Teach me something ... ?

Dec 18, 2009
Steerpike:
Sorry, but it's people like you that make me not care for these forums more and more. You always jump on people first chance you get, and use your "funny" little quips while being rude at the same time. It bugs me to no end, just be constructive or don't post at all. Just because your "oh so wise" doesn't mean your always right. Respect others opinions too...
I have no doubt you now think I'm an over-sensitive human/vagina hybrid...

I could not agree more with this guys opinion of you. You will not earn respect here by dissing everyone.

Visualartist: Yes we're a little sensitive. Im not a teacher but I dont like when people's occupations/professions are made fun of...Except a male nurse...thats just funny.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Visualartist: Yes we're a little sensitive. Im not a teacher but I dont like when people's occupations/professions are made fun of...Except a male nurse...thats just funny.

Thats a very noble proffesion. Its like making fun of pediatricians.
You dont like peoples jobs being made fun of? I suppose you dont laugh at a good joke at the expense of politicians,hamburger flippers,strippers,etc.

Sep 1, 2007
I know it is a famous quote but in this particular setting it is insensetive.

No. The context was off, making it more of a non sequitur than anything else.

Steerpike:

I could not agree more with this guys opinion of you. You will not earn respect here by dissing everyone.

I think you're in the wrong thread. That said, your prediction is kind of sad considering I already have. Not so much by being an ******* as just by being able to back up my boasts more often than not and being something of an anomaly among the general crowd.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Pretty much what I intentionally wanted to say,is that if you present it as a neat little trick or just a side attraction,people will ask to learn it. Especially if its with cards since cards are attained easily.
Like,for example, I have a friend who all he does is card tricks. Not into presentation or actual making magic happen. He is like the masses of the new street cool magicians who say they are "themselves" when they perform.
Even though it seems more like an excuse not to actually work at being a full fledged magician.
And so it shines through the performance as something trivial that can be learned in a few steps.

Maybe the OP isnt like this but not all performances are the same. I have too performed lackluster at times. Especially when I first began magic and I would get asked if I could teach them tricks.
Because i didnt make it seem like anything more.

Oct 1, 2008
earth
i would do something like "shuffling lesson" or "sow by the lug" because it seems like your teaching them, when your not but instead are showing them another trick.

Sep 1, 2007
So sad that Visualartist's ego has grown so big that he's unable to admit when he's wrong about something he said - even if is was just a throwaway little quote that "everyone says" - well, I certainly don't say it and apparantly, I'm not alone...

For many people, its the continual stream of mundane, mindless posts that puts them off this message board. For me, its the "all-knowing lords of magic knowledge" like VA and Steerpike that make me want to run for the hills.

Sep 6, 2009
Relax guys. . . Lets get back on topic.

I personally pretend to reveal a trick, when in fact I'm showing them another one. Its like the one taught by Bill Malone where he pretends to teach the people how magicians know how many cards there are by looking at the thickness, and then ask the audience to try. Then he reveals that all of them cut not 10 cards, but to the four 10s

Sep 1, 2007
For me, its the "all-knowing lords of magic knowledge" like VA and Steerpike that make me want to run for the hills.

Then run. Stop ****ing moaning about it and run. If you're taking a phrase that was used incorrectly for the context this god damn personally that it ruins your entire day, then you don't belong on the internet.

Man up or shut up I guess is what I'm saying.

Sep 1, 2007
Oh, its so not about the original quote anymore; I would have thought that reading my last post would have clued you into that!

VA in all likelyhood intended no offence when he posted his original remark - but it was a little thoughtless and its perfectly reasonable to point that out, as I and several others did. Steerpike, you however quite clearly intend offense with your posts to the topic - perhaps its you who should "shut up" as you so eloquently put it.

I make every effort with my posts to contribute in a positive manner to whichever discussion I choose to take part in, which is why I'm here. But perhaps this is indeed the wrong attitude for the T11 message boards; how sad would that be?

Sep 1, 2007
Oh, its so not about the original quote anymore; I would have thought that reading my last post would have clued you into that!

