Suggestions for a Beginner Cardician!

Jan 27, 2008
Hello, everyone!

I really want to delve into the field the XCM/Cardistry as it just looks sooooo amazing! I really want to learn it and I am going to buy material but I would like some suggestions from you guys.

I own the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes and I am happy with it but some of the eye-candy I see you guys doing, I do not recognize it in my book, so I'm assuming most of you perform material from much different sources. I thought that was surprising because most flourishers praised that book :confused:

What I am going to work on in that book are most of the one-handed flourishes and, hopefully, in BOTH hands. But I would also like to learn some 2-handed material from recommended sources as the 2-handed flourishes in that book doesn't really look all that good when compared with your guy's material (EXCEPT the paddlewheel cut).

Now, I'm not going to totally to do away with all of that material in that book. Eventually, I will get to the fan and arm spread sections and the table sections but that's not what I really want to learn right now.

And none of you have to worry about recommending me decks as I've got a ton of decks:

36 1/2 Blue and Red Bicycle's from Costco.
2 Viper's
2 Ghosts (+ Gaff)
2 Black Tiger's
2 Circle-Back and Fan Back BLACK Tally-Ho's
1 Black Bicycle
12 Brown Wynn's, one opened (for sale)

And that's about it.

What I really have my eyes on are:

--- Xtreme Beginnerz

The System - I've heard you've got to execute these flourishes at super-speed for them to look good :(

--- Lethal - I've heard that most flourishes taught in here are applicable to most other flourishes and that they "flow" well with others.

--- Generation Extreme

--- Trilogy (Flourishes section) - I've heard these we're great.

--- (e)Xtreme Cuts with Keone - I didn't hear many good things about the teaching-mthhods used in that dvd.

--- Jeff McBride's Card Manipulations

I do not know of any books that teaches lots of manipulations and flourishes like TEoPCF.

I also already have fanning powder and I know how to apply it sanely so....

Should I also get some hand-health tools from"

http://www.handhealth.com/

and should I get heavy metal, deck-sized blocks for muscle training like the P.A.D.S.

I thank all of you for reading and advice, for it is much appreciated.

..:Z:..

Sep 1, 2007
The Trilogy?

I dunno I've been trying to get some flourishes down but I cant seem to do anything besides basics D:

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
The Trilogy?

I dunno I've been trying to get some flourishes down but I cant seem to do anything besides basics D:

The Trilogy was actually one of my first flourishing DVDs, and I didn't find the material too difficult. Buy the complete Trilogy DVD, so that you get the Flourishes101 section on everythingelse.

David

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
Hey Z,

The Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes is essential if you want to become an all around type of Cardist. You don't have to learn everything in there but make sure to learn the basic armspreads, fans, cuts, springs, etc. These categories serve as staples in today's world. Once you build a basic foundation you can move on to more advanced material like The System or Cradle To Grave. Xtreme Beginnerz is a great source to learn although the terminology used in the DVD is a bit outdated, the material is still worth looking at. The Trilogy's flourishes section is very difficult for a beginner so be prepared to spend countless hours. (They are well worth the eye candy)

Once you journey into the advanced you can either keep going or think about creating your own material. However, many people make the mistake of creating "new" material early on. Don't fall into being one of them. Creating material should be considered by those years into the art.

As far as finger fitness goes, I never used any resources to stretch or train my hands. The flexibility and strength will develop naturally so it's up to you. It may or may not help.

Hope this helped point you in the right direction.

Take care,

Sep 1, 2007
.... as the 2-handed flourishes in that book doesn't really look all that good when compared with your guy's material (EXCEPT the paddlewheel cut)...:Z:..

hey dude, unless you have the Encyclopedia Companion DVDs, you don't really know how awesome this stuff looks.

you absolutely MUST get the companion DVDs 1, 2, and 3 to see the stuff from the encyclopedia in action (you can get these from flourishman's website where you got the EoPCF)

holy crap, just the tumble cuts routine alone will blow your mind dude. it's hard to tell from just the pics in the book how incredible some of this material really is. like some of the combos, you can't even keep track of his hands, all you see is crazy packets dancing around, its quite surreal.

