To chat or not to chat!

Mar 19, 2009
Calgary, AB
Id love to see a theory11 chat room, link from here but based on a irc network.

With the forums here being so active I think a chat room would be great!

Any help needed just ask as Im very familiar with irc and mirc client.

What do you guys think?

Mar 19, 2009
Calgary, AB
Yeah

Video chat would be hard on bandwidth which I imagine they already run through a crap load but I could also help with that as I have my own web server with unlimited bandwidth.

Jun 22, 2008
Video seems a bit much to me, especially if we are talking the whole chat room on video, sounds like mega lag...

Jan 13, 2008
There's already a video chat with Justin Miller, coordinated on these forums.

And we used to have an (unofficial) IRC chat, but it died out (more than once) due to neglect over time (it would start off fairly popular, then slowly lose ground as people lost interest over time, eventually becoming one- or two-person chats, which are pointless).

Mar 19, 2009
Calgary, AB
Ahhh

Yes but was there a direct link to it from this website with a java client or so forth, so people didnt have to download mirc or another client? I think this would make it alot more useful and more a feature then a separate thing.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
I think a chat feature would be great. It would make active magic discussion much more interesting.

And no, I don't think video chatting is entirely necessary either. :)

-Sam H

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
we did used to have a t11 irc chat. i believe the room number was #theory11 , but its been a longg time when the school year started everyone got busy and no one really went on it anymore....then justin miller did the video chats and everyone went to those instead.

Jan 13, 2008
we did used to have a t11 irc chat. i believe the room number was #theory11 , but its been a longg time when the school year started everyone got busy and no one really went on it anymore....then justin miller did the video chats and everyone went to those instead.
Exactly what I said (except, I didn't mention why the chats stopped), lol.

Also, the IRC chats have existed in the past before that last attempt, as well, but they eventually dissolved due to lack of interest. They always start out alright, fully backed by numerous members...then the numbers start dwindling, until finally there's only a few people left, then none.

But yeah, like Nikki said, the Justin Miller chats have largely taken over the need for a video/text based chat. And it's actually better that they're scheduled like they are, instead of any time (like an IRC chat would be), because then that coordinates people from different time zones to be on at the same time (which is another problem we had with the IRC chats).

Overall, the Justin Miller chats are plenty good enough, as far as real time chatting is concerned. I mean, you can try to make another IRC if you guys really want, but when history repeats itself I'll be sure to say "I told you so." ;)

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
Exactly what I said (except, I didn't mention why the chats stopped), lol.

Also, the IRC chats have existed in the past before that last attempt, as well, but they eventually dissolved due to lack of interest. They always start out alright, fully backed by numerous members...then the numbers start dwindling, until finally there's only a few people left, then none.

But yeah, like Nikki said, the Justin Miller chats have largely taken over the need for a video/text based chat. And it's actually better that they're scheduled like they are, instead of any time (like an IRC chat would be), because then that coordinates people from different time zones to be on at the same time (which is another problem we had with the IRC chats).

Overall, the Justin Miller chats are plenty good enough, as far as real time chatting is concerned. I mean, you can try to make another IRC if you guys really want, but when history repeats itself I'll be sure to say "I told you so." ;)

acctually...sometimes a bunch of t11 people will go on randomly durring the week. though justin isnt there all the time...we still have a good time.

Jan 13, 2008
acctually...sometimes a bunch of t11 people will go on randomly durring the week. though justin isnt there all the time...we still have a good time.

Indeed, that's true. I forgot to mention that; thanks for bringing that up. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results