The Lefty Deck - first "left handed" deck produced by USPCC

I don't like this deck, for personal prefrences.
Because when I thumb fan in my left hand, because I'm left handed, all the Pips and numerals show up. Because the pips are facing LEFT on the card. I think a standard deck is more lefty then this. That should be the righty deck. Now all righties can thumb fan in their right hand!
Yay for righty deck.

KevinReylek

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
NY
www.newyorkmagicproject.com
Hey Ozzy. Sounds like you actually fan as a Righty. Of course, whichever hand you use, normal decks need to be fanned from left-to-right. The Lefty Deck is the opposite.

Generally, Righties hold the deck in their left hand, and fan the cards from left-to-right. The primary instinct for Lefties is usually to hold the deck in the right hand, and fan from right-to-left, resulting in a blank fan when using normal cards.

You can make any deck show as a normal or blank fan in either hand, depending on which way you fan it.

This is just another option in the tool box. I got used to fanning in a variety of one and two-handed ways with normal cards, but am finding that I have to "retrain" myself a little bit to do everything with the Lefty Deck.

For me, while I do most things as a Lefty, I learned to do in-the-hands spreads as a righty, because of the pip placement.

For manipulators especially, this can be a good tool to train your less-dominant hand, and to master every possible way of fanning and spreading.

Not to mention the variety of possibilities that can be achieved when mixing normal and Lefty cards (even putting a single "stranger card" into a deck...)

Jun 22, 2009
Has any one submitted an order for the free cards from this site? I just did and think its awesome.

KevinReylek

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
NY
Thanks Kontents. The response to the freebie giveaway has been awesome. As far as I know, this is the first time something like this has been offered for a custom deck.

Of course, we could only set aside so many for the promo, and they're being claimed quickly, so I'd say people should act fast if they want to snag one.

Jul 9, 2008
likes...unlikes...

well i can agree with somepeople about this deck and its gaff abilities. as soon as i saw the decks picture, my brain started snowballing with ideas. i cant seem to get the fan down with my right hand and this would eliminate the problem. so i can do the no pip or white out deck trick without that slight. also there was someone who said they learned the slights in the left hand as a lefty, which everyone should be doing anyway which is learning slights in both hands. read some old books by old magicians and they will tell you that. but the price is to high. i would go with 4-5 bucks on it tops. just stop thinking like a magician for a second cuz you tend to throw common sense out the window when you do and try to get to the core of spectating....BEING AMAZED. when you do that you will open new doors and learn to appreciate the art more. kinda got side tracked...sorry.

LATERZ

Dec 1, 2008
Did anyone here win any of the preorder prizes? I got my cards today but didn't win anything. Just curious who won.

KevinReylek

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
NY
Glad you guys are liking the decks.

For price, you can go back earlier in the thread for some elaboration on why it's priced as it is. That said, I can think of a solid handful of custom Bicycle decks off the top of my head that sell for $7 or more per deck, and they don't offer the possibilities for new effects that the Lefty deck does. There are some cool new tricks that can only be done by combining a normal deck with a Lefty Deck.

On the promo end, we had 45 preorder prizes that went out. I don't know who from T11 won any, since I don't know most people's real name/user name/e-mail combo, but I certainly hope that some of you guys won some stuff. Would love to hear from those that did.

We just added Lefty one-way forcing decks to the store if anyone needs one of those to match their normal Lefty Decks.

We also just hit our one-year anniversary on Friday, and to celebrate are giving away a Lefty Deck with the purchase of any DVD.

And of course, we still have the free four-of-a-kind packets as well.

Hey Ozzy. Sounds like you actually fan as a Righty. Of course, whichever hand you use, normal decks need to be fanned from left-to-right. The Lefty Deck is the opposite.

Generally, Righties hold the deck in their left hand, and fan the cards from left-to-right. The primary instinct for Lefties is usually to hold the deck in the right hand, and fan from right-to-left, resulting in a blank fan when using normal cards.

You can make any deck show as a normal or blank fan in either hand, depending on which way you fan it.

This is just another option in the tool box. I got used to fanning in a variety of one and two-handed ways with normal cards, but am finding that I have to "retrain" myself a little bit to do everything with the Lefty Deck.

For me, while I do most things as a Lefty, I learned to do in-the-hands spreads as a righty, because of the pip placement.

For manipulators especially, this can be a good tool to train your less-dominant hand, and to master every possible way of fanning and spreading.

Not to mention the variety of possibilities that can be achieved when mixing normal and Lefty cards (even putting a single "stranger card" into a deck...)
It's easier for me to hold the deck in my left hand as it is a bit longer and stronger, better to support the deck. It seems the right hand is doing less in the fan so, isn't it easier for us to fan that way? I've always been that way, when flourishing I tend to hold the non-moving packets in my left, and the moving one is my non dominient.
I guess I'm one biggo freako.

Only possibilities that I can come up with are of course some sort of gaff trick. I don't see any use in these as a regular deck of cards to be honest since I can't think of any problems a left handed person would have with a deck since it's literally just a rectangle.

I like many other right handed people do several cuts and flourishes dominated by the left hand since that was the way I was taught. I had some old books and videos that always showed the left hand being dominant in many positions, even though the teacher him/herself was right handed.

Sep 9, 2007
just got my order and it turns out I won 2 DVDs! Awesome!

The cards are awesome too! doing a regular fan, I noticed the deck looked blank. That gives me a few ideas....

Also, the mirror ace gaff included is awesome. I have a few ideas for that alone.

overall, this is WIN!

Also get AM/PM I skimmed the performances and love "Arson". Going to learn it right now...

Sep 1, 2007
mastic, ny
I got my promo cards in the mail today. i got all four 7's and I have to say these cards and pretty cool looking. Can't wait to use these as gaffs for an effect

-Sean

KevinReylek

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
NY
Cool, glad you guys are liking the cards you received. Also glad to hear that at least one T11 guy one a prize! Anyone else out there?

Phrozunsun - Would love to hear a full review of the deck or either DVD if you happen to get a chance.

And for those who aren't sure of what to do with the deck, please take advantage of the four-of-a-kind promo. Once you get a couple of the cards in your hands, I think you'll be surprised at some of the ideas that come to you.

Aug 11, 2009
I've been looking forward to this, as I'm a lefty. I've learned most of my sleights left handed, and it would make things so much easier in having this deck, mainly for fan and card presentation. Most of the time in presenting a card, the pip to the spectator is on the bottom right and upside down, and my fans are blank. Its a great help.

Aug 2, 2009
Shrewsbury, UK
Im right handed but i play cards with them fanned out that way so it would be some benefit i suppose. However here in the UK, if you buy a pack of cards theres around a 30% chance its like that anyway, they just don't seem to mention it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results