Thoughts on the Now You See Me films?

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I was wondering what everyone here thought of these films. I personally think they're fun summer flicks and I often compare them to National Treasure as they're similar in my mind. Not great films but entertaining nonetheless. The first one was interesting. Clever concept to have magicians use their skills to perform heists and stuff. However, the second one had way too many completely impossible effects and relied too heavily on the sort of instantaneous hypnosis for me to take it seriously. Also, two Woody Harrelsons is one too many for my taste. I also appreciate the little references to actual magic effects and terminology like how the mental hospital band Jesse Eisenberg's character slaps on the electrician in the second film says "Mike STOOGE" or something like that. It's also cool that Theory11 and real magicians were heavily involved with both films providing the Monarch cards and other advice.

By they way, this is kind of unrelated but I also often get asked by my spectators if I've seen these films. I usually say yes and explain that "magicians wish we were that cool".

I've also been asked if "the Eye" from the films is real. Sometimes I'll play along and be like "I can't talk about that" or just wink. But other times I'll give people a little information on the magic community and it's history explaining how there are real magician societies like the SAM and IBM with members like Houdini, David Copperfield, and even Neil Patrick Harris. Usually people find this pretty interesting as their initial question about the Eye is intended jokingly so they tend to be surprised when I explain there are very large and well know magic societies out there, just they don't rob banks.

So yeah, what do you think of these films? Do you like them? Hate them?

Also, do you often get asked about these movies when performing?

Thank You!

The first one wasn't bad. My only complaint was that none of the protagonists were particularly likable let alone relatable. But I guess they had to cut corners somewhere to make room for all those action scenes. Who needs to pay for good writers anyways?

The second one was utter shyte. I don't know why they needed magician consultants for that film when they clearly did everything with CGI.

As a magician, I thought it was nice to have a big budget film dedicated to our craft. So few films are out there that do that well, but from a writing/directing/story telling point of view they both were sub-par with the worse offending one being the sequel.

If you want to see a true love letter to our community then watch Burt Wonderstone. It's very cleverly written, and well researched.

To be honest, I don't get asked about those movies too much. I still get more Criss Angel/ David Blaine questions before movies. That or people asking me for my personal opinion on Val.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
I liked the first one well enough (wasn't great, wasn't terrible) but the second one was a snooze fest for me.

Magic films that I like are The Prestige, Burt Wonderstone, and the Houdini film by History channel (don't judge me, I know it's not historically accurate but I liked the presentation of the film). A film about magic that looks to be pretty good is Sleight. I'm excited to see that.

Mar 30, 2017
I thought both the first and second film were decent. A little complex for me at times. But, I do think that they really helped the magic community out as a whole. Anytime magic can get some airtime with a decent documentary or film, it helps the art. That's why I try and support these films as much as I can. I do think however that the main character came off as an arrogant individual at times. Which hopefully doesn't give people the impression that all magicians are like that.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
The first one wasn't bad. My only complaint was that none of the protagonists were particularly likable let alone relatable. But I guess they had to cut corners somewhere to make room for all those action scenes. Who needs to pay for good writers anyways?

The second one was utter shyte. I don't know why they needed magician consultants for that film when they clearly did everything with CGI.

As a magician, I thought it was nice to have a big budget film dedicated to our craft. So few films are out there that do that well, but from a writing/directing/story telling point of view they both were sub-par with the worse offending one being the sequel.

If you want to see a true love letter to our community then watch Burt Wonderstone. It's very cleverly written, and well researched.

To be honest, I don't get asked about those movies too much. I still get more Criss Angel/ David Blaine questions before movies. That or people asking me for my personal opinion on Val.
I agree. Also, I have always said that Burt Wonderstone is the best magician movie out there. It is by far the most accurate representation of magicians in my opinion. It's such a shame it was kinda forgotten. It's a great comedy and magic movie. I think it was overshadowed by Now You See Me as both movies came out around the same time.

I also totally forgot about people asking about the Masked Magician. I usually over exaggerate how much I "HATE" him and then say I'm joking and that I don't have too much of an issue with him.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I liked the first one well enough (wasn't great, wasn't terrible) but the second one was a snooze fest for me.

