Saturday Night Contest - A FREE Trip To Magic-Con 2010

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
Hey guys at T11, this be Cody again.
Wow, this is probably the best contest i've ever been apart of. Now first of all, let me tell you a little story about how this whole mess started.

I was about seven, and my dad showed me my first magic trick; red, white, and blue silks that change into an american flag. It sparked my interest. Later, he bought me the magic kit that started me off in magic. I quit after two years of playing with the set because no one supported me. It was a stupid and immature decision.

Until a year ago, I lived a boring life. Football, video games, homework, no girlfriend. The worst years of my life by far. But this past year, I rediscovered magic from my best friend, Nick Greene. He taught me everything I know, and more. Since then, I have made the commitment to myself and to the Art of Magic to be the best that I can be at whatever I do. I have made the decision to try to do magic for a living when I get older.

Isn't that everyone's dream; to do what they love for a living? Well, this choice did not fly with my family. They thought that magic was just a dumb hobby, and it will never get me anywhere in life. As soon as I realized I wanted to do this seriously, I came home to tell my father that I was quitting Football and I am going to just continue my magic. He practically disowned me. He called me every name he could think of; called me a faggot every day as I walked out the door to school. It hurt me a lot. He took my cards and things away from me, saying I didn't deserve it, but I snuck behind his back, continuing my learning. For so long, he wanted me to be like him; an amazing football star. I no longer wanted that, I had found my calling. Today, he tells me he accepts it, but I still believe he does not. And no, I'm not telling you these things because I want you to feel bad for me. It is just part of my journey through magic.

So I could go on and on about how much i've learned, how great of a magician I am, and how much I deserve to win this contest, but to tell you the truth, I don't know if I deserve it. No, I'm not the best flourisher. No, I'm not the best magician, but I try my hardest all the time to be better. Yes, I have learned a lot. And not all about magic, a lot about life as well. How to interact with people, charisma, and appreciation for the Art. But, I still have so much to learn, and I feel that the one way that I can learn is to attend Magic-Con. So I can learn to be a better flourisher, a better magician, and a better person. I can finally meet all these amazing people that are my idols. Dan and Dave, John Carney, Daniel Garcia, so many others, and of course the great Juan Tamariz.

But I do know one thing, and that is I love magic, it is the only thing that truly makes me happy in this world. And to go to Magic-Con would be the best blessing I had ever recieved. Besides, of course, the significant day when I was re-introduced to magic. Magic has changed my life so much, and I feel that with my magic, I can change the world. I feel like I can change magic. Make it better. But I can't do it alone. I need my family, my friends, and you guys. I will always do my best to better the art of magic, however that may be. Hopefully while I'm there, i'll figure that out. So whaddya say? Do I deserve this?

-C(B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai, India
Hey guys at T11, this be Cody again.
Wow, this is probably the best contest i've ever been apart of. Now first of all, let me tell you a little story about how this whole mess started.

I was about seven, and my dad showed me my first magic trick; red, white, and blue silks that change into an american flag. It sparked my interest. Later, he bought me the magic kit that started me off in magic. I quit after two years of playing with the set because no one supported me. It was a stupid and immature decision.

Until a year ago, I lived a boring life. Football, video games, homework, no girlfriend. The worst years of my life by far. But this past year, I rediscovered magic from my best friend, Nick Greene. He taught me everything I know, and more. Since then, I have made the commitment to myself and to the Art of Magic to be the best that I can be at whatever I do. I have made the decision to try to do magic for a living when I get older.

Isn't that everyone's dream; to do what they love for a living? Well, this choice did not fly with my family. They thought that magic was just a dumb hobby, and it will never get me anywhere in life. As soon as I realized I wanted to do this seriously, I came home to tell my father that I was quitting Football and I am going to just continue my magic. He practically disowned me. He called me every name he could think of; called me a faggot every day as I walked out the door to school. It hurt me a lot. He took my cards and things away from me, saying I didn't deserve it, but I snuck behind his back, continuing my learning. For so long, he wanted me to be like him; an amazing football star. I no longer wanted that, I had found my calling. Today, he tells me he accepts it, but I still believe he does not.

