Theory11 - Nearly One Year Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theory11 is a great site.

But its all alot of hype.

I can see it going along the way of 'Quantity over Quality'

Originally I enjoyed the aspect of having the Artists post frequently in the site, and be available to help.

Since the launch though the only artist I have had a good experiance with is Lee Asher. He is the only one to actually take the time to reply and help out.

Katie is also always really friendly, as is Bryant. Same with Chris infact, he was very friendly when I have contacted him.

J.Bayme (In some cases btw, originally Bayme was very helpful), JonRaiker & Wayne Houchin though have been the complete opposite though sadly.

Im sure they are busy, and recieve alot of messages/emails/comments from alot of people including some probably very silly emails which really shouldnt be directed to them. But when people email them about consideraly 'more important' subjects a reply would at least be nice.

I know I contacted Wayne via PM & Email (Through his website) at least 6 months ago and I am still waiting on a reply lol...

Its the little things which were great at the start, which I have noticed have been perhaps slowing down a bit lately.

Control, Believe, Dangerous & Digital Dissolve have all been brilliant products. The rest have been fairly good, but I think the hype exceeds the quality.

By all means dont take that the long way in saying they are bad products, I was just hoping for something a little more revolutionary.

The 'Underground' part is also a bit of a joke. People seem to always target Ellusionist for this especially with things like 'Celebracadabra' but I dont see Theory11 being exceptionally better in this area. I would have loved the site to keep a little more 'Underground' so to speak. Word would get out between Magicians as to how great it is, and we would have an even better community I think. But, its a business and they want to sell as much as possible, to who ever possible.

I dont want to sound too negative, as obviously im posting here, have a fairly big post count and am here often, it cant be too bad! But there are just a few little things I personally feel could be done a bit better.

I know though if the opportunity ever arises and I feel the need to, this is where I would launch one of my effects.

By the way, I hope no one (Specifically the Artists) take any offence to any of the above.

I look forward to seeing their input in this discussion. Lets keep it constructive guys.

Matty

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Whenever people question Theory 11 being the next theory of the 10 theories of magic, they keep saying "what makes it the next theory?" or "perhaps it's community" or something.. Basically what they're saying is Theory number 11 is Theory 11; on the list, it would appear as

11. Theory 11

"Theory 11" being a name, not a description or representative of the 11th theory, it IS the 11th theory.

It's basically saying, there are 10 essentials of magic, ie. you need these to perform magic. By adding Theory 11 to the list, they're saying that this website is an essential of magic.

Got it?

Jan 27, 2008
Whenever people question Theory 11 being the next theory of the 10 theories of magic, they keep saying "what makes it the next theory?" or "perhaps it's community" or something.. Basically what they're saying is Theory number 11 is Theory 11; on the list, it would appear as

11. Theory 11

"Theory 11" being a name, not a description or representative of the 11th theory, it IS the 11th theory.

It's basically saying, there are 10 essentials of magic, ie. you need these to perform magic. By adding Theory 11 to the list, they're saying that this website is an essential of magic.

Got it?
But that's not true at all. I know some people who are amazing that never come on here. They seem to be doing fine.
What is essential about this site for your magic? Sure, some amazing artists are on here. But what do those artists contribute? Well, to this site, not a lot. I mean, the artists don't seem to be representing their company that much; just because the artists are good doesn't mean the company is that good. You never see someone like Dana come on the forums here. And I'm sure it's because he's busy and got better things to do; and I cannot blame him. But seriously, what does that say about theory11? So what, they have Dana, so what, they have Dan and Dave, so what, they have Lee Asher. But these artists don't do anything for the site but release a 1on1 every once in a while. And mabey make a post on some forum every once in a while.
I don't even get why some of the members, as phenomenal as they are, are even on the members list here.

To me, it would be the same if I started a very crappy computer company but since I'm friends with Bill Gates, and I've known him for a while, I invite him to be one of the head members of the company; who doesn't really have that much to do with it, but he tags along anyways because we're friends. So in the end what do I have? Well.... what I just said. A crappy computer company with someone good's name on it. Is my cpu company good?
Well, it's been hyped up so much with commercial's saying how different it is from every other cpu creator out there. And since so many people are sucked into this, VERY, very few times, does a customer ever stop and say or even think, 'Hey guys... mabey this isn't that good after all.' VERY few times do people bite the hand that feeds.
-Sean Fast

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
But that's not true at all. I know some people who are amazing that never come on here. They seem to be doing fine.
What is essential about this site for your magic? Sure, some amazing artists are on here. But what do those artists contribute? Well, to this site, not a lot. I mean, the artists don't seem to be representing their company that much; just because the artists are good doesn't mean the company is that good. You never see someone like Dana come on the forums here. And I'm sure it's because he's busy and got better things to do; and I cannot blame him. But seriously, what does that say about theory11? So what, they have Dana, so what, they have Dan and Dave, so what, they have Lee Asher. But these artists don't do anything for the site but release a 1on1 every once in a while. And mabey make a post on some forum every once in a while.
I don't even get why some of the members, as phenomenal as they are, are even on the members list here.

To me, it would be the same if I started a very crappy computer company but since I'm friends with Bill Gates, and I've known him for a while, I invite him to be one of the head members of the company; who doesn't really have that much to do with it, but he tags along anyways because we're friends. So in the end what do I have? Well.... what I just said. A crappy computer company with someone good's name on it. Is my cpu company good?
Well, it's been hyped up so much with commercial's saying how different it is from every other cpu creator out there. And since so many people are sucked into this, VERY, very few times, does a customer ever stop and say or even think, 'Hey guys... mabey this isn't that good after all.' VERY few times do people bite the hand that feeds.
-Sean Fast

yeh yeh.. true but who said it was true? i've got one word for you..

