Tough crowds... or not

Hey guys.

Lately, I've been performing a lot, but my audience seems to be a bit aggravating.

Let's say I do Indecent, and they say, "Oh I know how you did that. You just (insert a stupid and illogical explanation here.)"

I get so pissed. I don't even know what to do.

Any advice?

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
In my experience the best piece of advice I can say is "Don't say anything".

If you don't say anything they'll start to re-think and will probably end up saying "But wait...". OR other people will say things for you, I've found this to be the case 90% of the time.

You have to remember, ANY explanation for a spectator is an explanation. It's peace of mind, with no explanation they feel vulnerable and uncomfortable this is why we have to ease the blow a bit. Make a joke at the end of your act or something, finish with a self-working trick that preferably happens in their hands and then ask them how they did it!

They can't question you if you've done nothing and they've done everything ;)

- Sean

Oct 21, 2007
my school is FULL of hecklers so i can understand your pain, jus snap back a witty remark or joke... thats seems to work, but if u have no plusible answer dont say anything, but then again saying nothin could rise suspition in your audience...

Dec 14, 2007
How old are you?

Believe it or not, that makes a difference. When you are younger, people react to you differently than when you are older. (When I was in high school working for my friends it was entirely different than it is now when I approach people as an adult who makes his living as a performer.) Also, how you carry yourself and how you interact with the audience matters.

If they are friends of yours, then there is no power in your position. However, you can make things better by trying to convey that this is something cool that you're sharing with them, that this is something you care about and is important to you.

If you come across like you are just trying to fool them, then it will be a contest. If they know this is important to you, and you are trying to share something, they will be supportive.

Now, if you are performing for strangers, attitude is also important. Who are you? Who are you to them? Do they have a reason to respect you from the beginning? Do you do things to earn their trust and respect?

Attitude makes the difference between working AT someone, working FOR someone, or working WITH someone.

Treat your art and your audience with respect, and they will reciprocate.

Brad Henderson

In my experience the best piece of advice I can say is "Don't say anything".

If you don't say anything they'll start to re-think and will probably end up saying "But wait...". OR other people will say things for you, I've found this to be the case 90% of the time.

You have to remember, ANY explanation for a spectator is an explanation. It's peace of mind, with no explanation they feel vulnerable and uncomfortable this is why we have to ease the blow a bit. Make a joke at the end of your act or something, finish with a self-working trick that preferably happens in their hands and then ask them how they did it!

They can't question you if you've done nothing and they've done everything ;)

- Sean

Alright man, thanks!

Sep 1, 2007
USA
I usually just say

"ok" like a barely heard what they said...

or "if you insist" which no matter what someone is trying to figure out leaves a little mystery becuase you don't lead to a yes or no

and continue with either the rest of the trick or if I'm done... start an even more amazing trick or walk away...

a good example of this is when I do the "Queens" by D&D

the first queen most people automatically know what happened... they say it's right there and point to the top of the deck... I "ok" then proceed to do the second vanish which is so ingenious that no one has figured out what I've done...
~zac

In those situations I just use the traditional one liners:

-What can I say, it's magic!

-A Good magician never reveals his secrets.

-I could tell you, but then i'd have to kill you.

-Well if I'm going to reveal everything..........I am an alien!

even if you get pissed (I know how you feel) stand your ground and take it a a HUGE compliment that what you just showed them was THAT amazing.

If it's a cute girl tell on the other hand, tell her you can only reveal the the secret on friday nights while both of you are under the influence of a lot of alcohol!

Sep 1, 2007
California
What you could do is repeat the trick but in a diffirent order. So if they tell you a card is some where show them that it isn't there.

As Sean_Raf said anything to ease their minds will do. For example when I was at Grand Illusions, Steve(who is on the forums) the owner showed me an amazing trick and then told me a method wich was good enough for me but it wasn't really the method. So when he told me the real method he explained why I believed what he said and how spectators might do that sometimes.

If that made any sense.

Jan 11, 2008
New york
First do a few magic tricks that are two or three phase ,each phase with a different method but they have the same end result. The spectator will quickly learn to stop searching for the answers and just enjoy the experience.

1) ambitious card (they think they know but give up quickly)
2) coin matrix (when the last coin gos its pure magic)
3) any "Magician in trouble scenario" trick.(you screwed up...then POW you got em)

Oct 28, 2007
i love these moments because they think that they got you when deep down inside they are still amazed because they know that there explanation really doesn't make sense.
anyway when this happens i usually just ask the person how said they know how to do it to explain how i did it, this usually creates a conversation between the spectators because when they explain it the others will disagree because they are thinking straight, and the more they argue the more amazed they will become.
or i just make a quick pun like (wait don't tell me i'm still trying to figure it out!) gets a laugh and just go to another trick.

