The ZLog - My Web Series

Aug 31, 2007
Zach...

Doesn´t matter if you recorded 8 hours or a zillion gigas....the final product is what matters..as William said in a post...the audience doesn´t care...

also I am dissapointed about the " whipped cream" I know you like to say to each it´s own, but in this case you said the video will be great at that´s why you were taking more time to do it...not everybody shares your sense of humor...

I do have a recommendation...

as you maybe could see, I started a series of journals about my magician´s life...I must confess to you that I wanted to do a Vlog, but to be honest I decided to not do it, because I wanted to be consistent about my intentions...with this I mean that making a video each week is very hard and I really don´t have time to do it, so I decided to write it...which I think is more plausible in the way that is more easy, but my message is clear...

don´t push yourself too hard..I know you have all that equipment and that expensive stuff...but if you push yourself very hard, that 1´000 dollars camera won´t matter...since you will be rushing and delivering videos like the "whipped cream" one just to accomplish the deadline...they look good and the edition is great...but that doesn´t matter if the message is not clear or just is to weird to appreciate...

Luis,

In all seriousness, I in no way felt that my video "Pondering Life" was "rushed", nor did I make it simply to accomplish a deadline. I worked extremely hard on the video with the lighting, composition, and editing - and I am very proud of how it turned out, and have showed it to numerous people who shared my enthusiasm. It really comes down to your personal taste, and sense of humor. However, no matter if you dislike it, I feel it should be "appreciated" with the same spirit as any other video I put out.

I think in saying that the audience doesn't care is a somewhat silly statement. You may not care, but one cannot judge the entire audience of my videos on a few viewers' opinions. My aim is to make people enjoy my videos, and I make my videos in the mindset for what I enjoy. I make videos I would watch myself, in the hopes that others will enjoy them as I do. Though you do not share the same opinions (which I completely understand, I have an odd sense of humor), there is no reason to tell me what I should, and should not do. I do not plan on changing myself, or my videos, to a certain viewers' liking or taste.

Also, when I mentioned the reason for the delay, I think you misunderstood. You say that after all the delay, I haven't delivered. However, the majority of all that filming is for a project that hasn't even been posted yet. Sit tight my friend ;)

With my videos, you're getting me. If that's not your cup of tea, it's fine with me. Just let it be. *WOAHHHH RHYMING ANECDOTE ALERT*

Thanks,

~Zach

Jul 10, 2010
McAllen, TX
www.wix.com
Luis,

In all seriousness, I in no way felt that my video "Pondering Life" was "rushed", nor did I make it simply to accomplish a deadline. I worked extremely hard on the video with the lighting, composition, and editing - and I am very proud of how it turned out, and have showed it to numerous people who shared my enthusiasm. It really comes down to your personal taste, and sense of humor. However, no matter if you dislike it, I feel it should be "appreciated" with the same spirit as any other video I put out.

I think in saying that the audience doesn't care is a somewhat silly statement. You may not care, but one cannot judge the entire audience of my videos on a few viewers' opinions. My aim is to make people enjoy my videos, and I make my videos in the mindset for what I enjoy. I make videos I would watch myself, in the hopes that others will enjoy them as I do. Though you do not share the same opinions (which I completely understand, I have an odd sense of humor), there is no reason to tell me what I should, and should not do. I do not plan on changing myself, or my videos, to a certain viewers' liking or taste.

Also, when I mentioned the reason for the delay, I think you misunderstood. You say that after all the delay, I haven't delivered. However, the majority of all that filming is for a project that hasn't even been posted yet. Sit tight my friend ;)

With my videos, your getting me. If that's not your cup of tea, it's fine with me. Just let it be. *WOAHHHH RHYMING ANECDOTE ALERT*

Thanks,

~Zach

Just to chime in, what he means by "The Audiences doesn't care" is that it doesn't matter if you can't make a deadline, the audience doesn't want to hear it. They expect a really cool video as they were told on a certain date. They don't want to hear excuses. He isn't questioning how good your videos look or are. I couldn't care less either way in this little debacle . I am just clarifying his statement.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Just to chime in, what he means by "The Audiences doesn't care" is that it doesn't matter if you can't make a deadline, the audience doesn't want to hear it. They expect a really cool video as they were told on a certain date. They don't want to hear excuses. He isn't questioning how good your videos look or are. I couldn't care less either way in this little debacle . I am just clarifying his statement.

well I couldn´t have say it better...

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Owwww snap! guys leave something for me!

In all seriousness I think some of you crossed the line a little tiny bit, the guy is all happy sharing his videos and suddenly poof! the ownage began.

I haven't seen them, but they can't be that bad, are they?

However, no matter if you dislike it, I feel it should be "appreciated" with the same spirit as any other video I put out

Why?

