Sentinels Trivia

Nov 7, 2009
Paris, France
So, I received my Sentinels, and now that I've seen all the symbols that were printed both on the card box, the card back and the court cards faces, I think that there is so much new possibilites to patter upon. However, my mystic/occult knowledge is rather limited, so I think it would be a great idea to make a Wiki about the Sentinels, either on this very thread or on a dedicated website running a wiki engine (possible copyright infrigement? If T11 is OK with that, that would be cool :p)

Let me hear your thoughts !

Aug 31, 2010
These are my postulates so far, I would be very interested for one of the "Sentinels" designers to come in here and either confirm or deny my ideas on the symbolism within the cards.

The backs:
I believe the scarabs to be rather self explanatory being that they are a rather clear allusion to ancient Egypt. The East tends to be a prominent motiff in this deck as we'll see some references to ancient Mesopotamia as well. There are several circles, half of the circles sharing one eye as the center, and the other half sharing the other eye as the center. The circle with a point (in this case the eye) in the middle is the circumpunct which throughout time has represented many different things from the sun (an essential symbol in most mysticisms) to the alchemical symbol for gold (which has its own intersting history which we'll get to) to things like an "Ordi, the symbol of the Divine Order, representing Chaos, Light, Life, Freedom, Good, Happiness, Infinity, and Existence" (Wiki). In the Native American culture it can represent the spirit or "god" though I would say the intent of the circumpunct here would be as one of the first three.
*A quick note on gold in alchemy and its more modern ties with the Illuminati and the Freemasons. The alchemical transformation of lead into gold is more metaphorical than literal. Lead represents the human mind which, through the study of "alchemy", is on a quest to become gold, or rather, man's quest to become enlightened.

The pyramid with the eye in the middle is not so much a pyramid as I would say a capstone. A capstone is a smaller pyramid which goes on top of a larger pyramid who's top has been cut off. The capstone is usually made of gold or some other precious metal and again is representative of the human struggle to achieve enlightenment. The circle above the pyramid I believe to be a personal pride mark for theory11. They put an 11 inside of a circle on top of a pyramid which points to enlightenment, or perfection. Given the deep severity of the topics at hand I find the personal pat on the back to be funny and refreshing. The eye within the pyramid would represent the all-seeing eye (See: Ultimate knowledge, not Sauron). The pyramid with the eye was/is a symbol which is important to the Freemasons and the Illuminati and can still be found on the back of the American dollar which has arguably less symbolism than this gorgeous deck of cards.

I should be updating on the Ace of Spades and the court cards later if I get some time. If anyone feels like getting ahead of me they can research the star of Ishtar and the inverted triangle. I would not mind handing the torch over on this one. ><

Also, if anyone wants to decipher the Greek writing under the pyramids that would be most appreciated. I believe them to be a reference to Hermes so far which would play right into the Hermetic theme.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results