Ulmen Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2008
If you're lucky, you get a n00b video. most of the n00bs on this website just talk about what they can do and never back it up with any video at all. thats why I recommend trying to shoot a video uncut , its a good reality check to help you realize how bad you are.

which is why 99% of all flourishing videos(even ones that are 25 seconds long) have cuts in them.

Now I am not that great(by most flourishers standards here I suck) but my opinion on this, why it may seem corny, it is a challenge, and its up to you if you want to do it or not, so instead of saying its retarded, or its the bestorz, just accept it for what it is, I guess. It your decision, so create your material and get off my balls.

Not to start an argument(well, to late) but what I dont understand is why he doesnt show his face, and dont say "because he wants to remain undergroundz!!!!!!!" cause thats crap, if he was so worried about being underground he wouldnt be releasing instructional videos. besides here is the real devo:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRguZr0xCOc

Not to start an argument(well, to late) but what I dont understand is why he doesnt show his face, and dont say "because he wants to remain undergroundz!!!!!!!" cause thats crap, if he was so worried about being underground he wouldnt be releasing instructional videos. besides here is the real devo:eek:
Dude why do you wan't to see his face? The only thing that matters is what he's teaching. De'vo doesn't wan't people in his buisness so he doesn't show his face.....
Simple as that....

Sep 1, 2007
It's childish. There's no reason to put the robe on other than to build yourself up as something you are not. He's just a flourisher, not some evil witch sorcerer.

By the same magnificently bad logic, I should stop wearing baseball caps and shirts with a Batman logo on them. I am neither a baseball player, nor Batman. I should probably also get a shave and a haircut because I'm also not Aragorn, son of Arathorn.

You want to talk childish? You sound like stereotypical gay men gossipping about their co-workers' fashion sense.

None of this changes the fact that the argument is stupid. It's superficial and shallow. You want to complain about the pageantry affected by a performer? Go to TMZ.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
By the same magnificently bad logic, I should stop wearing baseball caps and shirts with a Batman logo on them. I am neither a baseball player, nor Batman. I should probably also get a shave and a haircut because I'm also not Aragorn, son of Arathorn.
Those analogies are ridiculous. Hats, hair, shirts and beards are part of everyday life. Black robes are not. When people start walking around with black robes on maybe I'll buy into that.

You want to talk childish? You sound like stereotypical gay men gossipping about their co-workers' fashion
sense.
If someone walked into an office wearing a black robe everyone would be gossiping about it.
None of this changes the fact that the argument is stupid. It's superficial and shallow. You want to complain about the pageantry affected by a performer? Go to TMZ.
You make it sound like my whole post was about his wardrobe...

I'll leave you with this question, is there any good reason for the robe? De'vo can still flourish in a suit or a tee-shirt. He's a ****ing card handler for god's sakes, not an executioner.

Jan 31, 2008
Those analogies are ridiculous. Hats, hair, shirts and beards are part of everyday life. Black robes are not. When people start walking around with black robes on maybe I'll buy into that.

If someone walked into an office wearing a black robe everyone would be gossiping about it.

I'll leave you with this question, is there any good reason for the robe? De'vo can still flourish in a suit or a tee-shirt. He's a ****ing card handler for god's sakes, not an executioner.

Point out at least 3 videos of De'vo dressed up in his ceremonial attire that is a cloak...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007

I know people who do. In fact, a roommate of mine preferred to wear cloaks instead of jackets.

And let's not start on Trekkies...

That's assuming the office dress code would even allow it. To my knowledge, XCM does not have a universally recognized dress code unless you count "Abercrombie jeans and My Chemical Romance T-shirt".

No, just the fact that you even felt the need to bring it up as if it made the slightest bit of difference to anyone or anything.

I'll leave you with this question, is there any good reason for the robe?

Pageantry.

Now let me ask you question: Do you complain when punk singer Michael Graves paints a skull on his face?

You need to chill out and just enjoy the spectacle sometimes, dude. Some of us like a little affectation now and again because we don't take ourselves so seriously that we can't have any fun.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
I know people who do. In fact, a roommate of mine preferred to wear cloaks instead of jackets.

And let's not start on Trekkies...
Touché. I personally have never seen someone other than a street performer in an executioner's cloak in NYC but maybe that's unusual
That's assuming the office dress code would even allow it. To my knowledge, XCM does not have a universally recognized dress code unless you count "Abercrombie jeans and My Chemical Romance T-shirt".
Well maybe not a dress code, but most XCMers try to portray themselves as just ordinary Joe's with a talent (or at least they come off that way). For me personally, the robe does not coincide with that image.
No, just the fact that you even felt the need to bring it up as if it made the slightest bit of difference to anyone or anything.
Well, copperfield said no one knows **** about De'vo and in return I said he wears robes a lot (which no one is disagreeing with besides that kid that posted above me) so it was actually relevant to bring it up
Pageantry.
What historical event does the robe coincide with? Correct me if I'm wrong but Pageants usually coincide with historical events, no?
Now let me ask you question: Do you complain when punk singer Michael Graves paints a skull on his face?
No, because as you were talking about before XCM has it's image and punk and metal and sludge each have theirs. The skull goes along with the general Punk image. If someone wanted to get up on stage and scream in short shorts and a Hollister shirt then I might laugh.
You need to chill out and just enjoy the spectacle sometimes, dude. Some of us like a little affectation now and again because we don't take ourselves so seriously that we can't have any fun.
Maybe if it was anyone else besides De'vo I could have fun with it. The biggest problem I have with him is he's put himself in a position of absolute power. He's foreign, and no one knows anything about him and he's been around a while. So he can pretty much stake claim to any concept or move and just say "It's in my underground manual I wrote in the 80's" while he fails to let anyone other than his close circle of friends (how convenient) see this street bible of card manipulation. And his drone-like forum members slurp whatever he says right up. I just can't have fun with someone like that.

Sep 2, 2007
Guys,

I'm going to close this thread, as the thread originator's questions have been answered and the thread has clearly gotten onto a tangent. Frankly, there is no need for some of the disrespect and back-and-forth bashing displayed in the thread -- as I had to edit and remove countless posts.

Let's try to keep all discussion respectful and civil. While you guys are free to express your opinions -- they must be done so in a professional and courteous manner, which, for the most part, was not the case in this thread. We must respect all of those that respect the art; there is no need for some of the offensive, divisive comments that were posted here.

If you notice anything of this sort occurring again, please hit the Report a Post button or contact myself (or another moderator) via PM and let us know. We'll handle the situation accordingly.

Let's take a step back, readjust our attitudes and hostilities, take another gander at the forum rules, and get back to the cardistry. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results