The Challenge Nobody Will Take

Sep 1, 2007
Honestly, I do not expect anybody to actually take this. I will explain why in a moment.

Once again, I'm not participating because I have neither the time nor the resources immediately available to do this.

Anyway, I've remarked now and again that the constant attempts to shut down religion and politics in magic is kind of stupid. Better to smack down those who can't be mature about it than to assume we're all a bunch of inarticulate, uninformed troglodytes. And I've seen that this forum has a love of mixing the spectacle of magic with music, most likely inspired by the manipulation artistry scene. Since one of my heroes is Peter Gabriel, I fully support the idea of letting the theater of magic and mentalism cross with other media to create new and interesting presentations.

Which brings me to the topic of this battle. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it is to break new ground in magic and mentalism by taking a huge risk with one of the most controversial topics of all time. I want you to pick one of the following songs and do an appropriately choreographed routine to it:

Angel of Death - Slayer
Red Sector A - Rush
The Flowers of Guatemala - REM
Get Clean - Anarchy Club
Beds Are Burning - Midnight Oil
With God on Our Side - Bob Dylan
Ilsa Koch - Woodie Guthrie

If you're familiar with any of these songs, then you've already figured it out. All are songs about genocide and/or the Holocaust.

This brings me to why I don't think anyone will take this challenge. I have to confess when the thought first crossed my mind I felt dirty. But why should the theater of magic be inappropriate for sociopolitical topics, even one this bleak? People don't take it seriously enough. We haven't done anything to make them believe that the magic community is capable of true artistic expression.

That needs to change. This battle certainly isn't going to be the first step in changing that trend by any stretch of the imagination. But we do need to stop playing it safe.

If you are considering taking this challenge, I beg of you to do real historical research and plan this as meticulously as possible. Don't just break out a deck of cards or a handful of coins and consult your DVD library. Consider your message first and the vehicle for conveying it second. I understand that for some it's going to be very scary approaching a sociopolitical topic with magic. But that should only motivate you to make sure you do it right.

To state for a third and final time, I am not expecting anyone to actually take this challenge. You should only take it if you feel that magic truly is an art, that you are ready to make a real artistic statement, and you truly believe that this is a subject you need to make people more aware of. Do not even consider taking this challenge if this subject is not important to you.

Thank you.

I will take your chalange!

i understud the concept and the idea made the litlle gears in my head start to crash, send me a menssage so we can go over the rules, i really want to do it.
but i probably will need at least two weeks to make a good video, i will not do something half done just to say that i did it, i realy want to put my soul on the project.

(sorry for my bad inglish i'm brazilian)

May 31, 2008
I've been listening to, "With God on Our Side" by Bob Dylan for the last 15 minutes or so trying to figure out magic that could go along with it. It is extremely difficult. There's a chance (an extremely small chance) that I might take this challenge, simply because Bob Dylan is awesome.

Most videos with music are usually totally out-of-synch with the music, and have totally unrelated lyrics. That's the biggest challenge right there, having magic that actually relates.

Sep 1, 2007
Most videos with music are usually totally out-of-synch with the music, and have totally unrelated lyrics. That's the biggest challenge right there, having magic that actually relates.

That's the main reason I brought up Peter Gabriel. When music videos were first getting started, most musicians hated the idea. Peter endeavored to bridge the gap between experimental film and music and his music videos are still incredible 20 years later. Sledgehammer is still the music video by which all others are judged.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
IF done correctly this could be very powerful and move towards awareness in both subject matter and art form of magic. I consider myself pretty talented in presentation but I'm not jumping up and down and waving my hand in the air for this right of the bat.
..I fully support the idea of letting the theater of magic and mentalism cross with other media to create new and interesting presentations.
...We haven't done anything to make them believe that the magic community is capable of true artistic expression.
I know many wont agree with you on this because of the sensitivity involved but I do. It’s also risky. So of course I'm intrigued. The reason I don’t jump at it is because for me this style wound definitely be unchartered grounds which pushes my boundaries, which is good but much pondering over more bourbon will be required. This is not to be taken lightly, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a worthy idea.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Hmm. Steerpike, do you think you could not post this kind of thing any more? Just stick with posting "which should I buy?" threads in future. You're making me think too much.

I won't do this as a battle, but I may definitely have a go making a video. I have a deep love for theatre, and see no reason why magic can't or shouldn't achieve the same things. It just worries me slightly that it took this thread to realise this. When I read it, it was like something clicked I'm starting to get some ideas already. Thanks for posting this, you have officially Got Me Thinking now.

Sep 1, 2007
I know many wont agree with you on this because of the sensitivity involved but I do. It’s also risky.

Risk and reward and all the jazz.

I have a deep love for theatre, and see no reason why magic can't or shouldn't achieve the same things. It just worries me slightly that it took this thread to realise this.

Sometimes we all need a good kick in the teeth to make us see what you'd think would be obvious.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I just wanted to say that I don't even know how I would approach this challenge.

I won't be taking it, but will definitely use the next 4 hours of work to think about it. I hate having no work to do...so bored.

:)

-Rik

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results