Dec 5, 2007
One thing that people dont understand is just becaus someone is heckling you it does not mean your magic is bad, some people does just not enjoy magic. The best thing you can do is to win over the audience before the tricks starts and get them to like you.

Its the same thing as if let say Bruce springsteen walked in front of some death metal fans, they would probably not enjoy it even if he rocked the place just becaus they do not enjoy classic rock, people like and disslike different things.

One thing people should ask them self before they go out and perform is, can i be entertaining and intressting without my tricks? if not, stop buying tricks and work on your showmanship for a while. If your entertaining you can get away with alot.

The thing is, one of my friends is a heckler. I want to perform for him, but it just gets so aggravating.

I did Subway and then his card "transposed" to the other half of the deck, he immediately grabbed it and snatched it.

What should I do in case something like this happens?

Jan 27, 2008
Like fridoliina said, try to win him over as a friend FIRST (IF he seems like the person to heckle).

I try to come off my spectators as inoccent and charismatic as I can. I never say, "Do you want to see a magic-trick?" I usually say something alond the lines of "Wanna see something weird?" or the like. Or, I'll just do a few flashy flourishes while staring at my cards (and my cards only because if you look at your future victims-of-astonishment, it kind of seems like your "showing-off"). I usually am able to lure and audience that way.

Also, don't force anything (except that special card) on your audience if they don't want it. For example, don't perform for someone who is skeptical.

..:Z:..

Dec 5, 2007
Well if hes a hackler, then dont performe for him. Maybe he does not like magic. Its like showing a horror movie to your grandmother, even how good it is shell probably turn it of and walk away.

Also how old are you? Younger people can be very unmature and they dont want any one to be "better" then them or be abel to do stuff they cant do so they gets frustrated and trys to destroy for you.

I performe in alot of resturants/bars and partys where people are mostly around 20 - 40, and i have never been heckled by anyone in that age group becaus most people by then knows a magician is there to entertain and its just rude to do so.

Also it depends on how you presentate it, if your going like, oh im going to do something with my magical powers, he will heckel you try to presentate it very lighthearted and just as a fun thing.

I see alot of young people that want to performe for a heckler, and win over the heckler and do things they dont understand. If so ask yourself why? what is there to prove? magic is for entertaining and some people just dont like it.

Like i said before you cant entertain with something people dont like.

You could take me to the best theater play in the world and i would not enjoy it, not becaus its bad just becaus i dont like theater.

How old are you?

Believe it or not, that makes a difference. When you are younger, people react to you differently than when you are older. (When I was in high school working for my friends it was entirely different than it is now when I approach people as an adult who makes his living as a performer.) Also, how you carry yourself and how you interact with the audience matters.

If they are friends of yours, then there is no power in your position. However, you can make things better by trying to convey that this is something cool that you're sharing with them, that this is something you care about and is important to you.

If you come across like you are just trying to fool them, then it will be a contest. If they know this is important to you, and you are trying to share something, they will be supportive.

Now, if you are performing for strangers, attitude is also important. Who are you? Who are you to them? Do they have a reason to respect you from the beginning? Do you do things to earn their trust and respect?

Attitude makes the difference between working AT someone, working FOR someone, or working WITH someone.

Treat your art and your audience with respect, and they will reciprocate.

Brad Henderson

I agree to an extent on this and if I may add one thing without ticking too many of our younger members off. I noticed in my magic club that the younger magicians seem to want to look like or merely resemble Angel. I mean the eye liner and excessive jewlery and torn cloths. This has become a growing trend and I think spectators don't take you seriously like if you where well groomed and presented yourself as a pro. When I see the younger guys performing people seem to be a little annoyed by them due to their presence and more accepting to me or any of the other magicians not trying to make a statement with their appearance. Now I'm not saying you should conform and be like everyone else but in essence they look like every other kid and they are conforming. These are my observations and opinions. People are accepting or not due to first impressions and thats the real truth, so if you want to be taken seriously look and play the part or be prepared to continue to be heckled. Also by saying nothing leaves the spactator with nowhere to go with their remarks. So thats my take on it.

Dec 5, 2007
I dont think how you dress looks if your really good at what you are doing as long as you dont look scarry or something. as long as you look clean you can look however you want. Iv got a friend who is a magician and hes performing at resturants and partys etc for alot of very rich and "classy" people with armani suits etc and it works fine for him becaus hes really good at what hes doing and he has long hair and make up and all that stuff.

Jan 27, 2008
Hahaha. I don't do all that stuff. I usually just perform casually. I'm 15 and still in high school.

I just hate it when my spectators say stupid explanations, especially when I do Control.

"Oh, you're just squeezing your fingers."

Yah, I hate that too. When ever they do that, I hand them my deck and ask them to do it :p

..:Z:..:p

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results