Sponge Ball Thread - Ideas and Concepts

Nov 13, 2009
Hey Guys,

I have performed sponge balls more then any other effect ever. It has everything a good illusion should have - audience interaction , suprise, mulitple phases. Its great for any setting, walk about, close up, even stage. I thought I would start a thread about this wonderful illusion. I thought we could discuss different routines. What routine do you use? What is your favorite move? Is there any thing that you have learned through performing this effect? What new methods have been developed over the years?

The routine I love and perform all the time is Mark Wilsons routine it builds nicely upon itself and has a fitting ending, all the sponge balls vanishing. Sometimes I will perform color changing sponge ball or other varations but by far my favorite is Mark Wilsons. I want to go through some problems you might encounter performing and how to solve the problems,

1."Its in the other hand" - If you perform lots of slight of hand chances are you have heard this line from your spectators before. A couple of ways to solve this common problem is learn the vanishes so well that you could do them backwards and don't give them the chance of catching you. Ve sure to practice every move infront of a mirror. Practice this routine a thousand times. Another possible way to solve the problem is show your other hand empty using a hand washing sequence this is a very bold move but it is a option. How do you guys solve this problem?

2.The specator might open his hand too soon - This is probably the main problem that people could possibly face with a good sponge ball routine. The specator could open their hand too soon which of course is not good. Here is some ideas that might help,

A. I have found that after you put two balls as one in the spectators hand if it looks as if the specators are going to open it too soon tell them too put there hand behind their back. It is awful hard to look in your hand when it is behind your back. :)

B. Another way is after you put two as one in their hand do all your other work right over the specators closed hand they probably won't open it if you are working over their closed hand.

C. Simply tell them " Hold on to it tight so I can't get at it" I have used this line a countless times and 9 out of 10 spectators tighten their hand until the knuckles turn white. Alot of times we over complicate things. Simple is best.

D. Keep talking with the specators. keep the specators interisted in what your doing and saying and they won't have time to open there hand.

E. And finally just avoid difficult specators. If you see somone who is the type to try to figure you out or mess you up just perform the effect for somone else and let them watch.

Those are some of the ways I have come up with to solve the opening hand too soon problem how have you guys solved this problem?

3. Finally watch out when the specator opens his hand - lol I have learned the hard way the when the specator opens his hand the sponge balls tend to spring out and go every where. If your out side the wind can also be a problem.

Well guys that about sums it up I love sponge ball routines and thought it would be interesting if we discussed them. What are some of the ways sponge ball routines have been advanced? What is your favorite size of sponge ball?

I hope this has been helpful and I am looking forward to hearing more from your guys,

Thanks,

Christian

Sep 1, 2007
3. Finally watch out when the specator opens his hand - lol I have learned the hard way the when the specator opens his hand the sponge balls tend to spring out and go every where. If your out side the wind can also be a problem.

My general experience with this is to lead by example. I don't talk during the reveal. Using whatever drama building technique I'm inclined to that time around, I open my hand slowly and stay silent. I slowly show both hands, front and back, totally empty. Still no talking. I sloowwly point with both hands to their fist.

9 times out of 10, they will open their hand slowly as well since you've already set the example.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
To keep them from opening their hand prematurely, another way is just to turn their hand upside down. For the reveal, I agree with the previous poster, this is how I've always done it, and it flys. A large majority of the time, the spectator follows you. And it's not like they need to hear you talking to take away from the impact of the revelation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 3, 2007
I started to think about sponge balls however the original post is much more informative than I could possibly be.

I'll put a little idea out. Spongeballs aren't something most people think about. Unless they like little fluffy things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 29, 2008
I'm kinda really excited for that DVD now haha. I think with sponge balls it ends up being a lot about presentation. I love sponge balls, and you can see in many professional routines like Daryl's and many others, that the routine can be very simple but powerful. It is usually just a production, a vanish, and then the transposition into the spectator's hand. But with the right presentation it can be extremely powerful.

Jul 14, 2008
Sponge balls are a great props to add on part of your routine. I always use sponge balls as an opener. I have a tip for everyone who are starting the sponge balls. (I hope it is not an exposure). But, when making the vanish or the retention vanish, try to do it slowly for the audience to see rather than fast one. Reason is, because the audience will think that you have fast hands, killing the magic. The best way to do so is to practise and practise many times in front of the mirror until it is perfect.

To transpose, (meaning the sponge ball has transferred into a spectator's hand, in which they have two sponge balls), I strongly agreed with christian1, try to do a "handwashing" motion type. This will be more magical.

Lastly, for anyone who are starting the sponge ball, I suggest you to pick up Jay Noblezada DVD called Sponge. I am planning to pick up soon and it looks like a great dvd.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
i ordered noblezadas DVD and it should be here any day now! i cant wait till it arrives. but, I'm a little nervous, its my first real departure from a pack of cards. are sponge balls a good place to do start with sleight of hand outside of cards?

Nov 13, 2009
My general experience with this is to lead by example. I don't talk during the reveal. Using whatever drama building technique I'm inclined to that time around, I open my hand slowly and stay silent. I slowly show both hands, front and back, totally empty. Still no talking. I sloowwly point with both hands to their fist.

9 times out of 10, they will open their hand slowly as well since you've already set the example.

Great idea I never thought of that but it is true when I open my hand slow they do to.

Thanks for the tip,

Christian

Nov 13, 2009
i ordered noblezadas DVD and it should be here any day now! i cant wait till it arrives. but, I'm a little nervous, its my first real departure from a pack of cards. are sponge balls a good place to do start with sleight of hand outside of cards?

I got my start doing sponge balls I think it would be a great way to switch over from cards! Really if you can perform a good sponge ball routine you will have a great base for moving into other slight of hand stuff including coins and even cups and balls.

If you have any questions about sponge balls I would be glad to help as much as I can,

Christian

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results