MARKETING, just because someone says something in their adversitement, doesn't mean it's true.

do you think that the creators of Theory 11 HONESTLY think they are the 11th theory of magic?? of course not, it's just a tag line, not a promise.

"Theory 11" wasn't a result of a bunch of guys sitting around and suddenly they had an epiphany and found the long lost 11th theory of magic, it's just a tag line for marketing. It's exactly the same as anyone saying "the 8th wonder of the world".. Such a thing doesn't exist.. it doesn't mean anything, it's just a memorable phrase.

Jan 27, 2008
yeh yeh.. true but who said it was true? i've got one word for you..

MARKETING, just because someone says something in their adversitement, doesn't mean it's true.

do you think that the creators of Theory 11 HONESTLY think they are the 11th theory of magic?? of course not, it's just a tag line, not a promise.

"Theory 11" wasn't a result of a bunch of guys sitting around and suddenly they had an epiphany and found the long lost 11th theory of magic, it's just a tag line for marketing. It's exactly the same as anyone saying "the 8th wonder of the world".. Such a thing doesn't exist.. it doesn't mean anything, it's just a memorable phrase.
Truedat. But that's not exactly what they sounded like in the 'What is t11' video. They sounded like 'Hey everybody get your cards out because this is going to be REVOLUTIONARY omg!!'

That is truly what I got from it, and when I got here I still had that feeling.
And I remember a little while back, and almost to current day when there were forums ALL over decknique about 'theory11 is the new e'
And I would read these forums, and even defend theory11 quite a bit. I'd tell people the tricks on here are amazing, and the artists are amazing. And they are.
But then, when I entered the forums, I had an epiphany, which is basically my most recent post to this. And that's what I started to think.

The thing is, there's so much false 'nationalistic' esque. feelings (if I can call it that) towards this site from the members here. They would fight to the death to win the arguement that theory11 is not at all like ellusionist. Why? Because of video's of great magicians telling them what this site is and how it is different. And because of this they truly never get a chance to stop and think about what this is, deep down.
And what is it? A revolution in magic? I don't understand, how so? Recycled tricks in the 1on1 section, dvd's of redone tricks from the the 50's and 60's? And I know they said 'Were not building tricks we're building performers,' but that doesn't make sense to me. And it doesn't because we know how to perform. We know how it goes, and telling us the exact patter to use isn't helping anyone. All it does is allow us to be unoriginal; and even if these are merely suggestions, we'd be better off not even having an idea of what to do because everything would be so much more original. I'm not quite sure I get this here.
I mean, at least ellusionist sells the art of astonishment. What can theory11 say... they sell the Paper Engine? Totally out of control? I don't think so; they sell material like Witness, which has already been published with a different title in a cheaper place. They sell things like panic, which, despite it's originality, an unbearable amount of people that I really feel bad for will find out the method, if they're someone practical who allows the deck to be examined, will be dissapointed that they just wasted money. What else, torn and restored card, bill changes? Haven't we seen these things somewhere before?
-Sean Fast

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Truedat. But that's not exactly what they sounded like in the 'What is t11' video. They sounded like 'Hey everybody get your cards out because this is going to be REVOLUTIONARY omg!!'

this tells me one thing. Theory 11 has very good marketing because they did their job well. You honestly believed it was going to be a revolution (which is no insult to your intelligence or judgment), you've now associated yourself with this website which is exactly what they wanted to happen.

jeez, they should start selling cars on here, they'd make a killing.

Jan 27, 2008
this tells me one thing. Theory 11 has very good marketing because they did their job well. You honestly believed it was going to be a revolution (which is no insult to your intelligence or judgment), you've now associated yourself with this website which is exactly what they wanted to happen.

jeez, they should start selling cars on here, they'd make a killing.
I don't think Johnny or some other member of t11 who comes on here would exactly agree with that statement: that they lied so I would come here, and then it turned out to be a sham, this place sux mang!!

Of course I believed it to be a revolution, they told me it was, I saw some great artists back up what the message was... What was I supposed to think it was all a lie? Well, at least I know it is now.

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I don't think Johnny or some other member of t11 who comes on here would exactly agree with that statement: that they lied so I would come here, and then it turned out to be a sham, this place sux mang!!

Of course I believed it to be a revolution, they told me it was, I saw some great artists back up what the message was... What was I supposed to think it was all a lie? Well, at least I know it is now.

no.. no one said it was a lie.. I never said it was a lie. I'm not saying it's true, but I'm not saying it's a lie. It's completely subjective. if YOU think this website is not a revolution, then YOU think it's a lie. They only lied if you think they lied.

they haven't scammed anything from you, they haven't made any false promises (which is potentially arguable; depending on your view of the site), they've done what they said they were going to do.

they never specifically defined "revolutionary" exactly, you've just made your own definition of "revolutionary" in your own mind and if it hasn't lived up to your standards then you think it's not true. everyone would have a different definition of "revolutionary".

if a sofa company advertises a particular sofa as the most comfortable sofa in the world, you're not gonna feel ripped off and cheated because they 'lied to you' when you take that sofa home and find that it's good, but not the greatest.

just remember one thing - this is a business. every business will do what the can to sell products. this is a good website, they have not lied at all and manipulated your trust in order to rope you in, you've just made your own decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results