Magic films that I like are The Prestige, Burt Wonderstone, and the Houdini film by History channel (don't judge me, I know it's not historically accurate but I liked the presentation of the film). A film about magic that looks to be pretty good is Sleight. I'm excited to see that.
The Prestige is one of my favorite films, despite real magicians not being @$$holes like they are in that film. I also like the Houdini miniseries as well. Sure it's inaccurate but it's probably the most accurate dramatization of his life so far.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
For what they were worth, they are fun movies. Good cast. I liked the first one, but the second one felt a bit too 'grand'. If that makes any sense.

To be fair, I'm more of a documentary and informational watcher of things.
I like documentaries when it comes to real life things like magic or science. But I'm a huge movie fan as well. And I get what you're saying about NYSM. The second one seemed way too large scale for its own good. I don't know if that makes sense either but we are definitely both on the same page. I think. Honestly, the only scenes I particularly had fun with were the card scene, the first heist, and the plane at the end. Although I'm not a hypnotist, I know, to an extent, how it works. I feel like the whole mentalism/hypnosis thing was sort of a gimmick in the first film. Just to separate Harrelson's character as the sort of "psychic" magician. The second movie's plot relied waaaay too heavily on an extremely fictionalized hypnosis. I think the closest thing to an actual magic trick was the plane at the end. Anyway, I'm rambling.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I thought both the first and second film were decent. A little complex for me at times. But, I do think that they really helped the magic community out as a whole. Anytime magic can get some airtime with a decent documentary or film, it helps the art. That's why I try and support these films as much as I can. I do think however that the main character came off as an arrogant individual at times. Which hopefully doesn't give people the impression that all magicians are like that.
I don't like when movies make magicians seem egotistical where they are in it to feel smarter than their audience. Eisenberg's character gives off those vibes sometimes. Actually most of the time. I also agree with your first statement. I always go see new movies about magicians, regardless of the quality. Like you said, it can be good publicity. Also, anything magic related (along with superheroes) will attract me to a movie anyway.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I enjoyed the first movie for what it was - a heist movie. I barely remember anything about the second one. I'll have to watch it again some time.

While much of the hypnosis is dramatized, it's based on genuine techniques. Keith Barry was the consultant for that, I believe, and he is known for his instant hypnosis work.

I do think that movies that feature magic are good for the business. However, it's not necessarily a simple matter of magic on screen = good. Because Burt Wonderstone was a very accurate comedy regarding the current magic industry. Personally, I find that depressing.

That being said, I'm never asked about these movies and I'm almost never compared to another performer or movie. At least, not to my face. I don't actually know what most of my audience is thinking, but I do think I do a unique enough show that I am not specifically reminding people of other performers.

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
I enjoyed both films, however I saw them for what they were intended to be...entertainment.
I think if anyone felt "disrespected" by its portrayal of "magicians" should seek elsewhere for entertainment.
I don't imagine the NHL or any professional hockey league were up in arms over the 'Slapshot' movies. Maybe I'm wrong.
The NYSM movies were entertainment with a magic industry base. Without magic, it would have been an Ocean's Eleven knock off.
Just my two cents...Cheers!

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I enjoyed the first movie for what it was - a heist movie. I barely remember anything about the second one. I'll have to watch it again some time.

While much of the hypnosis is dramatized, it's based on genuine techniques. Keith Barry was the consultant for that, I believe, and he is known for his instant hypnosis work.

I do think that movies that feature magic are good for the business. However, it's not necessarily a simple matter of magic on screen = good. Because Burt Wonderstone was a very accurate comedy regarding the current magic industry. Personally, I find that depressing.