Well apparently it didn't. Fancy that.

Steerpike, you however quite clearly intend offense with your posts to the topic - perhaps its you who should "shut up" as you so eloquently put it.

At least I'm interesting.

I make every effort with my posts to contribute in a positive manner to whichever discussion I choose to take part in, which is why I'm here.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Myself, I see this place as a stagnant hugbox more often than not. I rock the boat, usually when I'm bored, in order to shake things up a bit. Fact of the matter is that being offensive is often the only way to get a bunch of bliss-ninnies to snap out of their self-congratulatory rut.

But fine, I'll humor you. You want a contribution to the thread that plays by your rules? How about this?

Whether or not you teach anything depends entirely on the persona you've adopted. If you want to portray yourself as a slick master of the short con, or as an actual conjurer, or something else entirely. Context is king here and no advice can be offered until you're prepared to give an answer to that question.

If people are asking you to teach them something they can use to impress their friends, then chances are you have no real persona. Consequently, they see it as little one-off party tricks and nothing else. They see the trick and not you.

Sep 1, 2007
Don't you find it ironic that the contribution you made that "plays by my rules" is the most constructive post you've offered to this thread? Perhaps my "rules" aren't so bad after all!

As to the rest of your snarky post, well, whatever man. The schtick gets old after a while and I'm not going to waste anymore time trading shots with someone as clearly superior as yourself. I'll let you get back to looking down your nose at everyone and leave it at that.

Sep 1, 2007
Don't you find it ironic that the contribution you made that "plays by my rules" is the most constructive post you've offered to this thread?

No. I implied the same thing already earlier in the thread. Doesn't surprise me that you missed it.

As to the rest of your snarky post, well, whatever man. The schtick gets old after a while and I'm not going to waste anymore time trading shots with someone as clearly superior as yourself. I'll let you get back to looking down your nose at everyone and leave it at that.

Thank you.

Dec 18, 2009
That said, your prediction is kind of sad considering I already have. Not so much by being an ******* as just by being able to back up my boasts more often than not and being something of an anomaly among the general crowd.
Oh I see; I'm the sad one. Although, last time I checked I'm not the one who has to be a fag to get a point across. Maybe this is just me but I'm not going to take your comments into consideration more just because you act like a dickhead or swear like a sailor.

Sep 1, 2007
Oh I see; I'm the sad one.

No, the prediction was. Jesus, do the schools teach reading comprehension at all these days? Or did you just want an excuse to play the victim card?

I'm not the one who has to be a fag

And thus are our true colors revealed.

I'm not going to take your comments into consideration more just because you act like a dickhead or swear like a sailor.

You don't strike me as the type who would have listened even if I acted like a total bliss ninny.

Sep 1, 2007
ooooooook , i think everyone needs to chillax ... try your best to stay on the topic.

Please do not use the word chillax in my presence ever again. Thank you.

Now as for the topic, tell me what persona you're trying to project. I think you come across to these people as a non-entity and that means whatever you do has no value outside of a party trick. So what are you trying to do? Can't offer any further advice until you answer that question.

Sep 1, 2007
He'll use the word if he wants. You can't take any criticism can you? As soon as someone says for you to get back on topic, you jump on them...
Now, back on topic.

I was being facetious. And I did try to address the topic, unlike you just now. But I need Slicke's answer to my question before I can issue further advice. If you want to criticize me further, keep it to PM because I'm really not in the god damn mood to try and juggle replies in the same thread.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I was being facetious. And I did try to address the topic, unlike you just now. But I need Slicke's answer to my question before I can issue further advice. If you want to criticize me further, keep it to PM because I'm really not in the god damn mood to try and juggle replies in the same thread.
No problem, but I see no reason to take it to Pms either, so will leave it at that.

I agree with Steer though, it would be nice to have some more info so we could better help you out.

Jul 13, 2009
I just remembered, why not just do that ol sucker trick "Torn and Restored napkin?" Very simple to do and besides the sucker part it actually is teaching them a real method. Also the routine can be adapted to any person's personality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results