TresPass by Lee Asher - Review

Sep 1, 2007
TresPass by Lee Asher

Length: 4:15 mins

What's TresPass?
So, finally a Lee Asher download! Something called TresPass. So what is TresPass? TresPass is a utility move created by Lee Asher, published a while back in his Thinking out Loud notes. What the move is is to control a selected card to the top of the deck invisibly.

TresPass is not like any of the usual passes you do. The method is nothing you'd expect and is pretty bold in my opinion, but it really works well when you've got it down. Just look at Lee's demo.

Teaching
For those who owns any of Lee Asher's videos would know that he's a great teacher. He does a great job here too, but I just felt the teaching was a tad bit too rushed at some parts. But it doesn't really matter, cuz you can just rewatch the download.

Difficulty
How hard is TresPass? I'd say it is a lot easier than the normal pass we usually do, but don't think you'd get it immediately if you can do a classic pass because this move is completely different in execution. The move itself isn't hard, but as this is a little angle sensitive, I'd say you'll get it down after a good one hour of practice in front of a mirror.

Misc
Something not mentioned is that you would need to be wearing a watch and long sleeves to do this. You don't HAVE to, but this move is designed to be executed while pulling up your sleeves and looking at your watch. However, with some thoughts and creativity, you may not have to do this.

Conclusion
For me, although this is great, I dont really think I'll use this that often, as it doesn't fit that well with the tricks I do. For those who is considering this, if you're tired of using the regular passes, and want something new, go check it out.

Dec 5, 2007
Indiana, USA
I'm not sure what to say about this pass. It's awful. My head nearly snapped back when Lee did the pass and gestured toward his watch. This might be something to play around with at your local magic club or convention, but I can't see doing this for real people. I hope that T11 (with it's commitment to a download every Friday) will keep the quality higher than this mess. I understand that Lee is a great guy and a good teacher. But this one is half-baked and should be a free download if anything. He even says while he's performing the pass that it's something that he's been "playing with for years."

Ditto for "Four" by Aaron Fisher...

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 2, 2008
TresPass by Lee Asher

Something not mentioned is that you would need to be wearing a watch and long sleeves to do this. You don't HAVE to, but this move is designed to be executed while pulling up your sleeves and looking at your watch. However, with some thoughts and creativity, you may not have to do this.

You've got to be kidding. I thought Lee just did that in the promotion clip. I have tremendous respect for Lee and T11 team, but selling fancy utility moves useful only to show off at conventions is not a very good approach in my opinion.

Sep 1, 2007
You've got to be kidding. I thought Lee just did that in the promotion clip. I have tremendous respect for Lee and T11 team, but selling fancy utility moves useful only to show off at conventions is not a very good approach in my opinion.

You don't HAVE to be pulling up your your sleeves, it just works well with the move. But of course ideally you should be pulling up your sleeves.

He even says while he's performing the pass that it's something that he's been "playing with for years."

Ditto for "Four" by Aaron Fisher...
Because he did. The pass was published in is lecture notes LONG time ago, I'd say betweek 6-10 years.

Lets just say that this pass depends on an action, that requires you to have a sleeve ( don't have to, but definatly help ) or a watch. In either case, its a natural cover if you handle it properly. This pass is angly, but anyone who's been in card magic for awhile know that there are much angleier stuff than this.

Personally, I'd say for those who want to buy it, get Asher's notes. However, finally seeing the pass correctly performed is neat.

Ace

Sep 2, 2007
I would rather buy Lee's notes with this instead. No disrespect to Asher but this is like the magic trick you buy that ends up collecting dust.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
I own Lee Asher's Preview PDF (his notes on this move), and I completely disagree with the fact that you must be wearing a watch and/or sleeves. You can make the same motion without the afore mentioned.

I love this move. I'd recommend buying it.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I bought it and i regret it. Because, first of all. it's not really a pass, everyone who own's this, and know's deffinition of pass, know's what im talking about. And you can hardly put it in any trick, it doesnt look bad for a stand alone effect, or maybe some weird part of ACR, but that's it.

