To Gaff or not to Gaff

Dec 4, 2011
Card effects can be awesome when preformed. I feel pure slieght of hand card magic gives off a better feeling than gaffs. I also think gaffs can give of a better reaction. This forum is to debate the use, or not, of gaffs to pure slieght of hand.

Nov 28, 2009
I feel that if you don't use some gaffs in your routine you're cheating the spectator, and yourself. Yeah, slieght of hand is great, and it gives you a great sense of accomplishment when you perform PURE slieght of hand. But you'd be cheating yourself if you didn't use a gaff. It gets some of the greatest reactions.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Gaffs are, for the most part, for beginners. There are certain gaffs that are exceptional and should be used by all but it's my opinion that a professional and true students of magic perform miracles without gaffs.

I agree. Gaffs get incredible reactions in most cases. Although I tend not to use gaffs in my professional work.

My love of flourishing means that gaffs often get tarnished quickly in practice, and they're very hard to source in the UK, as postage from American is so high, or you might be using a different deck to the gaffs.

As a magician though I prefer sleight of hand. It's more interesting to watch and learn if I know it can be accomplished with a normal deck.

Nov 28, 2009
I know what you mean, I personally don't use them everyday. But bringing out the "Blink" card here and there sure does get some fantastic reactions.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
You shouldn't be afraid to use gaff's, just don't rely on them 100%. Use them combined with already skilled enough sleight of hand.

There however times when they can either really knock people dead and other times when some rules are meant to be broken.

Dec 4, 2011
Thanks for the comments. Also want to add another side idea. If you use gaffs, do you use your own or proffessionaly made ones?

Jan 18, 2008
I tend to not use gaffs personally on a daily basis, but more so now than before. like we all know, its about the outcome effect.

Its funny how performers - hobbyists and pros alike - tend to go in waves with the stuff. Im open more to the idea nowadays, but am careful with them because I don't want to wear out the card/coin/etc.

That's why I don't buy gaff super decks or... complex gaffs anymore. They only give you one! I like gaffs I can make myself -and are simple with a huge pay off (sanders, sankey, mayhew have gaffs like these). Panic, window, etc, supergaff decks - I would love if each product came with... 5 copies of them for the professional, or instructions to make them yourself.

I assume when you guys say gaffs - you are talking about - special cards, etc. Wax or.. a magnet or thread isn't a gaff, is it? but when you put a magnet or thread in a card - now its a gaff? By definition is a gaff something you just don't want your spectator to see? is a duplicate a gaff - for that particular trick anyway?

I've been thinking - gaffs allow the performer to do somewhat effortless sleight of hand - although we can all agree- this isn't always the case. Sometimes an effect involves a complex card construction for example - and still needs to be be controlled, changed, and false counted to really sell the idea. other times- you just have to cut it into the pack. it depends.

I used to think gaffs make your trick sleightless. When actually, if you really want to dive deep into the effect for the sake of doing so, you can discover ways to bring the gaff in and out of play with misdirection or a series of moves - instead of just leaving it in the pack, or in your hand, cardbox, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Just some thoughts.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I find that gaffs I make myself don't work as well as ones shipped with the instructional dvd or booklet. I find myself in the same position as Geraint as well with overseas shipping so I don't buy gaffs very often. Someone should make a catalogue of gaffs and just ship "refills" with no instructions, a little bit like Hofzinser cards.

Jan 18, 2008
yeah. I like that idea. but then again, it gets into "its my effect, don't make my gaffs." Its hard to know where you draw the line, unless those gaffs - whatever they may be - are slightly different in how they are made.. maybe they will be better.

But yes, a gaff manufacturer would be amazing - I would load up on those. Pro gaffs along with ones I make that will ultimately get better with practice would stock me well.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Obviously the person(s) making the gaffs would have written consent to reproduce their gaffed cards and there would be some kind of royalty or commission given to the creator(s). I much prefer the idea of buying 5-10 refills of a gaff for $20 rather than buying the trick with the instructions again for $20. I don't want 10 sets of instructions or 10 of the same dvd, such a waste of resources.

It wouldn't just be gaffs though, in my vision the retailer would stock the majority of items. Kaylor's new card to wallet utility in different colours, the "gimmick" you get when you buy extreme burn....magic needs a shop like that so we don't have to pay out of our arses to keep performing our favourite tricks.

Jan 18, 2008
I do like that idea too. hmm...

but what would you say to people who would argue: you can just go to the store - and request for a certain gaff or precision made refill, and they will charge you for that separately?

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Personally, there isn't a magic shop within 100 miles of me but if I called, say, world magic shop and asked for a "refill", they would probably say I have to buy the whole trick. After all they are a shop and they have to make a profit to survive.

I just think a dedicated retailer of gaffs would bring the cost down for consumers that have already invested in buying the original trick with the instructions. It's cheaper to send a pack of 10 cards than it is to send a dvd with 2 cards in it.

Sep 16, 2011
Leeds, UK
Surely the answer is ...what ever gets the best reactions and whatever entertains the best? As long as sleight of hand isn't ignored and is still practiced/used, then surely anything that works is the way to go?

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
That's great but there aren't many that sell bare basic refills. One of the reasons I don't buy gaffs anymore is because they don't last long and there isn't always a refill option or I have to email them to ask for an unofficial refill. We live in a world where people want the shortest possibly route to their destination so a site that has refills you can add to a basket in various backs types is far superior to the emailing option where it may take 2 days just to get a reply.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
For those who use gaffs, do you find it tough to ditch the gaff?

I tend to use gaffs when they blend in perfectly and look like normal cards like the Invisible deck, or the princess card trick. Usually I just keep a duplicate of a 9 of clubs or some other random card in the pack. I don't think you'd call that gaffed but if I want to do a card to impossible location or something I'm ready.

The worst is when an effect requires you to destroy the gaff and it's tough to get refills. I learned a no gaff version of anniversary waltz just for this. I don't want to be left out to dry when I have all my double backers and facers signed.

bentley

Elite Member
Nov 23, 2007
I see nothing wrong with gaffs or gimmicks for that matter. If it helps accomplish something then use it. No one knows about gimmicks but magicians and gaffs enhance a routine sometimes. Don't be so closed to something that helps you. But this is my opinion. I love sleight of hand, gaffs, and gimmicks. I combine all three to help enhance the magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results