Jan 27, 2008
Hey Z,

The Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes is essential if you want to become an all around type of Cardist. You don't have to learn everything in there ...but make sure to learn the basic armspreads, fans, cuts, springs, etc. These categories serve as staples in today's world. Once you build a basic foundation you can move on to more advanced material like The System or Cradle To Grave. Xtreme Beginnerz is a great source to learn although the terminology used in the DVD is a bit outdated, the material is still worth looking at. The Trilogy's flourishes section is very difficult for a beginner so be prepared to spend countless hours. (They are well worth the eye candy)

Once you journey into the advanced you can either keep going or think about creating your own material. However, many people make the mistake of creating "new" material early on. Don't fall into being one of them. Creating material should be considered by those years into the art.

As far as finger fitness goes, I never used any resources to stretch or train my hands. The flexibility and strength will develop naturally so it's up to you. It may or may not help.

Hope this helped point you in the right direction.

Take care,

I am not intimidated with difficulty anymore. Difficulty is something I don't worry about anymore. Ironically , I used to completely fret over un-known difficulty levels but I realized that difficulty is just something that is overcomed with practice.

...but make sure to learn the basic armspreads, fans, cuts, springs, etc. These categories serve as staples in today's world. Once you build a basic foundation you can move on to more advanced material like The System or Cradle To Grave.

Well, this is something I don't understand. You say I should build my foundation on these techniques but what difference is it?

(Probably) the first technique a beginner magician would learn is the overhand shuffle controls and that's what many consider to be some sort of a foundation for your magic but knowing how to properly execute an overhand shuffle won't make your pass/shift any better.

I DO want to learn the right-way of how to do a proper "sybil" cut (seeing how there are tons of varations on it), but what does a one-hand cut have anything to do with a different technique taught on something like Lethal or The System? Where is the foundation?

Am I comparing apples and oranges without knowing it? Probably. Like I said, I'm a beginner.

Also...

I wasn't really impressed by the preview video of the Xtreme Beginnerz DvD. The material didn't look all that spectactular to me (then again, that's my opinion) but are they just keeping the good stuff hidden inside the DvD? I heard they did teach a lot of stuff and they have something called a "1-hour fan workshop."

Thanks for you input. I realy do appreciate it.

..:Z:..

Sep 1, 2007
well learning the basic building blocks will help your creativity by sort of letting you know what's out there. plus all this stuff will build hand strength and flexibility and also, fans are *****king cool looking, and worth learning.

Sep 4, 2007
Your fanning should improve a ton after the 1 hour fanning workshop. And yes, the stuff is BASIC, but master it and everything will be gravy for you.

Somewhat at least.

Jan 31, 2008
You should defineatlly XB, even if you don't think that the previews look cool, the material in there is priceless, and of course the fanning workshop should help your fans a lot.... also about the encyclopedia.... you really need to learn the arm-spreads and springs and other things, not just the cuts, you should not learn EVERYTHING in the book, you don't need to learn everything in ch. 1 before moving on. i.e. learn some of the really impressive moves (rather than just the cuts in both hand before moving on) such as the fans, arm-spreads, springs, although you should learn the cuts in both hands while practicing other things, but don't let that stop you from learning more (different) moves. About the system and trilogy.... you should pro'by just get one, since I don't think that you need to have an arsenal of more than 10 good sybils/multi-packet cuts since among laymen they can't really tell the difference, not that there's anything wrong with them, you should just try to have as wide a variety of material as possible.

And Trashman, you need to fix your spelling error, there are two more "*" than needed in ***king :D

Sep 23, 2007
Belgium
I began with extreme beginners and i really loved it. It shows you the basics and beyond. Lethal got some cool moves but very difficult for beginners,
trilogy the same as is the system.

I learned a lot of the flourishes made by regular people on decknique. I think 3 months i did this before going on to the trilogy etc.
Jeff mcbride is actually not really flourishing it's more manipulation witch means letting cards appear from out the middle nowhere. But real flourishing isn't in it.

I recomment XB for you

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results