My aim is to make people enjoy my videos, and I make my videos in the mindset for what I enjoy. I make videos I would watch myself, in the hopes that others will enjoy them as I do. Though you do not share the same opinions (which I completely understand, I have an odd sense of humor), there is no reason to tell me what I should, and should not do.

This is what I actually have a problem with, if this is your mentality you can kiss good bye magic for all that matters because it is not for you. Do you apply this mentality to magic too? Do you don't care what do your audiences enjoy? That's just selfish.

I do not plan on changing myself, or my videos, to a certain viewers' liking or taste.

Wich BTW, is the grand majority in this forums... should I remember you about this video?

EPIC FAIL

Sorry for my attitude there, but you are taking an attitude of "screw you guys, I'll do whatever I want because I think it's funny"

If you enjoy your videos, and if you don't care if we tell you that they are not funny, and if you still post them witouth caring if we do "appreciate them" or "enjoy them" then the answer is simple:

DON'T POST THEM HERE.

Simple as that.

P.S Don't start hyping your own stuff again, you started hyping this and look what happened. For your own sake.

Take care and I hope you improve here :)

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

An important quote for everyone to remember, as anyone in the creative industry will find it applicable at one point or another in their life. I refer to it often. I'm not comparing Zach to Theodore Roosevelt, as I find Theodore far more attractive due to his super sexy monocle.

The vid Zach posted is in no way magic related, but I will gladly be the first to admit that after a long day of work, for whatever it's worth, it certainly made me smile (and crave whipped cream like woah). So if that was the goal - mission absolutely accomplished.

Regarding the tutorial, that is unfortunate if it is a case of independent yet duplicate innovation. But it happens. No sweat. Keep with it and continue to create. To everyone else - let's be positive. We're in this community together to PROMOTE creativity and expression, and there's nothing wrong with having a good time in that process.

All my best,

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Luis,

With my videos, you're getting me. If that's not your cup of tea, it's fine with me. Just let it be. *WOAHHHH RHYMING ANECDOTE ALERT*

Thanks,

~Zach

you got it all wrong man...read Zach Eckstein reply...

and well...I am not saying that you should change and what you should do..I am just saying that you shouldn´t push yourself to hard...and I was suggesting...

other thing...I know you say we all should appreciate a video as any other video you put out....well Waterworld was a 600 million movie and it was made with the best of intentions...but it was a fail...get what I am saying? not everybody is going to be so entusiasthic about your videos, if you expect only good responses, then you are in the wrong place...

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

I agree, but I think it is a bad quote used in this matter.

He (in my opinion) it's talking about his own personal struggles, his own desires to conquer his dreams, or reach out and accomplish his own goals.... And about we should turn a blind eye to all those who try to critique us that actually doesn't know or feel what we are being through.

Here, we are talking about Zach, who right now is releasing material with the goal (I don't actually know it) of either enterteining us, or sharing stuff with us and what not. If that is his objective, then I think that he should need a little change in his mindset.

That's why I think there is a diference between your quote and this particular case. :)

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I agree, but I think it is a bad quote used in this matter.

He (in my opinion) it's talking about his own personal struggles, his own desires to conquer his dreams, or reach out and accomplish his own goals.... And about we should turn a blind eye to all those who try to critique us that actually doesn't know or feel what we are being through.

Here, we are talking about Zach, who right now is releasing material with the goal (I don't actually know it) of either enterteining us, or sharing stuff with us and what not. If that is his objective, then I think that he should need a little change in his mindset.

That's why I think there is a diference between your quote and this particular case. :)

Hmmm... the man in the arena is the one who puts themselves out there. That dares to fight. That takes a chance. That creates. That acts. I am far from the first to relate the quote to a creative context. Nevertheless, you are absolutely correct that vision is subjective and there exist as many opinions as there do people: billions. Every one of which, in a creative context, is valid. That said, in a world where we are battling wars, an oil leak, and Justin Bieber, I don't think a video inhaling whipped cream deserves anything but a smile. Justin Bieber, on the other hand...

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hmmm... the man in the arena is the one who puts themselves out there. That dares to fight. That takes a chance. That creates. That acts. I am far from the first to relate the quote to a creative context. Nevertheless, you are absolutely correct that vision is subjective and there exist as many opinions as there do people: billions. Every one of which, in a creative context, is valid. That said, in a world where we are battling wars, an oil leak, and Justin Bieber, I don't think a video inhaling whipped cream deserves anything but a smile. Justin Bieber, on the other hand...

...deserves to get his ass-kicked!

I can´t believe he didn´t know the meaning of the word "german"

to be honest..when I put myself out there..I expect to get some compliments...and some punches in the face...he should know that...