I bought Werm (D&D) also, so im going to "play" with that a little more...

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
i bought this and im satisfied
BTW, lee said that ou need a watch or sleeve
you can do this with shortsleeves, but need to be careful of the angles a little more, wearing a jacket will help

Nov 19, 2007
MD
@the people who are hating the sleeves and the watch thing,

ever heard of PRESENTATION?

Ever heard of some people not liking watches and/or sleeves?

No offense to the trick, as I have not bought it, but what works for some people does not work for everyone.

Sep 1, 2007
It is up to you to create the justification for a move. Perhaps the lesson here is not necessarily about the move itself, but about the thinking behind it. Lee clearly got out of the box when he thought up this little item; if nothing else, perhaps it will inspire some other folks to as well.

Not to mention that the arrogance of putting down the work of a well respected magician who has spent years thinking about it is almost beyond belief; but then again its a well-documented phenomenon in the magic community, so I'm past being surprised by it.

Sep 1, 2007
For all you out there, yes, you don't have to be wearing sleeves and a watch. However, ideally, you should be wearing these.

Tres Pass, as Lee Asher said, is a fun move that teaches us about angles, vanishes and recoveries. It was designed to be something new, fresh, quick and visual.

Something to get us thinking.

"If Tres Pass gets you thinking about magic, construction, performance, or anything related to sleight of hand -- it's done its job."

Mar 11, 2008
...Personally, I'd say for those who want to buy it, get Asher's notes. However, finally seeing the pass correctly performed is neat.

I would have to disagree with Medifro. Anybody wanting to 'see' this move will be very disappointed. Whatever the merits of the move itself, this video botches the trick by masking it with 5 edits - Mtv-style cuts to different angles at crucial moments in the opening 40 seconds. This approach at sexing the video up is a whole topic of its own, personally I find it very distracting, however in this case it borders on the criminal, because you don't actually ever get to see the move demonstrated at speed, cleanly, all the way through.

Unfortunately having to cut around the move leads one to the conclusion that the trick isn't that great and needed the artifice of the camera to help it. A claim that Lee Asher might understandably be upset by and want to refute. (And Lee, if you tell me the move works fine and that you've personally given the director/editor a good kicking, you'll have my sympathy).

And for everyone who says, ah, but that's the joy of video, you can always re-watch it. Be assured, I did. Annoyingly, I had no choice but to watch the opening 40 seconds over and over. It takes some time to see what those five edits - giving you different angles of the same action - are actually masking and it's annoying to discover that, yes, you have been cheated, and that yes, you have NOT been shown the full move.

Of the videos I have paid for from theory11 I would say without hesitation that tres Pass is the weakest and not worthy of being included on the site. This opinion is influenced as much by the technical presentation as the actual move itself. But finally, it has to be said that it's also influenced by Lee. I'm sure I'm not alone in my dismay at learning that his little quip about it being the second fastest pass in the world, followed by looking at his wrist watch - and then on paying for the effect - discover this routine is an integral part of the trick. I felt cheated. In fairness to Lee Asher, I'm not sure there's any other way he could present it, but that probably points to it not being worthy of a paid download.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 17, 2008
K-W, ON, Canada
I agree with Peter.

"If Tres Pass gets you thinking about magic, construction, performance, or anything related to sleight of hand -- it's done its job."

Then perhaps it should be marketed as that, because I don't think people are buying it to be "inspired." They're buying it to learn what T11 calls "the second fastest pass in the world." It's not meant to be a virtual doobie that'll get you thinking outside the box. :p If it were SOLD as that, then people would have nothing to complain about. But it's sold as a pass. And it requires your magic persona to wear a watch and/or sleeve. Sure, you could come up with ways to do it without those, as they aren't actually required for the trick - but having to wipe a big old booger off your arm after your spec snots one on ya isn't very attractive, ya know what I'm saying? It's not very PRACTICAL/NATURAL unless you have a watch/long sleeve, even though it can be DONE without them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results