Trick Design

Jul 22, 2008
Hillsboro, Oregon
First off, this isn't a thread asking to rate a trick idea, or a thread asking for help designing a trick.

I have been thinking lately, how do I progress my magic? How do I move beyond the basics and start doing truly amazing things? Should I absorb all the information I can? Should I devote hours and hours every day to practice? What should I do?

Then I thought, perhaps there is a better way to make my magic unique and powerful, and it's something that was inspired by the Daniel Madison artist manifesto. Maybe I should avoid magic, like he did, to keep from "contaminating" what I think magic should be.

Instead of forking over cash every time I see a cool trick, maybe I should shun buying new tricks all together.

I think trick design is the true way to progress. You see a cool effect, but instead of searching for a dvd on how to do it, why not come up with a method yourself? Push your limits and create unique and bizarre effects, rather than buy them. Craft entire routines out of completely original tricks, make them your own, become unique. It's sort of hard to explain, and I think Daniel Madison does a much better job.

I'm curious, what are your guy's opinions on this?

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Personally, in the past few months, I have shunned purchasing new magic, buying only the reprinted 'Out of Control' book. The reson is, not because I feel my work will be contaminated by other peoples magic, simply because I want to dedicate more of my time to developing my own stuff. And thus far, it has worked. My mind has been solely working over the creation of my own magic, and it feels great!

cl

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Similar to flourishes creation is magic is one of the best parts of magic.
I enjoy the fascination I once experienced when I was a laymen watching a magic trick, and to be honest, figuring out how to do a trick is what makes it all exiting. (Were all a little bit curious in some ways)

Magic is much more fun, when you perform your own created tricks rather than using someone else's.

All the best performers, have tricks that are uniquely theirs and that is what makes them great magicians.

To people lacking inspiration, just start creating your own tricks and let your ideas manifest into something great.

I myself perform only variations of tricks eg triumph, ACR, collectors etc.
Funnily enough it's these few effects that get me the best reactions.

-DL

Jun 24, 2008
United States
personally, this is what ive been doing for a long time...it keeps me busy, interested, and always thinking. Also this way i never get bored. But then again i would like to buy some DVD's to help me with sleights, like the Trilogy or something. But i like your idea of creating your own moves.

I personally feel that I have not yet progressed enough to begin making brilliant tricks yet. I do not know a lot of the harder sleights making it hard for me to pull off more complicated moves. So instead what I do is take an already existing routine and make my own version.

For example, an ACR. I will use tricks from many different books and DVD's and add them to my ACR. This helps spread out some different ideas to work with instead of sticking to the boring classic one.

Dylan P.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results