Those darn catchy previews!

Jan 20, 2012
Now don't get me wrong, I love the videos for the effects posted on theory 11, and the raw, edgy, cinematic format that is now all to popular is great...but.....what if you want to see the routine? Now I know that you could always try to find it on Youtube, but I think I speak for others when I say, administration...can we please have the trailers a little less edgy and a little more informative? Maybe try explaining more about the trick? What the routine is? Possibly less operatic music and more of the magician talking?

Jun 22, 2011
Chicago
Hey there!
So if I understood right, you think that theory11 should include routines with their products? If so, there is a reason that they aren't doing this. This website is all about making YOU a better performer. If they include pre-scripted routines, that means you don't have to create a routine yourself. That means you don't get to show the audience who you are. The main purpose is for the magic to fit YOU. Not for you to fit the magic. So my advice would be to work on your own routines that really bring out your personality. Hope this helps and good luck!

To play devils advocate though: Some effects are great stand alone ideas, but really are nothing more than just a puzzle or trick unless dressed up within the context of a good routine, or paired up against other magical effects or sleights. While nothing in particular comes to mind right away I know I've bought more than a few tricks only to say to myself "Is that all it is?" and then toss it into my trunk never to see the light of day again.

Sometimes it does help to see how the magic can be applied before you go running off to create your own variations.

Jun 1, 2009
To play devils advocate though: Some effects are great stand alone ideas, but really are nothing more than just a puzzle or trick unless dressed up within the context of a good routine, or paired up against other magical effects or sleights. While nothing in particular comes to mind right away I know I've bought more than a few tricks only to say to myself "Is that all it is?" and then toss it into my trunk never to see the light of day again.

Sometimes it does help to see how the magic can be applied before you go running off to create your own variations.

Agreed on every point. If I see an effect, I play out a few different presentations for it before I purchase it, just to make sure I'll be using it.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I think if it is something like Solo or cardistry than you don't really need to see full routines, however if it is an actual magic effect, I totally agree that the video should show a full presentation from beginning to end whether it be in the studio or in front of live spectators.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The other thing is that a lot of effects can often times be put out by guys who don't really think in the practical sense and are just selling a method that is nothing more than magical wankery.

Personally, I tend to pay less attention to the trailers now days and focus more on the idea IF I will actually enjoy performing said effect and actually use it.

Jun 1, 2009
I think if it is something like Solo or cardistry than you don't really need to see full routines, however if it is an actual magic effect, I totally agree that the video should show a full presentation from beginning to end whether it be in the studio or in front of live spectators.

The thing with this is that a method could be figured out if the whole effect is shown. The best magic is simple magic, and if something is fairly simple but still powerful enough to market (and doesn't use a gimmick) then some people would watch the trailer until the figure it out and then start performing it.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
True, but even so I will not purchase an effect unless I get to view the entire clip or I get to see the person demo it "live" right in front of me in a shop or at a dealer stand. I've been burned too many times. Any time I'm going to spend over $100 I need to be able to even hold and look at the said device / prop or I won't buy it. I know that is being a little over kill but it helps me from making big purchases that I will regret later.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I know the feeling of being burned. I felt the exact same way with David Stones Window. Seriously, the performance of the effect was pretty just the trailers, in fact it WAS the trailers for the effect, and most of the performances lasted around 3 min long. The effect was rather ho-hum and wasn't worth the 75 bucks it cost.

Jan 20, 2012
Thanks for the feedback guys, and regarding the first couple replies I didn't mean to come off like they need to sell a routine also, and im not talking about things like Pure Smoke etc. Im talking about actual effects that usually have a basic routine with them, i have noticed recently that after watching a trailer, I ask myself "Wait, what is the effect?"

Jun 1, 2009
Rick: I see where you are coming from, and price does play a big factor. I bought the disappearing deck (not Paul Harris's) from seeing it demo-ed in front of me and fooling the tar out of me. I bought it, played with it, and haven't used it since. Good thing it wasn't very expensive, but if it was more pricey I see where you are coming from.

Thanks for the feedback guys, and regarding the first couple replies I didn't mean to come off like they need to sell a routine also, and im not talking about things like Pure Smoke etc. Im talking about actual effects that usually have a basic routine with them, i have noticed recently that after watching a trailer, I ask myself "Wait, what is the effect?"

I know exactly what you mean haha. Justin Miller has "full" trailers on his website of his effects, but he edits out the main parts where moves take place, to show a more magical experience.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results