Some Advice on Tutoring

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
So, I was at work the other day (I work at Starbucks). Often, I'll do a simple tenkai vanish and production of the customer's credit card/starbucks card, especially if they have a young child with them.

So, a customer comes in with his daughter, purchases some drinks, and I decide to do a tenkai before handing back the card.

The man proceeds to ask me when I first got interested in magic, how long I've been doing it, etc.; he mentions that his daughter has been asking for a tutor for the past year or so (Fresno is a rather magically dull town), and asked if I'd be interested in that. I said yes, he gave me his card; I still haven't called.

I haven't called yet because I'm not sure what I would teach a six year old. My magic knowledge is rather limited to card magic, and most of my original work is really advanced. I'm aware that I'd be starting with the basics, such as double lifts and maybe a few changes, but I'm afraid that even simple things like that will go way over her head.

So, I need your guys' (and gals'!) advice on what kind of magic / tricks I should teach her.

Many thanks,
Ben

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
6 year olds... hard to keep their attention with the basic sleights and whatnot. I'd recommend picking up like, one of those books wayne talks about on the control dvd, the kiddy stuff, but has a couple of really good effects. ( his had the basic pulse stop)
Also, you should stress to the child the importance of "the magicians code" and practice.
If I were going into teaching magic, i'd start with coin stuff. not card stuff. Cards are big for tiny hands. Coin on the other hand, can be used in so many ways for so many effects. Basic palming and producing techniques, coin matrix (reminted i think) for example. Easy to teach.

much luck!

Sep 1, 2007
In my opinion, I would start with some effects that are self-working and maybe some very simple sleight of hand techniques. Six isn't very old, so it may be hard for someone of that age to comprehend some of the finer aspects of closeup magic.

I would recommend that you maybe try effects out of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. There are some good simple effects that even I was able to understand as a child.

I would probably not teach anything with cards quite yet. Gimmicks are usually best for kids as it allows them to really get a grasp on the presentation as the gaff does all of the work. So like a change bag, or color changing silks, or even a stripper deck.

Hope this helps some.

Nov 17, 2007
Teach her the SWE shift...

JK

I suggest teaching her some self working tricks first, then slowly tranition into some basic sleights.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
Thanks for the responses guys; I'm aware that at this point, card magic is probably out of reach for her -- I was asking what you think I should teach her instead.

I think I'll go by Hocus Pocus today and see what they have in stock.

PTG

Jun 15, 2008
In a cave.
If you want the father to be happy and continue to let you teach her, then you'll be sure to show her easy tricks... Get a small set of tricks, like the ones marked for beginner's at Penguin. Then, show her what the trick is supposed to look like, teach it to her, and have her practice it. Then, even if the little girl shows the trick to her father without having practiced enough, he'll still see that it's a clever trick and thinking he's getting his money's worth.

-PTG

BTW make sure you aren't part of IBM or any other magicians group, becuse they can get very mad if they learn that you are teaching other people... Best of luck!

Dec 22, 2007
teach her the clipshift. if she practices , at that rate she'll be better than chad nelson by the age of 17.

just teach simple effects like the the three rows of seven trick.
or teach her about the key card.
just self working tricks will work.
how about that trick were they put a card in the deck and it turns upside down.
get a cheap magic set. maybe you can't depending on how much they pay.
hoped I helped.

Sep 1, 2007
I wouldn't teach her card magic, teach her some basic coin vanishes like the french drop, get her a thumb tip maybe?

I suppose it depends on how capable she seems as well.

Sep 1, 2007
I wouldn't teach her card magic, teach her some basic coin vanishes like the french drop, get her a thumb tip maybe?

I suppose it depends on how capable she seems as well.

Actually, a thumb tip is a great suggestion.

Definitely do that. Very versatile, easy to use.

Sep 1, 2007
BTW make sure you aren't part of IBM or any other magicians group, becuse they can get very mad if they learn that you are teaching other people... Best of luck!

Fuddy duddy old squares...

Anyway, there's a lot of good material in Mark Wilson's that younger kids can pick up without much trouble. Coin magic is good because they can practice anywhere and anytime they have a coin.

Jul 15, 2008
get that thing where the cord is cut in half, then restored :D

or, the ball in the cup where you take a ball out of the cup and its still there when you uncover the cup

or that stick with either holes or colors I think it's called hot rod.

perhaps she may even be ready for sponge balls!

Teach her tricks that work with 1 way back cards, tricks like invisible reverse, or overall easy to do tricks that may require setting up. (don't forget 3x7)

stay away from tricks that require double lifts, breaks, color changes, complicated sleights (6 year olds wouldn't have large enough or agile enough hands for those imo)

maybe a magnetic bracelet or something for pk effects

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Her hands are so small that a thumb tip would be more like a HAND tip! Hahahahhahahahahaha! Haha! Ha.
I have no friends.

Oh man! that was funny...Mad props to you Tumbleweed.

ANd I'm going to stick with VWind - Try SPongeballs, for little kids, spongeballs can be astounding, and they are also very easy to use and very simple to perform.

Or you could also always go for coins, although i think alot of basic coin sleights require you to be a bit more coordinated than a six year old...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results