That being said, I'm never asked about these movies and I'm almost never compared to another performer or movie. At least, not to my face. I don't actually know what most of my audience is thinking, but I do think I do a unique enough show that I am not specifically reminding people of other performers.
I'm 17 so whoever I perform for that's around my age will compare me to every magician/movie they know. Also, I had no idea instant hypnosis was a thing. Also, now that I think about it, Burt Wonderstone is much more enjoyable and relatable as a magician. The more dramatized entertaining movies like Now You See Me are probably better for business because it makes magic and magicians seem cool.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I enjoyed both films, however I saw them for what they were intended to be...entertainment.
I think if anyone felt "disrespected" by its portrayal of "magicians" should seek elsewhere for entertainment.
I don't imagine the NHL or any professional hockey league were up in arms over the 'Slapshot' movies. Maybe I'm wrong.
The NYSM movies were entertainment with a magic industry base. Without magic, it would have been an Ocean's Eleven knock off.
Just my two cents...Cheers!
I really don't mind the more bad@$$ portrayals of magicians in films like NYSM. I actually like it a lot. Makes magicians seem less geeky, at least it does for me. I was more asking for other magician's opinions on the films, not so much the impact on the magic industry or the public. Just what do you think of it from the POV of a magician.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I really don't mind the more bad@$$ portrayals of magicians in films like NYSM. I actually like it a lot. Makes magicians seem less geeky, at least it does for me. I was more asking for other magician's opinions on the films, not so much the impact on the magic industry or the public. Just what do you think of it from the POV of a magician.

It's basically the same as going to any film with a niche market that you're familiar with.

At the Lego Movie, I was able to rifle out quite a few of the serial numbers to a lot of the bricks that they utilized during the opening sequence.

For NYSM, it's like 'Oh! They're using Monechs, they're doing X trick, etc'

In NYSM2. Thy featured some Tenyo tricks in the magic shop near the middle of the movie.

Magicians will be able to see more and notice 'nods' than laymen will

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
It's basically the same as going to any film with a niche market that you're familiar with.

At the Lego Movie, I was able to rifle out quite a few of the serial numbers to a lot of the bricks that they utilized during the opening sequence.

For NYSM, it's like 'Oh! They're using Monechs, they're doing X trick, etc'

In NYSM2. Thy featured some Tenyo tricks in the magic shop near the middle of the movie.

Magicians will be able to see more and notice 'nods' than laymen will
I mentioned this in my initial comment. I too love the little nods to real magic tricks and illusions.

What do you mean the serial numbers in the Lego Movie? Like serial numbers for pieces or sets?

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I mentioned this in my initial comment. I too love the little nods to real magic tricks and illusions.

What do you mean the serial numbers in the Lego Movie? Like serial numbers for pieces or sets?

Every Lego part has a serial number. If you have a set of instructions (or find one online). In the back, there's a listing of every part and they all have a number.

Even if the Lego Movie when Emmet starts 'seeing things' like the other master builders do, there was a number by every part he was seeing.

I wasn't in a good place when The Lego Movie came out and I was obsessed with Legos, I was on Bricklink ALL THE TIME and spent a lot of time obsessing over all sorts of Lego parts and projects (that I was thankfully stopped from doing).

I can't remember many of the serial numbers at this point (because I've latched into magic), but at the time, it was nuts.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Every Lego part has a serial number. If you have a set of instructions (or find one online). In the back, there's a listing of every part and they all have a number.

Even if the Lego Movie when Emmet starts 'seeing things' like the other master builders do, there was a number by every part he was seeing.

I wasn't in a good place when The Lego Movie came out and I was obsessed with Legos, I was on Bricklink ALL THE TIME and spent a lot of time obsessing over all sorts of Lego parts and projects (that I was thankfully stopped from doing).

I can't remember many of the serial numbers at this point (because I've latched into magic), but at the time, it was nuts.
Legos are great though haha. Plus it allows you to see little easter eggs most people would miss. You can appreciate the level of detail put in by the filmmakers. I have a useless skill in that I can read and write the Dwarven Moon Runes from the Hobbit as well as I can read and write English. Like I said, I love Legos as well and have noticed that Lego often utilizes these runes in their sets, specifically Lord of the Rings and their single Doctor Strange set. However, it isn't random. They all have small and often humorous messages. A detail most people wouldn't pick up on.

Anyway, point is, it's fun to have random trivial knowledge about certain things because you can pick up on little details other people wouldn't notice. It makes it more enjoyable.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results