So I could go on and on about how much i've learned, how great of a magician I am, and how much I deserve to win this contest, but to tell you the truth, I don't know if I deserve it. No, I'm not the best flourisher. No, I'm not the best magician, but I try my hardest all the time to be better. Yes, I have learned a lot. And not all about magic, a lot about life as well. How to interact with people, charisma, and appreciation for the Art. But, I still have so much to learn, and I feel that the one way that I can learn is to attend Magic-Con. So I can learn to be a better flourisher, a better magician, and a better person. I can finally meet all these amazing people that are my idols. Dan and Dave, John Carney, Daniel Garcia, so many others, and of course the great Juan Tamariz.

But I do know one thing, and that is I love magic, it is the only thing that truly makes me happy in this world. And to go to Magic-Con would be the best blessing I had ever recieved. Besides, of course, the significant day when I was re-introduced to magic. I will always do my best to better the art of magic, however that may be. Hopefully while I'm there, i'll figure that out. So whaddya say? Do I deserve this?

-C(B)
This is not my entery for the contest...i already entered this is my reply to C(B)'s post

I really agree with you! i honestly dont think I deserve it because im no where near the best magician some of these guys are REALLY talented and they dont get the recognition they deserve. for them a trip to magic-con could make their career. But i think its just as useful for someone whos a student learning magic. i just started about 6 months ago and its been one heck of a time! Its taught me to think outside the box in so many different ways! What I like MOST about magic is so many times the secret is right in front of your eyes!...People have many mis-conceptions that all magic is hidden mirrors magnets & strings!

Who am I? Just an average Joe in the world of magic and cardistry. There's really nothing special about me that makes me different than all the other magicians and cardists out there in the community (despite the fact that I'm a pretty beasty trumpet player, which some of ya'll may be) but that doesn't mean that I am not deserving to win a trip to this year's Magic Con.

I treat magic and flourishing as just a hobby as of right now. I haven't been truly exposed to these artforms in a way where I'm addicted...yet. Growing up with parents who are VERY strict on my education, lots of my time has been spent studying to make sure my grades are at it's best. Due to this year being my senior year in high school, I have had even less time to practice magic and flourishing (due to EXTRA studying to make sure I don't catch senioritis), which, I must say, sucks because I really do love the two artforms. A trip to Magic Con would just be a pure MIRACLE for me right now. It would be the best break from studying in the history of mankind. (To me anyway.)

If you guys have ever watched the World Series of Poker, you might have noticed the same thing I've been noticing. Who was 2003's winner, Chris Moneymaker? No one knew of him before he won. Who was last year's winner, Joe Cada? No one knew who he was either. They were just both average Joes, whose prizes changed their lives. I know that if I happened to win such a prize, in this case an all paid trip to Magic Con 2010, my life would change as well. I've rarely had the chance to go to any magic stores (due to the lack of them in my area. The closest one is about an hour and a half away....) nevertheless, any magic conventions. Going to Magic Con will surely be one hell of an experience for me.

There are a lot of others out there who's dedications for these arts probably exceed mine a hundred-fold. They are probably more deserving to go compared to just a hobbyist like me, but this just like Moneymaker and Cada, I still have hopes for an average Joe to win it big.

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
This is not my entery for the contest...i already entered this is my reply to C(B)'s post

I really agree with you! i honestly dont think I deserve it because im no where near the best magician some of these guys are REALLY talented and they dont get the recognition they deserve. for them a trip to magic-con could make their career. But i think its just as useful for someone whos a student learning magic. i just started about 6 months ago and its been one heck of a time! Its taught me to think outside the box in so many different ways! What I like MOST about magic is so many times the secret is right in front of your eyes!...People have many mis-conceptions that all magic is hidden mirrors magnets & strings!

yeah your right. Magic has opened my eyes to so much. People don't understand magic as it truly is. Yeah, the trick isn't really magic, but what the spectator percieves is the true magic. That is probably one of the biggest lessons I have learned.

Magic is beautiful.

To actually witness the magic-con with my naked eyes would be absolutely the most awe-inspiring thing that would ever happen to me for when I think of magic… to me it is beauty.