Sep 1, 2007
I don't post here a lot anymore, but this grinded my gears. what is with this elitist bull sh!t? I don't care about the whip cream thing, its the fact that you haven't removed the tutorial. Your argument is that you created it independently...ok? If I "created" lets say...bullet by andrei jikh, independently, and posted a tutorial, it would be ok? The tutorial is incredibly unoriginal, what gives you the right to post it? When you create something thats already been done, that doesn't make it yours, and it certainly doesn't mean you can post a tutorial. what a joke.

Aug 31, 2007
I just wanted to say thank you all - all seriousness. I appreciate the criticism, which can only help one grow. Any input I can get will help evolve my projects further, so I thank you all for that.

In the meantime, I will be editing. New ZLog, ZTorial (hopefully fully original this time XD) and the previously mentioned project will all be up soon.

Thanks again guys!

~Zach

Sep 1, 2007
don't ignore my post like a ****, I brought up a perfectly vaild point, that should be addressed.

EDIT- I cannot believe the word **** is banned...since you can't see it, it rhymes with swat...

Jul 10, 2010
I think the reason zac's response sounded offensive to some is because Zac might have been a little disappointed that after 8 hrs of work people began to bash him. That might of been the reason why his response came out a bit immature and angry, but I would to if my work got criticized that harshly. I believe that he truly was trying to make a high quality original video. Maybe he should edit the video so it also give oliver credit.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Zach,

Although I don't have the same sense of humor as you, I did find the quality of the footage, lighting, and editing to be very professional. Great job. You are not going to make everyone happy here, nor anywhere else in the world. Do what makes you happy and motivates you to be creative.

Did I like the whip cream video? No, because to me it is the type of material I expect to come from someone of your age / demographic and I no longer fit that age group. I could see how other viewers did enjoy it.

I think you over hyped yourself a bit and then hit everyone up with the first video being a whip cream video and then the criticizing started. Everyone thought you were going to actually take something serious but then it goes back to you being funny.

The tutorial video I thought was top notch and would be easy for anyone to learn from. Glad that you now know that it wasn't original and you will learn from this.
Not a big deal.

I wish you the best of luck on your projects and hope you enjoy this process of creating. Good luck man. Look forward to seeing some of your future works...just not the bizarre humor side...ha ha.

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
I promised myself that I wouldn't get involved but look what we've come to. . .

I have only had the pleasure of meeting Zach a few times at the magic castle where he performs.

Cut him some slack guys. Goodness, is everyone out to get each other, so what if the Ztorial wasn't original for the first run, is anything someone makes up original anymore???

Good job Zach, keep on truckin' and I admire you very much for your responses. They were not rude or immature whatsoever. You thanked people for the criticism because you said it would help you grow. That is completely true however people still put you down. Why?

Someone even said that you should give up magic, I bet they aren't working on their routine for this years future stars week at the World Famous Magic Castle.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Someone even said that you should give up magic,

You are taking me out of context. Learn how to read.

I bet they aren't working on their routine for this years future stars week at the World Famous Magic Castle.

Yeah, BIG ACOMPLISHMENT. Not to be mean with zach, but I have seen him perform and while he is a OK performer I have seen quite a lot of guys here that definetly perform and entertein better and deserve the spot more than him.

He has money and connections. Enough to get into the magic castle.

(again, not meaning to offend anyone, just telling the things as I see them.)

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
While I agree with some things said here, I think we just need to lay off, and let Zach make his videos. He's not forcing you to watch them, if you don't like them, than just ignore them.

At least Zach said he's learning from all this, so hopefully his next videos will be better for you guys. It's a learning precess, give him some room to grow.

Sep 1, 2007
And still, my point has yet to be addressed...knowing this place its gonna get locked.

Flourishers reading this- Imagine you come up with a cut...pretty cool cut, you like doing it, and your proud to say you created it...you have put it in videos, people know you created it, it does you well...then zachmonky comes in a couple months later and posts a tutorial for the exact same cut...he created it independently, so he can post a tutorial right?

Magicians reading this- K, same scenario...lets say you come up with a color change or control, you use it a lot, its established in the community that the change belongs to you....yet zachmonky roles around a posts a tutorial on it...he created it independently, sure its a couple months later, but who cares, he didn't know.

If I made a thread of myself eating friggin whip cream, it'd get locked and forgotten...if I made a tutorial of something thats already been done, it would be removed or bashed...now I remember why I left this place

Oct 9, 2008
Gardena,CA
all im gonna say is i made this about 242 days ago http://twitpic.com/q1b35 and the variation came a while after so if oliver or whatever his name is made it before that then ok but still a display is just like anything in magic people come up with the same ideas and tricks and don't know until someone addresses it but it is original to me and were going to keep the video up that is all

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results