Saturday Night Contest - Performance Stories : Holiday Edition

Sep 1, 2007
On December 14th, the local library was having an open mic night, so I thought I would perform some magic. My routine went well, and all the other performances were good too. The thing was, there was a huge time slot left after everyone was finished, they urged me to do more magic. So I did. It turned into an extra 30 minute performance, it was awesome! I did a real quick impromptu torn and restored card to appease the audience. The thing was, the heckler of the group spotted the "method" and called me out on it. Thinking quickly, I turned the whole effect into a joke, making it look like I did it on purpose, when in reality, I screwed up pretty badly. But it's all good, because they got a good laugh out of it, and it was entertaining.

Me showing the third climax from Joshua Jay's Big Deal.
n597932657_519740_3358.jpg

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
The night was Monday December 17th of this year, my birthday. My father was out of town so it was only me, my mom and brother who went out for dinner at the local East Side Marios. Normally when I go out in public I always prepare myself for performing, even if I don’t want to or don’t plan to. I took along a deck of cards (rigged with a few duplicates, and set up to do delirium and 2 card monte) and had 2 loops around my wrists. So were eating some bread and drinking a beer, and my mom comes up with the subject of magic. I explained it was only a hobby to do at bars, or for friends, and in no way wanted a career in it (well...it would be nice, but id need to make a ton of changes).
One of the very attractive waitresses, who I had seen in my local pub a few times, who also noticed me for performing magic, overheard our conversation and had asked me to perform for her. I pulled out my cards, and started with the delirium effect. The four 2’s were on top, and she chooses a card which is placed face down on the table and the corresponding 2 is shown (say her card was queen of hearts, so the 2 of hearts is the corresponding one) and then wave above the selected card on table. The 2’s are spread showing one card face down, the 2 of hearts was missing, but it was actually the selected card, and the 2 was on the table. So she began to go nuts, screaming, calling over her co-workers. This got the attention of several families sitting around our table and began to get up, a crowd gathered around me. Believe it or not, this was the first time my mother saw me performing at all, as her and my dad are not very supportive when they see I have 20+ decks of cards...lol. So she was speechless also, not knowing that her son was the next coming of Jesus :)

I then began to do some basic tricks, 2 card monte, producing the first 2 cards “inside” the pocket of one of the kids from another table. Our meal arrived after this, and some of the folks went back to their seat, but many wanted me to do one more trick. I didn’t feel like doing another card trick, and I had no elastics to do the floating elastic with my loops. Maybe it was the beer, or maybe it was the adrenalin high from performing, but i proceeded to take a short strand of spaghetti from my dish and yes, you guessed it, began to levitate the spaghetti with my loops.

Not only was it my birthday, but I had a very successful performance. And the best part was, not only did I get my meal free, but it came with a phone number from the waitress.

Last edited by a moderator:
My story starts at Thanksgiving. I was visiting my daughter and grandson in Washington state. I took them to dinner to a pizza place and had my magic stuff with me and performed for a few of the families there just for fun. One of the families asked if I would like to perform for their groups Christmas party. I explained that I was from California visiting and they gave me a business card and asked me to think about it and call them within a week to let them know, they would pay my expenses to drive up for the party. I decided to give it a go and called them to find out the details of what they wanted me to do, walk around or palour type magic. They said walk around would be fine and then he mentioned that he should let me know that the performance would be for a nudist organization. Well that really threw me and told him so and he said that I did not have to perform naked if that would bother me. I figured they always say imagine your audience in their underware. Anyway I decided to do the performance and when I got there everyone was naked and started to perform which the people seemed to enjoy. However there were several people that good stuff but can you do it naked to which I replied yes. Being as I was the only one wearing clothes feeling a little out of place I decided to take my clothes off and continue with my performance. I was more nervous about getting naked than I was performing but all went well and if they ever ask me back I would do it in a heartbeat. It was fun.

Attachments

• Photo 187.jpg
    Photo 187.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Photo 177.jpg
    Photo 177.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Photo 183.jpg
    Photo 183.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 1, 2007
On Boxing Day, my friends and I decided to bring some Christmas cheer to all of the angry shoppers around the mall. It was 8 at night, freezing cold, but we decided to tough it all out and bring some joy and wonder to as many people as possible. I brought with me my deck of cards and a few coins and started to completely astound the shoppers. The money and anger left their spirits and only joy remained. It was a great experience for both the shoppers and I. I had pictures, but they were left on the cell phone of my friend.

Sep 2, 2007
Canada Toronto
On Boxing Day, my friends and I decided to bring some Christmas cheer to all of the angry shoppers around the mall. It was 8 at night, freezing cold, but we decided to tough it all out and bring some joy and wonder to as many people as possible. I brought with me my deck of cards and a few coins and started to completely astound the shoppers. The money and anger left their spirits and only joy remained. It was a great experience for both the shoppers and I. I had pictures, but they were left on the cell phone of my friend.

Just made it ;)

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
I performed yesterday after the show at California Magic Dinner Theater. People were exiting the door because the show was over. There was still a few people inside in the MAGIC SHOP section looking at the tricks. I said to myself, "I have to perform tonight because I brought my invisible deck and 8card brainwave." "If I don't perform I brought them for nothing." So, I see these ladies and I ask" do you wanna see a trick?" One of the ladies said, "Sure." I showed her 8 card brainwave and as I was counting the cards my teeth started to chatter a little. My chattering stopped, and in the end of 8 card brainwave the lady said, "Wow you're really good." "Do you take classes here?" I said no. I asked her if she wanted to see anothe trick. She said yes so I showed her invisible deck. When she pulled out the face down card and turned it over, her jaw was on the floor(not really). She said I was really good. Yesterday had to be my best performances(during the holidays) because I met really nice people who didn't expect to get impressed by a 13 year old. When I went home I felt really happy about the night and I hope to do that again in the future.

Aug 31, 2007
IMHO,

I think Blink's story stood out the most to me. It was just so cute to see all those little kids' wonder-filled faces. Not that I'm saying the rest weren't good. I just felt like mentioning this particular story. It's really something to see little kids being amazed by magic. Nothing like it.

Anyways,

Best of luck, guys.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results