Beauty lives in the city of the mind and in the country of the human soul. When I am saying something is “beautiful” I am trying to emphasize to people to look with me eye to eye and see my point of view of how beautiful that something is. I try to show this beautiful art form by showing breath taking magic that will fill the spectator with wonder. The beauty of magic will not make them see that is beautiful for they can't see the beauty of magic with their eyes, for to see it you must use the eyes of your imagination. Even though they can't see the elegance of it, the magic will stir emotions in their mind that will create a certain recipe that will fill their imaginations for the eye is too shallow to see it. I sometimes like to compare nature with magic. In my mind nature is stunning, such as the ocean, a place where you can relax and escape, and I feel as if the magic I do helps me escape reality. The way the sand connects with the ocean’s tide as they crash on the shore is how I connect with my art form. I love magic for like the waves serenades the ears of people on the beach is like how the spectator’s reactions fill mine. I am deeply passionate about magic the way the fishes swim deep under the ambient sea. When I look at magicians on YouTube I see no creativity. I see imitation and I think where the magic industry is going to go if we have all of these people just copying each other. I don’t really own that many magic DVD’s so I try to create my own material and try to push it further. My friends they call me creative and with the most modest way I consider myself creative as well… if that made sense. When I close my eyes ideas flow of new things flow through me like a river would flow into the ocean. Then I would think “Wow if I could do that, that would be revolutionary!” Sadly it would be almost impossible to do what I imagine, so that’s when I try to imitate the impossible. I feel as if my river of creativity will keep on flowing and one day it will flow into the ocean of magic where I will meet the endless inspiration and ideas from magician’s everywhere that have came from their own river. I see that opportunity with this competition. I think that if my river can flow into the ocean of magic (which is the magic-con) I would be a whole new person. After I have visited the ocean and I reach the shore I can take with me the inspiration given by the ocean’s mist that will imprint in my mind as I take the last breath of the old world and breathe in the motivation of the new world of magic I have entered.

I hope you understand my deep passion for magic, and I really hope I do win. If you got this far of reading it I give you props. Ha-ha. :p

Sep 3, 2008
ny
I wantd to go to magic-con because one day when talking to my friend I referred to Dan Buck and Dave Buck as two separate people, not one weird conjoined twin like everyone else does. Also because I love magic and magic drives me. While I could bore you with lies and sad story's about my childhood I won't. It's that simple. I love visual magic.And I am 16 years old and practicing magic for 3 1/2 years. And my favorite card moves are DPS and The Versatile spread control.

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
BTW, I have a question for JB. I am only 16, so I probably wouldn't be able to go by myself if I did win. Would we have to buy another ticket for my dad or would the all expenses paid thing go for both of us?

Jul 28, 2009
New York City
I'll make this short and sweet.

I in no way deserve to go to Magic Con. Scarecrow is right that none of us really deserve, we just want. I want, but I'll be the first to admit that others deserve more. I'm not the best magician, I don't know things that I should, I am terrible at double lifts, and I wish I knew more. While this may be my problems, they are also why I want to go to magic con. At magic con, I probably won't be able to solve my double lifts problem, I may become a better performer. WH always says that it's what the spectator see's, not what move you do, that makes a trick spectacular. While my tricks may not be spectacular, and I have very little to no creative imagination, I wish that I could go to magic con.

Thanks for reading.

Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai, India
In response to C(B)'s post-

I was wondering the same thing

i think they may have a fixed budget or something so if they could fit both your tickets and stuff in the budget maybe then they could pay for you and your dad

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
You know that feeling when your parents say to you, “You’re going to do it for maybe a month then you are going to forget about it and do something else.” Then you say, “No I won’t.” Then a month later you forget about doing it and head onto something else? Well, I have done it a lot in the past. Nothing ever hit me hard enough after my brother showed me a card trick when I was 12. I was stunned; my mouth drew open, very wide, just a blank stare in his eyes. He looked back at me, and smiled. Nothing could ever describe how wonderful I felt after seeing that. NOTHING. He just handed me the deck, and told me that there was nothing else to see except for 52 cards. I didn’t believe him, so I scrolled through every card, examining it all. And he was right, there was nothing to find. I felt a weird sensation you get, when you just saw something impossible. The blood rushed through my veins, a new type of energy entered me, and I KNEW I had a passion for magic.

