Thread

Jul 3, 2011
Oregon
I have been considering buying Thread by Wayne Houchin but I have one question that needs an answer before I do. I know there is a geek version and a sleight of hand version, but does the geek version include an pain? Also, is there a chance to mess up during the geek version and end up with thread stuck somewhere inside your face? The effect is amazing, but I am reasonably quite nervous.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
It will feel uncomfortable at first, even hurt but the more you do it the more you'll get use to it, and I doubt that you could mess it up where it gets stuck in your eye unless you just stick your finger down your eye haha.

It's one of my favorites, get it. It'll be worth the discomfort at first.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
If you use polyester thread it will hurt. If you use 100% cotton thread as suggested by Wayne then it won't hurt but it's not particularly nice either. I've practiced it a fair bit but only performed it on a couple of occasions and I would say that so far it's worth the discomfort.
I'm not going to say it's impossible for the thread to get stuck in your face because I don't know the facts but I've prepared it hours before the event, driven to the event, walked around performing then performed thread if I felt like it was worth it and not once has it been stuck in a place were I can't get to.

Mar 5, 2010
Safe, but not the nicest feeling

Hey,
I have performed this effect a number of times. It is uncomfortable, especially at first. However, it does get easier and eventually it will feel like nothing. It is worth it, however some people have gotten the thread tangled in they're eye. This was simply due to NOT following Wayne's instructions. Buy the DVD, learn it properly, and you will be fine once you can mentally get over the method.
P.s The sleight-of-hand version is good, but once you see the geek method the variation will seem less worth the price.

All the best,
Brandon Wylie

Nov 15, 2011
I picked up Wayne's Thread DVD at his Detroit lecture.which was very informative and entertaining.
I know Wayne advices to use 100% cotton thread.
I have what might be a dumb question.
The 100% cotton thread I find also says on the spool ,mercerized,glazed or gassed. Does any of this make a difference?
Thanks
Gary

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I'm not sure what you mean by "stays on the spool" but I had to get a pack of 8 rolls of 100% untreated cotton off ebay that came from India. The threads I tried from UK stores not only failed to work well but they also hurt. Based on that experience I think mercerized/glazed/gassed does make a difference. Wayne does say not to use anything but 100% cotton.

gavinross

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
toledo, ohio
I'm not sure what you mean by "stays on the spool" but I had to get a pack of 8 rolls of 100% untreated cotton off ebay that came from India. The threads I tried from UK stores not only failed to work well but they also hurt. Based on that experience I think mercerized/glazed/gassed does make a difference. Wayne does say not to use anything but 100% cotton.

formula: Could you pm me a link to the thread you bought on ebay? At this point im willing to try anything to get the geek method to work. It sounds like these helped you over come the pain issue that i'm currently having. Thanks

Apr 1, 2013
this is getting frustrating

i cant find ANY black, unmercerised, pure 100% cotton thread with international shipping that doesn't use paypal to power the checkout. if you guys found a weak enough mercerised cotton that you can easily break w/ your hands, please link me to it. i can't use paypal for no explainable reason, it just never works. please help :(

Aug 25, 2012
I would recommend a website like Hobby Lobby, which is where I got my thread but after performing put a few more eye drops in, like in the video he uses the extra lubricant I believe it is, along with those I carry the red resistant eye drops because performing this effect is very uncomfortable and it will make your eyes red.

Apr 22, 2013
Hi, I've got a question - also about threads... I've built a motorized reel (for flying silk for example). But what kind of line would be the best for this? A 0,2 mm fishing line is visible and too thick, Yigal Mesika's invisible thread is too weak for this...

Apr 20, 2013
I performed THread as a repertoire in my routine several times.
If using a 100% cotton thread still hurts you, I suggest dipping the thread in an eye drop substances.
This will make the thread wet and harder to pull, but this will get you used toward having them "in the needed place".

-LYE

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results