Saturday Night Contest : What You Think

Nov 25, 2012
We should post a video of a trick that we have to come up with on our own, in like 3 hours time! I think the outcome will be interesting. But for myself, Calen Morelli, and other magicians it would be easy, because I have to create one trick, everyday, for a whole year! (Yes, I'm doing what Calen did, I'm just hoping that I can finish what we both started! :D) here's the link to my YouTube channel IF you want to see 365 effects :) www.youtube.com/user/theentrydude

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not do a challenge that focuses on the audiences reactions?

Live performance filmed for the contest- no canned footage, judges pick the winner based on performance and audience reactions.

Bonus points if the effect is a theory11 trick or deck.

Sep 1, 2007
Why not do a challenge that focuses on the audiences reactions?

I really don't think this is too much to ask. It would be a refreshing change of pace from all the recent contests that have all either been, "SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!!" or, "Say the secret word and win a hundred dollars."

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
I've always liked the contests where you actually need to create something in order to win. I'd like to see:
Finish this Trick
Create a Variation
Combine Flourishes (like try to make something like Jackson 5 or smaller)

Sep 1, 2007
Maybe it's the showman in me, but I think it would be nice to have a contest that actually requires you to show us a full presentation. You know... with words and stuff. It has blocking. And we can see your face in the video instead of just your hands and possibly your undercarriage.

Reactions: IsaacHaber
Aug 17, 2012
Maybe it's the showman in me, but I think it would be nice to have a contest that actually requires you to show us a full presentation. You know... with words and stuff. It has blocking. And we can see your face in the video instead of just your hands and possibly your undercarriage.

I think many people will refuse to show presentational value, as there are many "internet-sheep's" out there of whom completely rip off other peoples presentation. And I believe presentation makes the magician/performer you are.

Sep 1, 2007
I think many people will refuse to show presentational value, as there are many "internet-sheep's" out there of whom completely rip off other peoples presentation. And I believe presentation makes the magician/performer you are.

Then they don't get to compete. At some point you gotta tell these kids to put up or shut up.

Apr 14, 2013
England
How about tricks with specific items? Like rings or straws. Something random and everyone has to create an effect (or routine) based around it. Or live performances of impractical tricks.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Alrighty then.
-A contest for who can do the most (best reactions, most technical, most fluid, take your pick) with a single card or coin.
-Best effect utilizing a double backer(coin or card)
-Best (funniest, most outrageous, most impactful, etc) reaction.
-"worst" blooper
-Longest spring/dribble
-Make an original "magician fooler"
-BEST PATTER
-Best (live performance?) "team" magician trick. NOT STOOGES, two magicians.
-Most original card revelation (or coin transportation location revelation)
-Best use of card back design in presentation (visual or patter)
-Funniest cease and desist letter to exposers (doesn't actually have to be sent, be appropriate)
-Best use of an unused and preferably old principle, must include citation.
-Best 1$ routine. Create an effect or routine using only objects which cost less than a dollar, head over to the dollar store! (are these still around?)
-Best use of misdirection in a live performance, or as a performance for camera. To specify the performance for camera, your audience are the people watching your video. Not an imaginary audience that is in front of you with the camera watching.

And it never hurts to see some more fake exposure contest, by far my favorite contest idea I've seen from T11.
I'll have some more to post a bit later today, I just got a little riled up looking back over the past few months contest at how many have been repeats and/or just plain boring. The SNC's are my favorite part about the Theory11 community!!! Make them count.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Although this may come across as poor sportsmanship or being ungrateful, but I like the idea of having a first, second and third prize. For example, 1st prize gets 6-12 decks, 1000 points, recent magic releases etc...2nd place could get 2 decks of cards and 500 elite points, and 3rd place could just get 250 elite points. You guys frequently that you have trouble picking an absolute best of the best, so this could ease up that process a bit. Just a thought, I'm not complaining at all about the SNCs. They're always fun.

Sep 23, 2012
how about we get a t11 artist (chris kenner for a tough challenge) and whoever fools him with an original effect wins and i do agree with PAV about 1st second and third place winners

Jul 22, 2013
California
What about a simple SNC? You set a genre, and we design an Ace of Spades for that card genre. Digitally or hand illustrated, whichever is the most aesthetically pleasing and fits the genre.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results