I ran up to him, asking how he did it. Of course he didn’t tell me, wanting to keep the secret. I didn’t know about YouTube or internet videos at the time, so I took the deck and began playing with it, multiple times. I failed over and over, but I never gave up on it. I wanted to know the secret. I never found it. I wasn’t disappointed either; I just knew I HAD to start learning. I remembered back when I was 6 my grandmother gave me a Marvin’s Magic Svengali Deck of Playing Cards. I didn’t know what it was, so I stored it in my drawer and forgot about it, for about 6 years. I never touched it, not even once since then, until I remembered it after wanting to learn about magic. I plowed through my drawers, throwing things out of it, until I finally found what I was looking for, the Svengali Deck.

I took it out, read the directions, and practiced the trick for maybe about an hour or so. It still astonished me the first time I saw it. Even though I knew the secret, it still stunned me. I showed my brother the trick, and the look on his face drove me to the point where I am today. After seeing his reaction, it made me feel the most wonderful feeling I ever had in my life. More wonderful than seeing a dirt bike outside your window on Christmas morning with a red bow that says your name on it. This was more wonderful than that. To make it even more wonderful, David Blaine also drove me to have a bigger passion for magic. I was searching through the TVGuide Channel when I saw the title “David Blaine Street Magic”. I immediately clicked to the channel and started drawing my eyes to everything he did; watching everything, studying everything, and seeing the people’s reactions. The tricks he performed blew my mind out of my head.

I went to school the next morning, and I forgot my Svengali deck to show everybody my new trick. I was talking to some friends, and they introduced me to YouTube. Once I got home, I searched for tutorials on how to do card tricks. I was introduced the Key Card Principle, Slip Force, and the very basics I needed to know to do more amazing tricks. I didn’t know they were called sleights or anything technical, I was just fascinated to learn, and learn, and learn. I took all that I knew to school and showed my friends a card trick. They literally ran out of the classroom and told other friends what I did. I had all the attention, and I was absolutely excited. I gained a good reputation for blowing people’s minds, and made me feel the best that I have ever felt in my life. I knew what I did was real magic, and I will never forget that memory.

Drawing back to almost present day, my family was hit by the economic crisis just a year ago. At that time, I was introduced to Theory11 and Ellusionist. I had maybe a few decks of cards and that was all. I saw all these tricks being sold online and I HAD to get my hands on them. Unfortunately, my dad had a long talk with me about our financial situation. My dad got screwed over and we almost lost all of our money. We had to cut back a LOT and I was never able to purchase those tricks. I was crushed; I was devastated by what I had heard about our family. We were all in tears and didn’t think we were going to make it. Even through that hard time, I still continued to push myself to be the best I could in magic.

To make matters worse, I had a downfall in my social life. I wasn’t that popular at my new school “School of the Arts”. The school is packed with rich snobs who think they are top dog of the school. I didn’t have many friends there. So one day, I thought I could boost my reputation like I had done at the other school with my magic. Well, it turned out the complete opposite. I didn’t screw up the tricks, or do anything wrong. They just looked at me, acted as if nothing happened, and laughed at me. They spread around the grade that I was weird for doing magic and they thought it was geeky and dorky. Soon everyone started laughing at me for no reason, just to be cool with all the other rich snobs. After I got home from the bus I locked myself in my room and cried. I stayed in there for maybe about a few hours. Just sleeping and crying. I thought that I couldn’t do it anymore, because they all laughed at me. But then I thought what the feeling of doing magic made ME feel. I felt excited when I performed, I was THRILLED by the reactions, and what I felt was REAL MAGIC.

My family is still in the rough as we speak, barely making it by as it is. My social reputation at school is nothing different than it was when I cried my self to sleep that night. I kept on doing magic, but keeping it to myself, which is NOT what I wanted to do. I made a YouTube channel for showing my magic to others, since I wasn’t accepted at my school. I called it WhiteTigerMagician. I started uploading videos of basic card tricks. I soon got a couple of subscribers, so I was happy that people liked my videos. It made me feel a lot better about myself. Soon, I uploaded more videos and got more subscribers, then I reached 100 subscribers. I was amazed at the numbers. My heart almost sank in, and I was stunned. I ran to my brother, showing him the numbers. He smiled at me and said, “Good job dude!”. I was once again enthralled at my accomplishments. I HAD to do more, because I was being cyberly (if that is a real word) accepted by people across the country.

