Theory11, Ellusionist or Penguin magic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2009
T11, Ellusionist or Penguin magic? Which one is the most worthy when it comes to cost?
Just want to see if you all have the same point of view.

Feb 28, 2008
What do you mean by worthy?

Personally, Penguin, while cheap, isn't the best thing for magic. T11 and even E are more like online Brick and Mortar shops trying to do good things with magic while Penguin really is like a Wal-mart for Magic.

I agree with the previous post. There are places that sell a limited amount of magic and try to improve on what magic is and stands for or maybe a separate goal of their own.

However penguinmagic is pretty much crap except for a few effects that are exclusive to them. Mjmmagic.com is much better, and have great discounts for nearly all effects and a great variety.

May 3, 2008
Well I don't have any magic shops in my area so that's how I see penguin magic for me. I kind of like it. Sure it doesn't have the greatest effects but if you ever want a certain trick deck or want to check out a book it'll probably have it. Ellusionist and Theory 11 are a lot more exclusive with their tricks to make sure it's all top notch.

I like all of them in their own way.

Jan 10, 2008
I love Theory 11 to death, but I would also recommend checking out www.vanishingincmagic.com The company is owned by Joshua Jay and Andi Gladwin and i'm sure other forum members here can testify to the quality of the site.

Sincerely,
David Martin

It really depends on what you want... If it's variety I'd suggest penguin, but do your research on the trick you might be purchasing because it may be cheap, but cheap for a reason. Some stuff on there is not for all magicians. They seem to use a lot of gimmicks. You could check out elmwoodmagic.com I was a little hesitant because they are not a magic dealer you hear a lot about often, but they have been good and reliable to me. One more thing, if it's written stuff your looking for check out http://lybrary.com/ that's a good site for not so well artists and some books you thought might be discontinued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
There are lots of various things you'll find interesting from each place. T11 and E obviously focus on their own products, which is perfectly fine - what I'm saying is, it just depends what you want. Don't limit yourself to anything, to any one anyone says is better, because if someone honestly says that T11 is better than E or that E is better than T11, chances are, they couldn't name two types of Swami's, so they don't know jack all. I mostly buy from MJMMagic, but every now again, Penguin has something MJM just doesn't have, etc. etc.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
I love Theory 11 to death, but I would also recommend checking out www.vanishingincmagic.com The company is owned by Joshua Jay and Andi Gladwin and i'm sure other forum members here can testify to the quality of the site.

Sincerely,
David Martin

I have to fully agree with this Vanishing Inc is amazing i recommend the site to anyone for any type of magic. along with what Prae said there are things specific sites do or do not have it should not be a competition between sites but of course you can have favourites :p

Tom

Jul 19, 2009
all three sites provide quality magic for great prices. i personally dont think one is better than the other.

-M.

ive never had problems with penguin. they are like a walmart of magic. this isnt a bad thing tho. but they have TONS of material. lots of books!! very important books too! they also have some things that are sold at t11 and ellusionist.

Dec 26, 2007
Penguin- Great prices, great selection, great service. The first trick I ever bought was from penguin magic and it came with something free. I remember how happy I was with that whole experience. I hear that sometimes they will throw in a free candy bar unannounced, weird huh?

Ellusionist is the king when it comes to bringing people into magic. A lot of us producers can thank Ellusionist for kinda keeping the magic business still in business because they bring in so many new faces. Plus Brad is a really nice guy to work with.

Theory11 is in my opinion a really hip specialty shop, they have great material and the forum on this site is by far the best.

Personally, I'm kind of a brick and mortar guy myself. BTW I dont think it's fair to call penguin a walmart of magic. Penguin has ethics and they are not about driving people out of business like walmart

Dec 16, 2008
Pinguine is good place to shop, TONS of products-gimmicks >> a real magic store online. It's Wal-mart. Down-side: too many to find a great stuffs without hurting your wallet.
Ellusionist, good place to start magic/xcm through DVDs, from card, coin to PK magic. Some of their products like gaff decks or XCM dvds rock! The cards are awesome too. The down-side is a number of their DVDs are remix from old tricks and cost much for beginners to purchase.
Theory11, hmm, let see 1on1 is perfect. I also bought most of its DVDs too but I don't know, they are highly quality produce but damn, a few live performance contained. Cards are good but limited quanity(?) I like Guardian or Centurion but Propaganda is bull-****, ugly like hell.

Dec 26, 2007
I always hear people say that Ellusionist effects are rehash of old effects. Besides the How To Do Street Magic DVD I would like to see an example of an effect they have relabeled as their own.

Mar 18, 2009
I always hear people say that Ellusionist effects are rehash of old effects. Besides the How To Do Street Magic DVD I would like to see an example of an effect they have relabeled as their own.

yeah i agree with this... because i used to buy from E all the time and in all the time i spent there i haven't found one thing that they sell that is relabled as their own... the only exception is the How to do Street Magic DVD because well, that is kind of the point of the DVD. they are teaching you basics, and basic effects.

as to my preference between Penguin, ELlusionist, and theory 11... well i personally like theory 11 the best, but they are vary limited in what they sell, they only sell products of their own... pretty much. but customer service and quality is fantastic. Ellusionist has more of the "big" effects and they have a better seleection of types of magic and different gimmicks. Penguin, has a HUGE selection of various things from books to gimmicks... so basically what im trying to say is that they are all very good for the products that they sell.

peace.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Each freaking website has its own use. There is no better.
You buy what you have to buy and thats it.Theory11 cant sell me loops. Ellusionist cant sell me 1-on-1's.And penguin has an overload of stuff that I could possibly use for any effect I desire.
EVERY website has something that I would want or need.

Dec 26, 2007
Seriously I want an example of where E has taken an old trick and resold it as a new effect. I hear that accusation all the time and I dont believe it's fair to them or their creators.

Jul 13, 2009
I really do not shop at any of these shops much t11 and E are kind of the specialty meccas ie cards.
Penguin has a great selection love their of the site product selection thing.

But I really do my shopping at Hocus-Pocus magic shop. They have great prices and discounts on effects. Plus their shipping can't be beat, I ordered something on wednesday and it arrived in my mail box promptly on Friday.

Dec 16, 2008

Bullet, Infusion, Mercury Aces or even Autograph by JM, are remix from old tricks :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results