Saturday Night Contest - Roundtable with Jason England

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
It will be a little bit difficult for us to top the Magic-Con SNC that ended this past week. But tonight, we're going to give it a shot. Last night, we released the 437th 1-on-1 video from the hands of Jason England (okay, I may have made that number up). The subject was the Push Off Second Deal, which followed Jason's release on the Double Lift one week prior. If you haven't seen both of these videos yet, please push aside the rock under which you live and check them out now.

Tonight's event is a discussion with the man himself. A legend among serious card handlers, and a certifiable technician on the subject of card magic: Jason England. As we often mention, it is one of the goals of this site to connect each of you with this industry's most respected artists in a uniquely intimate, interactive manner. Tonight is your chance to ask Jason ANY question you wish. What do you want to know? What do you need to know?

This is a rare chance to gain direct, invaluable insight on any topic you choose. From the Zarrow Shuffle to the Double Lift to the Greek Deal to the Push Off Second Deal - one conversation with Jason could provide enough subtleties for you to improve your card handling skills for years to come. So now is your chance - ask away. All questions are fair game, and we will select as many questions as possible to answer in a podcast posted later tonight.

Limit of THREE questions per member, so choose your questions wisely and make 'em count. Questions must be posted in THIS forum thread on or before 10:00pm EST. Podcast will be posted at 11:00pm EST. PRIZE: one random member whose question is asked in the podcast will receive your choice of THREE 1-on-1 videos from Jason, sent on the house.

UPDATE: Podcast has been posted! Listen to it now here.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
How many books do you own on the subject of gambling/magic/general card skills?

When you were a beginner, did you have a mentor to help you along?

Have you ever used your skills to cheat at a legitimate card game? Go Fish and Slapjack DEFINITELY count.

Jul 8, 2008
Hi guys. I've been waiting for another discussion with Jason for a while. He's very knowledgable.

Jason, what do you think of the progression with gambling and magic. In other words, do you think we will break the habit of using magic to find hands of cards in novel ways or ever use it differently?

Jul 8, 2008
Here's another one :D Jason, I see a TON of people trying to explain techniques to audiences all the time. It seems like some of these people don't really care and they often don't when I try to do it. How do YOU think gambling routines should be approached when using exposing in the actual effect?

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Nobody is just magically born a card sharp. How did you gain your interest?

Gambling demonstrations are not your everyday entertainment. How did you get your start in performing gambling demonstrations?

How would you recommend that an aspiring card sharp get their start in the "big leagues?"

Jun 14, 2009
What books would you recommend to a beginner in gambling techniques?
Any crazy stories on getting caught cheating?
What is the most difficult move for you?

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
Snc

1. How does the Zarrow Shuffle work? (lol this probably won't get answered)

2. Where did YOU learn all the things you teach on 1-on-1?

3. What deck do you think is the best overall to perform your double lift with?

Jul 8, 2008
Jason, how do you feel about branching out in magic? It seems from what we have seen, cards are where you stand and what you do specifically. Do you do any money magic or manipulation, maybe rubber bands?

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
1) Why do you think it is that you were more attracted to gambling sleights than other types of magic and/or sleights?

2) Which sleight or move is your favorite?

3) For a person that would really want to dedicate a lot of time to your kind of moves and sleights, what would be the books on your recommendation list for that person?

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
What a coincidence, I just bought the 2 most recent 1 on 1s from him! For the record, the instruction on the double lift and the push off second deal is phenomenal, I've already gained a lot of knowledge and have gotten way better on both of them.

Here are my questions:

1. Even though you have so many books, which I envy you for ;), what are some great books that you haven't read yet that you REALLY want to get your hands on?

2. What are some books that are foundational for every magician or card conjurer alike to have?

3. Throughout your personal experiences, who have you worked with and who were you taught by to have such ninja hands?! I REALLY want to know!

Thanks for answering at least one of these questions, I truly admire what you've done for the community; I admire you in general even more. You have done and accomplished great things, can't wait to see more from you. :)

Cheers,

Casey Rudd

pnmilton

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Jason,

I've always felt the easiest (and most logical) way to present card magic is by using gambling cheat/sleight of hand hooks and stories. I've found it always engages the audience and gives them a feeling of peeking behind the curtain even though you're leading them down the garden path and not exposing anything.
As a student of sleight of hand with cards and especially gambling moves do you always present card "magic" (as opposed to standard poker deal demos) in this way or do you mix it with a Paul Harris-esque treating the cards almost as if they were living things, or with a comedy twist like Bill Malone or Jay Sankey?
I sometimes feel like no matter how flawless the sleight of hand and how amazing the effect the spectator will always place it in the "I don't know how he did it but I know it was sleight of hand" box. Which somewhat limits the strength of the magic you can do with a pack of cards.
Would love to hear your thoughts on this....

Phil

Nov 7, 2009
1) Whats your favourite deck of cards?

2) What would your once piece of advice be to a young card magician?

3) So your surrounded by brain dead youtube revealing kids... What do you do?
a) Fight them off with Danny Garcias numchucks.
b) Perform gaterboots to them.
c) Shout for Chris Kenner to come and save you.

Aug 19, 2009
I'm fairly new to magic, but I have purchased several of your videos and attempted to learn the sleights, but I'm still having a lot of trouble. What progression in learning the techniques would you recommend in terms of difficulty and building of mechanical movements? Or, in slightly less confusing terms, which three of the sleights you've taught in video would you recommend a beginner attempt first? :)

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Hello Mr.England,
I merely have one question for you and that is, what is the most useful gambling sleight you have ever learned that really freaks people out?

Oct 14, 2009
Questions for Jason England

What noticeable differences are there between the reactions of spectators while performing a simple trick as opposed to a more advanced trick?

Are there some sleights that you prefer to practice on your own for fun but rarely show to spectators?

What sleights are you currently learning for the first time?

Thank you!

Jan 13, 2008
1) Jason, you've released some great technical sleights that seem like they would be right at home in a gambling demonstration. However, never having performed such a routine myself, I would like to know: How would you go about constructing a gambling routine? What would it consist of (as in, what sleights would it consist of, and how would you present those sleights)?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results