After a few months of being on YouTube, I made friends with someone who completely changed my life around in looking at how I thought about magic. His name is Josh Brand. I messaged him on YouTube saying how great he was and how I wanted to be just like him in the way he handles a deck of cards. He replied back, and gave me his Skype address so I could talk to him more. I signed up for Skype, and that was the BEST move I could have ever made. I added him, and we started talking about magic. It was really interesting the way he thought, the way he gathered info on magic. He said there were books that taught you even better tricks than the ones from the internet. I searched up some books at my local library, and found wonderful material contained. I told my dad about how much I really wanted to learn more about magic. Since I was a good boy he asked me what I wanted from the internet. I looked at him with a surprised look and said, why the internet? He said that he’s been watching me scroll through the internet sites looking at things I’ve been interested in. I realized that HE was interested in what I was doing, and I was glad. So I made a list of things I wanted, and he ordered them.

I woke up Christmas morning to find presents under the tree. Since we were financially unable to afford a lot of stuff, I found some presents for me, not as much as I had gotten the years before. I opened the first present, and it was an Ellusionist deck of cards I had asked for. My dad smiled at me and said, “Merry Christmas son”. I almost cried at him when we looked at each other. It was a special father-son moment that made my life. I continued to open up more presents to find more magic I had asked for. Never before in one Christmas had I been so excited to play with what I had got. I spent all day and stood up all night practicing and performing to myself the things I got. It changed my life, no matter what anyone will say to me.

I started searching Google for local magic stores in my town, and to my excitement I found one. I told my dad we need to go down there and check it out. So one Saturday we went down there, and walked inside to find magic loaded on the walls, with the owner standing behind the counter performing some sponge ball routine. He saw my face light up and told me to watch something. He proceeded to do things with sponge balls. At that time, I knew he was palming them and doing false transfers, but I have never really been someone’s spectator before since my brother showed me the card trick when I was 12. Nothing felt better than to watch more magic happen in front of me then to do it myself. It made me feel like I was 12 all over again.

Then, my family started to get into more of a situation. My mom has a drinking problem, and pretty much affected me for the worst. Being around bad environments at my house when things start going bad (not allowed to go into specifics) truly changed me personality wise. I became angrier with everyone, treating everyone like crap, and blaming others for my faults because of what was happening at my household. I started getting more of an attitude in public, making me look bad, and making my parents look bad also. No one wanted to be around me, except for the people online who I was talking to. I had maybe a few friends who were like me, a Christian who stuck with me throughout everything I went through. Those people are and always will be some of my true inspirations for never giving up, because they never gave up on me.

(continued in next post because it's too long to fit in one)

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
(continued from previous post because it was too long)

I started getting better at my attitude, worked it out, and now I can control how I act. I wasn’t really able to travel at all to anywhere much, just stuck at the boring household, limiting my ability to go out and PERFORM for people like I wanted in the beginning. I started going to a restaurant with a friend playing some darts, when I saw a woman with her friend who looked like they were bored. I had my deck on me, so I figured, what the hell, let me try this. I walked up to them, introduced myself, and walked ‘em over to the pool table. I performed the Biddle Trick, and the reaction on their face was AMAZING. They covered their mouths, gaping their eyes at the face up card in the middle, and started reaching for their pockets to give me some money. I told them not to worry about it, and thanks for participating. They went back to eating lunch, and I continued to play darts. That moment inspired me MORE to start performing when I got the chance.

Magic means more to me than getting in front of a camera, like most of today’s generation. It also means more to me than getting money. Honestly, I could care less about the money. Magic to me is seeing the reactions. When they are happy, I am happy. When they are astonished, I am astonished. I love interacting with other people, getting them involved in every way I can. I just wish other people at my school saw the happiness in me, and today I still wonder why they are acting the way they are. But nothing about that really hits me. As long as I am happy with what I’m doing and what makes me and others feel happy, I will always see the magic in spite of everything.

