The Best Advice

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
The best advice anyone can ever give will almost always be harsh. These comments are the ones that stick with you. Let me share a little story.

Several years ago, I began playing drums. I was about 14 - 15. People always would comment on how good my playing was and how well I could keep time. I was very happy about all this. Then, one day a guy comes up to me. He says "Man, your groove sucks." I couldn't believe it, after all these great comments, this guy had the nerve to say this to me? I went home, put on some music and began playing along. I practiced everything. I started playing with people, doing as many shows as I could. I was improving at an insane rate. Why? Because I listened to some random guy who gave me the best advice I could ever get.

Now, several years later, I've had the pleasure of playing music and jamming with several bands and many drummers. To this day, I've had many people give me harsh advice and I've been able to work at those points. I've seen much improvement as a musician, magician and a person.

Just something for you guys to think about as I have been noticing people who need to hear this on these forums.

Jul 13, 2009
I am going to use this analogy, you have to break down muscle to make muscle. You have to make the mistakes before you can learn from them.

But there is a fine line between Harsh and Outright rude.

this shouldnt be confused with an a$$hole giving an opinion.
if someone came up to me and said, you suck at magic. i would like to know why? so if they can somehow back up the claim. then yea thats good.
Sometimes these tools will tell you you suck,then that will make u want to work harder to prove them wrong.
thats a little different than advice
and no, good advice doesnt have to be the harshest.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results