Too Much Consumerism in Magic

Sep 1, 2007
I'm actually not that concerned about the current accessibility of magic since the general population is still only peripherally aware that brick and mortar magic shops exist.

I'm more bothered by the fact that most of the stuff being put out right now is crap. But then again, I'm a New Media guy and I have long since accepted that this is the price we must be willing to pay for the democratization of information and the arts.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I'm more bothered by the fact that most of the stuff being put out right now is crap.

I agree with you there. I haven't been on the market since my return. The last trick I bought was... I can't remember.
But i've been looking through magic sites and I see seven version of bill changes. A hundred MORE ways to tear a card and restore. and so on. I've also seen so many darn "the best quality ever" deck of cards come out it's amazing. Artifice cards, infinity,arcane, monarchs, aristocrats, new version of guardians,the titanium decks! Its soo damn much too soon. I trust the companies make quality cards im sure, but come on.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I've not been shy (even in this thread) when it comes to the load of bovine excrement the "New" magic industry produces; everything from the previously mentioned 6th grade science projects to some exceptionally misleading marketing tactics when it comes to certain effects (and ALL of the on-line resources like Penguin, Paper Crane, T-11 and E are guilty for this). Where this is part of the growing pain process it's likewise due to how our social mind-set has brought about a plague of questionable product & marketing actions; it's not just in the magic world it's far more global.

The onus however, is on the shoulders of the magic world and especially these newer companies; we own it to the craft, our patrons and the audiences they will be working with to make magic far less accessible and similarly, demand a higher sense of quality when it comes to both, the effects themselves as well as how they are made. It's really up to US to make the improvements and govern the over-all problems, the shop owners & developers can't do it all BUT, as we found a few short decades ago, when merchants join their efforts as one, good things can happen industry wide, such as giving credit (as well as blame) where it is due.

Less sensationalism, better quality, and loads more respect will take us a very long way in the "proper" direction.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results