing shot by one of police back then...

I think you're talking about Milton Franklin Andrews (Martin Gardner's proposed candidate). There isn't any evidence that he was ever know as "E S Andrews", which is one of the arguments against him being the real Erdnase, along with the fact that he was the wrong height, wrong age etc.

Nov 23, 2008
I don't think anyone will ever know for sure who he was. Although, through out the book Erdnase repeatedly says "we" instead of "I", and "our" instead of "my", suggesting that there are was more than one person contributing material to the book. Or maybe that just was just to add further mystery to his identity.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I don't think anyone will ever know for sure who he was. Although, through out the book Erdnase repeatedly says "we" instead of "I", and "our" instead of "my", suggesting that there are was more than one person contributing material to the book. Or maybe that just was just to add further mystery to his identity.

That's just a writing style. Although it's less common now, many writers, especially on technical subjects would use this. Marlo uses "we" in a lot of his writing, even when he's specifically claiming credit for something.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results