This Christmas I was fortunate enough to get Reflection by Bill Goodwin, one of my favorite card magicians, and By Forces Unseen and the Paper Engine, both incredibly awesome books everyone should get. Once again, I stayed up all day and night, watching and studying these pieces of gold. I found out that what I was learning completely changed me in how I thought, and inspired me to CREATE my own magic. I have an imaginative mind, so I am told by my Visual Arts teacher, and it inspired me to start envisioning effects being performed in my mind. I brainstormed on how it was possible, and started working on it as soon as I could. After I practiced for about a few weeks, I showed my parents, and just like always they were happy to see the happiness in me, and how I performed. I truly love my brother and my parents for inspiring me to become the best that I could. I love them so much, and Jesus Christ and God for getting me through all the hard times I have encountered in my life.

When I was a lot younger I dreamed about traveling the country, seeing things beyond belief. Going to California was something that I have wanted to do for a long time. Being able to have the opportunity to travel to California would be life changing for me, but being able to go there for what I love to do will be the highlight of my entire life. Being surrounded by all of magic’s greatest; Dan and Dave, John Carney, Daniel Garcia, Bill Goodwin, Chris Kenner, Eric Mead, and most importantly my favorite of all Juan Tamariz. Juan has been one of my most inspirational people I have ever stumbled across, along with the others previously listed. Being able to show others the happiness stored within me and being able to express my TRUE LOVE of magic to others who care about everyone in its art will be indescribable.

If I go to Magic-Con, not only will I be taking things with me, but most importantly be taking things BACK. I will take back the highlight of my life. Period. I will gain more knowledge than I ever thought possible. Being surrounded by the ones who inspired me will truly have a grave impact on what I do in the future. It will make me more knowledgeable, more socially interactive, and make me a better person. I’ve been encased in a bad environment all of my years of being into magic. I need to get out into a great environment that was created especially for me and others who share the same passion. I hope to meet my true inspirations as well along the way. Being in Charleston, SC, there are practically no magicians in my area, except for Jonathan Bayme who unfortunately left to go to Vegas and NYC (that’s a great thing JB! ) I sure hope that one day I will be able to meet the legends responsible for making magic mean the most to me.

When I go out and perform or practice some effects, I start with the simplest idea. The simplest ideas are always getting the best out of me when it comes to creativity and trying to think of new ways to do things. When I look at an object I think "What can I do to that? How can I do something to that object to make it more meaningful? Is there a trick I could create with this object? If so, how can I do the effect and what would go on?" ect. Looking at different perspectives of doing magic is what I also love, thinking somewhere between the inside and the outside. If I can boost my creativity, I can surely boost my magic and how I can make it better. Those thoughts are constantly going through my mind every day. I recently started making account of all my ideas for effects on my computer, and I believe that has helped me a lot in creating my own magic. I'm also looking down the path of making my own stuff to perform. I want to develop my own style and add my touch of creativity to what I do, because later on the present day creators won't be around to make more mind-blowing magic for us to perform. I've come to a realization that we need to start creating and getting ideas down so we can inspire the next generation that gets into magic. We all need to be inspirations and role models for them to look up to.

So like I said, being able to go to Magic-Con will be the highlight of my life. Since I am 14, I can’t travel alone in a big city like San Diego. Let alone my parent’s won’t let me travel on my own here in Charleston. If I were to go to Magic-Con, and since my family is still struggling to make it by, I ask if my brother (who is 18) or my Dad (who is 52) can come with me to one of the greatest moments in my life. I want to share my experience to the ones who got me started in the first place.

(EDIT: I'm only asking for 1 person to go with me, not both, incase if there was any confusion.)

Here is my performance of Wayne Houchin's handling of Twisting the Aces, also inspired by Bill Goodwin for hints of his moves from Twisting the Kings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt5CUU1Ngu4

Thanks to all you guys at Theory11 for making this possible to the lucky person who goes. You guys truly care about this art and will always be in my heart.

Cheers,

Casey Rudd

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I really don´t know what to post and why should be me the one who goes to magic-con...

