Tricks to Perform Surrounded

Sep 12, 2011
Asheville, N.C.
Here's my problem: I know upwards of 20 card tricks, but I only perform about 5. I need tricks I can perform surrounded, standing up, for anyone - including kids as young as 6-7. I'd like to have 8 or 9 different card tricks (I already know rubberbands, coins, spongeballs, etc) and I can't use anything with a gimmick or gaff. The ones I frequently use now are: Card to Mouth, Subway, Triumph, the general routine with forcing a card, and my ACR. Suggestions?

Jun 23, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
There is really a vast variety of tricks you can perform, and if you have enough knowledge start combining your favorite sleights and patter to create your own tricks. Most have made custom versions of classic tricks in order to adapt them to favorite controls,color changes, etc.

Sep 12, 2011
Asheville, N.C.
I know there's a vast variety, I just want specific tricks. I hate seeing a trick, thinking it looks good, then buying it and finding out it won't work from all angles. I do adapt most tricks at least a little; again, I just need suggestions to start with.

I know there's a vast variety, I just want specific tricks. I hate seeing a trick, thinking it looks good, then buying it and finding out it won't work from all angles. I do adapt most tricks at least a little; again, I just need suggestions to start with.

Try watching some David Blaine specials, all his his tricks are performed surrounded, so it will give you some idea of what routines you can pull off. However, I would like to point out that most advanced card magic is angle sensitive, yet it can be performed for large audiences with the use of misdirection, audience management and proper positioning to cover these angles. If you are uncomfortable with these practices, I suggest changing your sleight base to ones that can be done surrounded until you become confortable with your performance skills. Here are just a few moves off the top of my head that are ny-on angle proof.

Controlls:
Convincing control, Spread Pass, Double Undercut, Losing Control, Double Lift, Secret Addition.

Color Changes:
Classic, 2 Handed, Wave Change, Clipshift, ShapeShifter, Ego.

Pretty much all forces are angle proof.

Many of these moves can be found in Card Collage, or Royal Road to Card Magic if you want a less comprehensive study.

Oct 5, 2009
Clipshift and Spread Pass are not completely angle proof = =
they would both flash on the very left hand side

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Quick note- most 'advanced' card magic is not angle sensitive.

Ben

Then do simple card magic?

Go through (as suggested) Royal Road and/or Card College, many of the effects are simple in design but hit hard.

As long as your presentation is entertaining and the effect is clear then the method will not matter to anyone. A simple cross cut force or key card placement can turn an average effect into a miracle.

Jun 30, 2011
I think attempting to find sleights and tricks which can be performed completely surrounded is missing the point a bit. Firstly, there's very rarely a situation where you have to be surrounded 360 degrees, if there's people behind me I simply suggest that they move so they'll be able to see what's going on. Also, make sure you're fully aware of the weak angles of every sleight you use so if somebody is at this angle during a performance then you can direct your attention towards them as you execute the sleight and ask them a question.

I'm also not really sure why it was suggested that the Clip Shift, Ego Change and Spread Pass are completely angle proof, they simply aren't, the weak angles can certainly be covered with misdirection but they aren't inherently invisible from every angle. If you're doing these moves and have people to your far left and aren't misdirecting them, they're just being polite, they certainly aren't being deceived.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results