theory11.bulletin ✯ An Open Call for Cardistry in NYC

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Earlier this past week I received a call from a very respected, high-end production company in NYC. They're looking to find a cardistry / flourishing artist in the NYC area available for a shoot this coming week. Originally, Andrei Jikh was going to do the spot - but due to schedule restrictions, we need you to fill in and show your skills.

Think you have what it takes? Contact us right now by emailing cardistrynyc@theory11.com with your full name, email address, phone number, and a video of you in action. Submissions will be forwarded to the production company for review / follow-up at their discretion. If selected, you must be willing and able to be in NYC this Monday for the shoot in their Manhattan studio.

This is a HUGE opportunity to highlight your skills and cardistry itself - on a shoot by a renowned studio in true High Definition. Who's up for the task?!

Aug 31, 2007
Yo JB sponsor me a flight and i'll do it! :p

anyway, RTing it right now.

Good luck guys!

D

Deleted member 2755

That... is..... awesome! I wish I had the skills for this since I'm just a quick bus ride into NYC. Sadly none of the material I'd be able to do is original. I also don't think I have enough material. I have a feeling there are more talented card guys than me in the area, so I will.... reluctantly..... pass on this.

-Doug

Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Sounds like a golden opportunity. JB, maybe you'd get more hits if you sent out a text message through the news thing for the people who are signed up?

D

Deleted member 2755

Actually..... Why the heck pass up this opportunity? I will get my camera set up in a few minutes.

-Doug

D

Deleted member 2755

Wow. Third post in this thread. I'm on a spam roll.

Well I got all my stuff set up, but then decided against it. I wouldn't feel right using material that wasn't my own. Sadly, I will pass on this.

-Doug

Jul 23, 2007
New York, NY
For commercial work, you don't need your own material -- you just need to do what they want you to do, and good. Remember the Nokia Blackjack commercial? Well, it was a 3D pair of hands, but look at the tricks. A tornado, butterfly cut, five faces of sybil, a thumb fan. The reference footage they used was of people performing other people's material.

Point being, it doesn't really matter. Try to film some moves you think they would actually want to use in the commercial. Give 'em simple, give 'em complex, stuff that you could imagine in a commercial. That's just my opinion.

It's not a commercial for you or your originality. It's a commercial for their product/service.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
while i live a little too far away for this i just wanted to say thank you to JB and the T11 staff for posting this, it really shows their dedication to this community with them trying to hook up their members. They really are looking out for the community and this is a really cool opportunity and i wish it was a little closer haha.

D

Deleted member 2755

For commercial work, you don't need your own material -- you just need to do what they want you to do, and good. Remember the Nokia Blackjack commercial? Well, it was a 3D pair of hands, but look at the tricks. A tornado, butterfly cut, five faces of sybil, a thumb fan. The reference footage they used was of people performing other people's material.

Point being, it doesn't really matter. Try to film some moves you think they would actually want to use in the commercial. Give 'em simple, give 'em complex, stuff that you could imagine in a commercial. That's just my opinion.

It's not a commercial for you or your originality. It's a commercial for their product/service.

To be honest, I was hoping for some sort of encouragement. :) I will do this then.

I was just thinking about the original artists though. If I came up with a move, and I saw someone else using it on television, no matter what the purpose was for, I would probably get angry if I was not asked for permission.

-Doug

Jan 9, 2009
Yeah Doug, you can mail the relevent people!

I'm sure there'd be no objection, it's all publicity!

-Dave

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Dudes. I'm only going to say this once. If you know how to fan a deck of cards, and live in the area... DON'T let this opportunity pass. Usually, you have to work for your opportunities. This one has just woken you up with a slap to the face. Don't let that go.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results