I see a lot of guys here that are better than me and other that are in the same position of me...and still I think they all have the same right to go, since everybody has worked hard as most of us to be good magicians...

personally I think the reason why would I want to go to Magic-Con is that I want to bring some magic of there to here....

Not in the form of decks or tricks or books, but on knowledge and experience, to bring some of the feeling of amazingness (if that word exist) to my hometown...you see here in Leon magic is so scarce that it´s only me and other magician that performs here, also magic is heavily stereotyped here, everybody thinks of us as jokes and guys with hats and bunnies...

Thankfully I have started to change that very slow...but it´s a fact, by performing a lot and breaking the stereotypes by showing that magic is for everyone and that magic can be serious, funny, mistifying, amazing, confusing and accesible...every sarcastic smile that appears when I say "I am a magician" is vanished when I perform for them and show them that magic is always changing and is more that meets the eye..

I want to change that and I want the magic to be more wide spread here, but I am only one guy and I have so many requests of kids and people alike on how to learn magic and I try to give the best advice I can, and sometimes I teach...and it seems that It will be like that for some time, but I think that if get the experience of meeting some of the greatest minds in magic today....I maybe can learn how to spread the feeling of magic in other ways than perform or teaching...the experiences that I could have there would be unforgetable and I want to learn how to make my magic unforgetable for my spectators...because if I keep screaming and hoping...maybe somebody here would listen....

that would be my reason why I want to go to Magic-Con...I won´t post more, because I think my message is clear and there is no need for more words...

thanks!!!

Feb 6, 2010
SNC Entry

Well, I'm new to T11. I usually hang around over at the D&D forums, but this contest was too good to pass up.
I'll be 17 at the time of the convention, and I'll have been doing magic and flourishing for around 3-4 years now. Although I'm from northcentral Louisiana, I don't live in hick country or a swamp by any means, but I've never had the opportunity to meet another magician or see a magic performance other than videos online. Hopefully this means I've developed a style of my own. I perform at area, state, and national conventions for school clubs like FBLA, BETA, and FFA doing walk around magic. I have also performed at local churches relating my illusions to the Gospel (Guy Hollingworth's Destroyed and Reproduced Card ftw). I've recently come up with a few new false counts and utility moves and productions and the like (cards only) over the past year. I don't have a video camera, or the money to blow on one. So without the trip, it is highly likely that no one will get to see them for a long while. I also hope the convention will give me a chance to share my creations to inspire others as well as myself and give me insight to how other magicians think and perform. In conclusion, I want to go to get better, make friends, and most of all... to have FUN. :D

Thanks for considering me,
-Savage

Jun 14, 2009
Love the contest guys. Great prize.

I hate to be "that guy" but is it possible to extend the deadline one more day? My submission will take a few days to complete and I can't work on it at all during the week. Thanks so much.

Feb 7, 2010
Sweden, Uppsala
I am a young magician that have been into magic for a while, and I have always been interested in and wanted to go to this sort of conference. My problem is that it's way to expensive for me.
I think I will learn A LOT if I would go to this conference, from the different lectures by the most awesome magicians, and all the tips from random people.
It would inspire me and improve my way of performing, how I do my tricks and flourishes.

I love magic and I practice many hours a day. I can't really say how much because I ALWAYS walk around with a deck of cards in my hands.
I think it would improve my way of thinking and help me come up with my original ideas. I have for a long time been trying to come up with my own stuff.
But after I have come up with what I thought was the "good stuff", I either find out that someone else did it before me,
or I'll just discover that it's not good as I thought.

Another reason is that, when you live in Sweden (As I do), it can be hard to find the magic stuff that you need/want. At least for a good price.
Not only that I would take home a lot of great influences and tips, I would also take home magic items.
I have many times been thinking of going to another country just to buy my magic stuff cheaper, but then I remembered that the trip would cost a lot more than to just order it online from Sweden.
This would be my best chance ever to get my hands on the stuff I've always wanted.

I also need help with how I should film and edit my magic videos, how to do it in the best and coolest way. I am not sure if my filming and editing skills
would improve if I won this prize, but if it will, that's just another reason that I deserve to win this price.

I think I have mentioned enough reasons, except that - It will be one of the most awesome and funniest experience I have ever done.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results