Saturday Night Contest - Tales from the (Mechanic's) Grip

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Telling a story is an integral aspect of performance art. The ability of the magician to present a plot or storyline that draws in his audience is crucial to creating memorable moments of astonishment. Some magicians have taken this as literally as possible - devising complete performance scripts using nothing more than a deck of ordinary playing cards, to tell the tale. A few that come to mind are Bill Malone, Daniel Garcia (NSFW), the performer featured HERE, and most recently Jason Jacobs with his complete series of card stories.

Following in the footsteps of the aforementioned performers, your goal tonight is to create a story that you can tell using nothing more than the cards in a standard pack of playing cards. You may use half the deck or the full deck - the choice is yours - but you must be able to tell a story using each individual card within that grouping (as with the videos above). Be as creative as you'd like; we're looking for those videos that are captivating and original. Entries can be funny or serious, short or long. Anyone can participate - as long as you have a deck of cards and an imagination.

Note that there is a limit of one video entry per participant, so make it count! All submissions should be upload to Youtube, Vimeo, or Drop.io no later than 11:00pm EST for judging. Tonight's winner will walk away with a six-pack of playing cards (your choice), sent on the house. We're excited to see the stories each of you have to tell. Good luck guys!

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Garcia's with Brushwood is hilarious - I've heard numerous reports that Dan White has a special version of his own. Have fun with this one! So many possibilities!

Apr 13, 2010
Banning CA
Do we respond to this thread with the Youtube video of the story? Oh and does it have to be magic with cards and story or can it be a story using a deck of cards

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Do we respond to this thread with the Youtube video of the story? Oh and does it have to be magic with cards and story or can it be a story using a deck of cards

Yes - you can include a link to your YouTube video in respond to this forum thread. For an example of the type of effect we're looking for (a narrative with cards), check out the examples posted by Raiker of DG, Malone, etc.

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hello!

This is my first time in Saturday Night Contest. I want to share with You guys my quick little story. It's my reflection about loneliness. Hope You like it.

Alone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtWlCXoIeg0

Greetings from Poland,

Maciej Dzięgielewski

Awesome man! Though, I swear I've seen that video a while ago - this is the same video file. Usually, you want to upload something that you make on the day of the SNC into the SNC :) It makes it trickier when you only have a few hours to make the submission, as oppose to a few months (and uploading an old video).

It is your first one though. Great video, as I have commented on it before. Was it in this media section? I feel like it was.

Good luck,

-Sanj

gio

May 3, 2009
Poland
yes it's my 'old' routine, but still mine and i thought it's good story to tell. For me it's very important subject. The video wasnt on media section ;)

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
Hello!

This is my first time in Saturday Night Contest. I want to share with You guys my quick little story. It's my reflection about loneliness. Hope You like it.

Alone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtWlCXoIeg0

Greetings from Poland,

Maciej Dzięgielewski

I like it a lot, but I think the point of this SNC was to tell a story through patter. I might be wrong..

On the other hand, you can't really perform this live, can you? I mean, if you tried, you would really have to good at misdirection.

Rneogy

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Well, I got home from a gig at a 50th anniversary party, around an hour ago. Exhausted, I decided that I'd try out a very new piece of magic I've been working on, though, looking back, it didn't turn out as well as I liked it to look. The false counts should be done a lot faster - doing them slowly like I did in this video, made them look pretty bad. (I am more of a mentalist performer though, I hardly do any tricks with cards, besides some ACAAN's, :p )

It's awesome exploring new genres of magic though.

So HERE is my video, please give me some advice! The patter was weak too, I should've built it up a little more, but it was my first taping, as I was too tired to keep re-filming.

Thanks guys!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results