Unique Packet Tricks - Expose or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2009
I wanted to ask something from the people in the forum here, and please keep the flaming to a minimal. I’ve given all of your comments very serious thought. For those that do not know, I created a card magic website that currently is showing how to do various slights and tricks. Here’s the main feedback that I got from those that posted on the topic.

Exposure is wrong, mainly because it hurts other by taking away revenue from tricks they are trying to sell, by giving them away for free on the internet. I know everyone will say, “you’re wrong Jeremy…”, but here was my idea behind the exposure.

I’ve bought many tricks on DvD and packets, only to learn that some of the ‘easy’ tricks were perhaps too advanced to do, or the trick did not end clean, or something else that was just unforeseen before buying. My original goal for my site was to show all of the tricks that are out there and all of the packets (or non original deck tricks), show how they’re done, and then rate them.

After posting here, I got a lot of negative feedback, and I understand where you’re all coming from. It was never my goal to inhibit the profits of other magicians by exposing tricks, so with that said, I’ve thought of a compromise.
What if I don’t expose the packet tricks, but just rate them and tell if they end clean, etc. I could tell what level of skill you need, and what slights difficulties you may encounter before buying. For example, say Nemesis does not end clean, and someone can’t just pick up the deck when you’re done. I got duped when I bought the online tutorial after it said, “ends clean”, and it did not.
Even if I told what slights were done in the packet tricks, someone would still have to go out to buy them (say for ones with unique cards). I think that this would actually increase sales of packet tricks? I’ve seen a LOT of tricks, but I don’t know what ones are good. A magician just showed me a good 4 card monte, and my Dad liked it so much, he bought it for $24. I thought it was a tad expensive, but if it’s really cool / really easy to learn, an on-line review and showing how it’s done could convince someone, such as myself even, to go buy it.

As far as exposure on other tricks, I view it like this. Everyone here has heard of the story of the Titanic. However, even knowing how the story ends, you go to see the movie anyways. This is my take on magic tricks. Even though I could do a short magic routine, I would rather sit down and see a magician do it and leave him a good tip, even though I know how some of it is done. You do it because it’s their take on things, and they have their own unexpected twists – just like movies. So, I’m not entirely sure how showing exposure on my site would inhibit people from seeing magicians in action. I actually believe that it could make more people interested in it.

At any rate, I know my level of skill isn’t where it needs to be to show these things, but I’ll keep working at it. Please don’t flame this post either – respect the guidelines of the forum. I’m just looking for some constructive feedback on the point of “not exposing packet tricks” vs. “exposing packet tricks” – the ones that have unique cards in which you would have to go out and buy the trick regardless of if you knew the slights or not.

Thanks.

Why are you stuck on this idea, you need to just kind of go away.

You obviously don't even understand magic and how it should be taught. Buying packet tricks will not improve, buying books and learning about the history of magic along with how to make them into miracles is what you should be learning. Then you will truly understand the point we have been trying to make to you.

I have no problem with you really, since you semi understand the problem with exposure. Maybe Theory11 isn't the place for you because I can guarantee you will still have people flaming you constantly. So just pack the bags and head to Ellusionist or something and start anew.

Best of Luck and no exposure

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Really... I mean you have to be sh*ting me right Im mean are you serious ....really is this actually happening right now. I would have at least Been smart enough to
open another account but seriously I can't beleive this kid. God I hate to say it but how stupid are you. I mean come on were not that gullible. I usually don't post unless I have somthing helpfull to say but come on. Besides I'm sure there's many other post on this topic.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
At any rate, I know my level of skill isn’t where it needs to be to show these things, but I’ll keep working at it. Please don’t flame this post either – respect the guidelines of the forum. I’m just looking for some constructive feedback on the point of “not exposing packet tricks” vs. “exposing packet tricks” – the ones that have unique cards in which you would have to go out and buy the trick regardless of if you knew the slights or not.

Thanks.

I agree with the posters above.

Don't try to change the subject and the thing about "respect the guidelines" is just a very mediocre and dumb way of "protecting" yourself against the bashing.

This subject still is about exposure, wherever it is packet tricks or coin tricks whatev, it is still EXPOSURE.

And you are a liar man, you are not consistant with your lies "yeah I am 30" yet your dad bought you a monte card trick that was "expensive" in your opinion. I laughed when I read that part.

Sorry but I have to say things like they are.

Mature.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
I feel like I've been running in overtime this weekend. Jeremy - for future reference, please refrain from posting about exposure. Distributing the methods to copyrighted effects without the permission of the creator(s) is not only highly unethical, but it also violates numerous international laws and regulations.

I'm going to close this thread before it turns into another war. Guys - PLEASE be sure to follow all forum guidelines when posting (i.e., be respectful and professional). Thanks in advance for all of your cooperation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results