T-11 Guardian & Centurion Deck Reviews

Feb 4, 2008
T-11 Bicycle Guardian and Centurion Decks

cent3.jpg

Where to buy:
http://www.theory11.com/playingcards/
Price: $4.95 / deck

For more information about my reviewing methods and a list of other reviews: http://forums.theory11.com/showthrea...highlight=deck

If you are interested in my Buyers guide check out this link:
http://forums.theory11.com/showthrea...d-Buyers-Guide

guard2.jpg

Initial Impressions:

These two decks are similar enough that I have decided that I will combine the performance reviews of them. Just to be sure my Guardian deck is from Cincinnati and my Centurion is from Erlanger. There may be some value in separating those reviews but from what I can tell each card is using the same stock and a finish similar enough not to warrant a completely separate review at this time. I may get around to doing separate reviews at some point but that will be on the bottom of my priority list.
As for the decks themselves, in short I can say that they are both very high quality decks with beautifully designed backs that can’t be fully appreciated until you look at them up close. They are both black backed decks with white faces and boarders and for people looking for a “black” deck but who don’t want to sacrifice magic performance(the tell tale white edge that develops on black bordered deck that makes doubling cards harder to disguise) these would be an excellent choice.

The Look: Guardians

guard3.jpg

My personal favorite of the two cards, the Guardian, is a black backed card with an image of an armored angel stomping on, and bashing in the head, of some poor soul with a staff of some sort. Quite an image! Aside from the “Onward Christian Soldiers” imagery it still is a nice looking card. Also the black back on a white border gives the card some striking contrast that is a lacking in many of the E “black decks.” Where those have some subtlety in their fading and shadows these are bold. If the E black decks have the “Ninja Assassin” thing going for them these have the “Might Makes Right Baby!” thing going for them. Which is better? Entirely your choice but as I eluded to before the black bordered decks have a tendency to develop a white edge as they age which in turn makes DLs harder to disguise. These won’t do that.

guard4.jpg

If you can imagine angel wings swooping back into the shape of a spade you have a pretty good idea of the Ace of Spades Tax stamp on these. The Jokers are the same image of the armored angel and the jokers are a pip-less design. The red used on the guardians is not the same as standard USPCC. It is a darker red though not as deep a maroon as the T-11 Bee Stingers or the T-11 Propagandas. Like all T-11 decks the court cards are about the same sketch work as standard USPCC but the color scheme has been toned down. There is no yellow and all that is left is black, blue, red, and a silver grey. The deck comes with a T-11 ad card and a double back card.

The Look: Centurions

cent1.jpg

Another black deck with white borders and faces. The backs of the centurions have a interesting spade design on the top and bottom of the card and on the stem of each spade appears an 11. At the center of the card is a series of four crossed sabers. If my sword geekness is correct then they look similar to a heavy infantry sabre common in the Napoleonic wars.

cent2.jpg

The Ace of spades uses the same pip design used on the backs except that there are two skulls at the foot of each “I” of the 11. The Joker is a shield design. The Roman numeral two is still there and above that are crossed sabres and resting on the sabres are two skulls. There is a “JOKER” written on the upper left and lower right and a five point start on the upper right and lower left. The court cards are almost the same as the court for the guardians but in addition to eliminating the yellow they have also done away with the blue and replaced it with a dark grey. Like its brother it comes with a T-11 ad card and a double backed card.

Card Construction:

These cards measure the same size as a Bike 808(15.5mm) but, whether due to different stock or the high quality press used the Guardians and Centurions have a stiffer snappier feel than the 808. They are also printed using a higher level of quality controls, in the case of the Kentucky cards the Q1.

guard1.jpg

Handling:

These will handle very similar to a bike although they will feel stiffer.

Fanning: OOB: 9
1st Week: TBD
2nd Week: TBD
3rd Week: TBD
4th Week: TBD

An excellent fanning deck but it doesn’t seem distinctly better than a bike.

Spring Energy: OOB: 8

These cards manage to feel distinctly stiffer than a Bike without being a thicker card.

Dribble: OOB: 9

Same as an 808.

Crimp Hold/Recovery: OOB: 7

About an average crimp hold and recovery.

Single Card Glides: OOB: 7

You will feel about the same performance here as you will with a Bike.

2+ Card Obfuscations: OOB: 7.5

The extra stiffness of these decks will give you a bit better performance for some spinning techniques.

Gaff construction and availability: Double backer comes with the deck and all others will have to be homemade.

XCM Flourishing: The striking color contrasts(black back with white border) will make multi packet cuts more visual. The added stiffness without sacrificing fanning capability should give you an edge for multi-packet cut control without losing capabilities with fans and spreads. That combination should make this one of the best flourishing decks available.

Who Should Buy?: Anyone looking for a high quality flourishing deck or people who like to combine mystery performances with card work.

Who should not buy: Anyone concerned with the thought of a black deck being misconstrued as a “trick deck.” One thing to keep in mind about these….these cards have begun to show up at Walmart and in the inventories of other non-magic retailers. That’s probably because the look of them appeals to a younger crowd, even if they are not magicians and flourishers. For that reason, if you perform for a younger crowd I doubt that these decks will draw any suspicion.

Final thoughts:

Other than the added stiffness of the Centurions and Guardians these decks won’t perform much better than a Bike. That said I expect that extra stiffness may play a bigger role in these deck’s performance as soon they ares broken in. One thing to point out is that they are almost as stiff as the E UV500 cards without being as thick. Therefore, if you are looking for a stiffer deck but don’t necessarily want a thicker deck I would give these a strong recommendation. If, on the other hand, you like the thicker feel you may want to pass on these. They are both good quality decks of cards that are well worth the price but at the same time did not strike me as the “best” in the T-11 line. That is not surprising since they were the first two T-11 decks produced.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I love both Guardians and Centurions! They're epic! I hope theory11 comes out with more Centurions, I'm almost out!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results